Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BD's Mongolian Barbeque

no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

BD's Mongolian Barbeque

by Todd Pharris » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:07 pm

According to a sign next to the recently abandoned Shoney's on Hurstbourne Lane, Louisville will soon be getting its first BD's Mongolian Barbeque.

Their website is really really annoying, but I ate at a BD's in Columbus and it had by far the most selections of any Mongolian bbq I've seen. It's an upgrade over Shoney's, at any rate.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:10 pm

Hope it's for real . . . I like flat top in Chicago better, but other than that it's a plus for Louisville!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 pm

andrew mellman wrote:Hope it's for real . . . I like flat top in Chicago better, but other than that it's a plus for Louisville!

Andrew, how would you compare BD's with Louisville's locally owned <b>Shah's Mongolian Grill</b> (formerly <B>2 Hahns</b>)?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:Hope it's for real . . . I like flat top in Chicago better, but other than that it's a plus for Louisville!

Andrew, how would you compare BD's with Louisville's locally owned <b>Shah's Mongolian Grill</b> (formerly <B>2 Hahns</b>)?

It's been a while, so I hesitate to compare.

What I like about BD's is that you select your options, and then they will make it as a salad (stir-fried ingredients atop lettuce), in a wrap, stir-fried on a plate, in a broth, et al! What I don't like is that - at least at the ones I've been to - after a busy day there's stuff all over the floor, and it's generally messy.

Also, I really can't remember which is which, but either BD's or Flat Top will only allow one meat per trip, to avoid cross-contamination (unlimited amounts, and unlimited trips, but only one meat per trip). Maybe someone remembers whether this is BD or Flat Top?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Wow, this is great. Mom and I have been going to Lexington once a month just to go to BDs.

I think the main difference between Shah's and BDs is that the former is done by Asians and BDs is done by non-Asians, which definties affects it. BDs has less Asian-style foods and more American. BDs has duck, meatballs, and sausage as possible meats. Shah's has better vegetable choices, I think. The sauces are a draw, although Shah's has more liquids and BDs has more spices.

The Lexington one had blue BDs T-shirts on sale a month or go or so in which the back said in white text "Cardinals taste like chicken". I wonder what a red one would say in response.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:56 pm

andrew mellman wrote:What I like about BD's is that you select your options, and then they will make it as a salad (stir-fried ingredients atop lettuce), in a wrap, stir-fried on a plate, in a broth, et al! What I don't like is that - at least at the ones I've been to - after a busy day there's stuff all over the floor, and it's generally messy.

Also, I really can't remember which is which, but either BD's or Flat Top will only allow one meat per trip, to avoid cross-contamination (unlimited amounts, and unlimited trips, but only one meat per trip). Maybe someone remembers whether this is BD or Flat Top?

I've been to Lexington 3-5 times now, Columbus once (1st time), and by Indy's Fashion Mall. I don't remember them being messy, but they do get really busy.

Also, I've mixed meats before at BDs, and since Mom always goes the one-trip option, she constantly mixes meats, and nothing has been said. BDs has signs about warning them if one has allergies. At BDs Mom and I often get stuff we didn't put in our bowls, as they can get a bit sloppy in keeping everybody's things from touching others. It's not like it's a big mess between different customer's thing, but stray ingredients often wind up where they don't belong.

Also, unlike other Mongolians I've been too, you put your sauce/spice in a separate, smaller owl, and that gets put on your meat and veggies about a minute before the food is done.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Hmm... awfully close to Shah's.

We'll probably give it a try, but as longtime fans of the former 2 Hahns it's got a tough row to hoe.
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:40 pm

I contacted BD's. They said they plan to open a location in the Louisville area by the end of 2008, but they haven't signed a lease yet.
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:28 pm

The sign is still there, right in front of the old Shoney's.
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:48 pm

Maybe they are keeping it on the down-low? I'm just saying what was e-mailed to me.
no avatar
User

David L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Hanover, IN

by David L. » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Having been to the BD's up on the north side of Indianapolis many times, I'd be very happy to have one so much closer. I don't know about Lexington or other spots in the chain, but the Indy one is usually very clean, and the cooks are very good about keeping everyone's meals separate and distinct.

As for the food, it's quite good. Obviously it depends on what you yourself choose, but every combination I've tried has been delicious.

I know there are a lot of folks out there who don't like chains, but this is a restaurant I fell in love with long before I knew it was a chain. It's still one of our default stops when up in the north Indy area.
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:20 am

Any more news when they'll open? It looks like they might have been hiring last week, given a google search I just did.
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I lived not far from both the Mongolian BBQ and Flat Top Grill in Chicago. I preferred FTG, both for food and definitely for ambiance.
no avatar
User

barry.g

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am

Re: BD's Mongolian Barbeque

by barry.g » Tue May 13, 2008 12:42 pm

sign out front says open in 6 days
called them will open monday may 19 at 11 am
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: BD's Mongolian Barbeque

by Mark Head » Tue May 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Have I missed something? I find Mongolian grill cooking sort of nasty. No taste, doesn't look or feel clean, the raw ingrediants (frozen meat) are incredibly unappealling. A communal rice pot....ugh.

I'm open to new things....but thus far I've been to 2-haun (?) some years ago and a chinese place on the east-end that does a Mongolian grill and I just don't get it. I did contract a bowel problem and indigestion.
Next