Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taco Punk Kickstarter

User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: Taco Punk Kickstarter

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:Where would New Albanian be if it hadnt been for New Albion?

It would be interesting to know how many small brewery start-ups have failed since New Albion's pioneering lifespan.

We started brewing because we had acquired the equipment from the defunct Silver Creek Brewing Corporation, which in turn had purchased it from the defunct Tucker Brewing Company.

Good question, Rob. In my own irreligious way, I try to remember the departed breweries at times while drinking craft beer.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Robin in the Voice Tribune weighs in on kickstarter issue and gives a nice review:

Kick (Re)Start Taco Punk? Sure, Why Not?
Robin Garr | February 20, 2013

http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... e-why-not/
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:00 pm

OK, I've read the whole thread sans what was (I assume) rightfully deleted.

The worst thing anyone can do is respond to ridiculous criticism (Rae Hodge's spiteful essays) with even more ridiculousness. Business owners must be, above anything else, pragmatic.

The perfect response to Hodge's initial destructive nonsense would be just to say "For the very small part of the adventurous review that referred to Ms. Hodge's dining experience, we apologize and certainly will take steps to correct any deficiencies identified. We are always open to constructive criticism, and we will always strive to make our wonderful customers happy. Oh, and we love Nulu!" That's it. And it would have underlined the review's ridiculousness perfectly.

I identify with and admire Sowder's out-in-front thinking (I _really_ identify with this -- people who know me know what I'm talking about). However, pragmatism is going to have to creep back into the picture for all this to have any chance of working.

I have noted many constructive ideas offered in this thread, from professionals and non-professionals alike.

For instance, if you really want to make an environmental impact _and_ reduce costs, use reusable plates and utensils for those who are dining in. Remember (and I say this as an admitted Reduce/Reuse/Recycle Nazi), Reuse comes ahead of Recycle for a reason. You can probably find plates/utensils made of recycled materials, or buy them secondhand (reuse!), or here's a thought: Ask your adoring customers to donate dishes! (and have you checked out Freecycle?) I have a feeling that a dishwasher (human or machine) is less expensive than what you're shelling out for the recycled materials. If you want to use recycled materials, save that for the takeout. And even with that, think of any way you can to _reduce_ what you give to customers without reducing their quality experience.

Another constructive idea was to serve margaritas -- Obvious one, too.

Here's an idea just from me: Expand your definition of "local" in local sourcing. Maybe think more regionally. Yes, it's a compromise, but it may just be a money-saving compromise that's in reality a negligible hit on the environment. And nobody who really cares about your success would blame you for doing this.

In the end, you can be a leader without being a bleeder. :)
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Just a quick follow-up for everyone. The time allocated for the fundraiser has expired, without reaching the goal of $20,000. A little less than half was raised.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:For instance, if you really want to make an environmental impact _and_ reduce costs, use reusable plates and utensils for those who are dining in. Remember (and I say this as an admitted Reduce/Reuse/Recycle Nazi), Reuse comes ahead of Recycle for a reason. You can probably find plates/utensils made of recycled materials, or buy them secondhand (reuse!), or here's a thought: Ask your adoring customers to donate dishes! (and have you checked out Freecycle?) I have a feeling that a dishwasher (human or machine) is less expensive than what you're shelling out for the recycled materials. If you want to use recycled materials, save that for the takeout. And even with that, think of any way you can to _reduce_ what you give to customers without reducing their quality experience.

Another thought along these lines...

Since staff is being paid above-market (and that's perfectly fine), Sowder could ask his employees to wash dishes in their downtime. After all, they're being paid well, so Sowder has the automatic moral authority to request an additional task of his employees.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:In the end, you can be a leader without being a bleeder. :)

All great ideas Steve. But Gabe seemed to reject any input which he thought might "compromise" his position. In light of that stance I wish him all the luck in the world, because he will need it.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 pm

With a five percent profit margin per average restaurant, You got to get most of it right, and real quick like.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 pm

User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Ouch. More bad news: http://louisville.eater.com/archives/20 ... nk-for.php

Hate to hear this.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 am

Well, that escalated quickly.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Ouch. More bad news: http://louisville.eater.com/archives/20 ... nk-for.php

For those who are hesitant to follow imbedded links, here are the lead (2) paragraphs:

Louisville's Metropolitan Business Development Corporation (METCO) is suing Taco Punk for $33,000. In a collections complaint, METCO is claiming that "Made By Hand LLC dba Taco Punk; Gabriel J. Sowder" failed "to pay on a promissory note." The suit, case 13-CI-000939, was filed in Jefferson County Circuit Court on Feb. 22—the same day Taco Punk's Kickstarter campaign failed.

According to the complaint, Made by Hand LLC, doing business as Taco Punk took out a loan for $40,000 from METCO on Aug. 5, 2011. As of Feb. 1, 2013, the unpaid balance was "$33,089.43 plus interest at the rate of 5% per annum from March 1, 2013 until paid." The complaint seeks reimbursement of those funds plus attorneys fees and costs.

Submitted without comment...other than it'll prolly be a cold day in hell before this guy gets another business loan.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Guess I better use up the last of those coupons I have...
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Previous