Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taco Punk Kickstarter

User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Taco Punk Kickstarter

by Steve H » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:Perhaps you need to be a member?

Beats hell out of me. I've never gone there. :? It seems that they'd almost have to have some kind of recourse for people damaged by libelous and other potentially actionable posts, though.

I dug down deeper and found a contact form to report questionable content. I guess we'll see what happens. It would've been nice if they had a little clicky to do that right with the review.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:57 am

Steve H wrote:I dug down deeper and found a contact form to report questionable content. I guess we'll see what happens. It would've been nice if they had a little clicky to do that right with the review.

It might be a kindness to report that to Mr. Dennison, who probably has standing as the libeled party.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

I reported both the post and the "person" to Yelp.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:I reported both the post and the "person" to Yelp.

Great! Thanks and blessings unto you. Seriously.

And now can we put all this angst behind us and get back to talking about Taco Punk? 8)
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Looks like it is gone from Yelp. I mentioned that the content was slanderous and the poster had threatened the mentioned person. I apologize for my part in this. I was having a bad case of insomnia, had attended the funeral of a friend yesterday afternoon and seeing my HotBytes friends being attacked was just the last straw.

Back to your normal programming. I will probably throw on for Taco Punk if only because of. All the negative Nellys out there.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote: I apologize for my part in this. I was having a bad case of insomnia, had attended the funeral of a friend yesterday afternoon and seeing my HotBytes friends being attacked was just the last straw.

Back to your normal programming. I will probably throw on for Taco Punk if only because of. All the negative Nellys out there.

Suzi, there is NO need for apologies. You did the right thing, which is why I said "thanks and blessings" above. And add a hug for the tough time you're going through with the loss of your friend.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 pm

It's a cold day for an outing, but I'm for it. :D
Last edited by Roger A. Baylor on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:t's a cold day for an outing, but I'm for it. :D

I think I'm going to mosey over there for lunch right now.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Actually, we were able to make it over to Taco Punk on Tuesday night and split an order of fish tacos (I was headed for Against the Grain's beer dinner, with a Louisville Beer Store stop). It wasn't enough time to explore the menu, but I liked the food just fine.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Ken B wrote:My experience has always been more like Jeff's than Ron or Doug's, more chips than I want or need, and more than enough in the tortilla to justify the premium price.

Odd. Maybe I got an off day. I went during lunch, so maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe they just went light on me because I used a coupon? Or maybe them running out of the fish on the bar was indicative of them needing to cook up more/make what they had out last long enough to keep the line moving.

Either way, I wasn't so traumatized that I won't be back, and what I got was delicious.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote:t's a cold day for an outing, but I'm for it. :D

I think I'm going to mosey over there for lunch right now.

And so I did! I dropped in on my way to get my locks short at Market Street Barbers just down the street, and the place was slammed, with a line, and a butt in every chair. The service that I once criticized was running like a well-oiled machine, the line moved really fast, and tables were turning over just right.

I got two tacos, chips and a cup of chili, and everything was excellent. I won't say the tacos were hugh-mungous, but they amply filled the tortilla - with any more filling I couldn't have eaten them by hand.

No complaints, none whatsoever, and it looks like Gabe is doing well in the court of public opinion. In the court of Kickstarter, I can't say, but I'll support him there and at the lunch counter.
no avatar
User

GabeSowder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 pm

by GabeSowder » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Thank you for all of the thoughtful advice, observations, support and action. I didn't mean to be dismissive of non-professional input. I just wanted to let members know that baseless flaming accusations tend to get passionate professionals' ire up and degrade the conversation. In all honesty, the on-line influence over restaurants is a constant topic of heated discussion in the industry. Very few professions are under the examination of traditional media, bloggers, forums and bogus review sites like Yelp! and Urban Spoon. Sometimes it can be a bit much to handle. I have simply stopped reading Yelp! and Urban Spoon for reasons already discussed on this forum (and my mental health). I will always value anyone's constructive criticism and thoughtful insights.

In the most recent LEO Jim James gave us, again, words to live by: "(Negativity) doesn't fing matter. You are always going to get the same response: Some will praise you, others will Damn you... It's freeing in a way... But it still fs with you. To this day it still hurts when people say it sucks... you just have to be happy with what you are doing. That's where I find solace." Amen.

I fully realize the risks involved with opening a trend setting restaurant and, yes, I could be "cheaper." But I am unshakeable in my commitment to environmental responsibility and local food sourcing. I have been told by consultants that Taco Punk and its values are "ahead of the market." But I don't believe that. I believe now is the time for Louisville to recognize a business that is doing "all the right things." I believe in the food culture we have here to realize Taco Punk is an industry leader and support our efforts to change the business of fast food in our community -and have a great time doing it. Believe me, Taco Punk is just getting started.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 am

I apologize for not reading through this whole thread right now.

If I recall correctly some grilled-cheese guy was profiled in Louisville Mag and he was saying that his food trucks are the thing which make the money while the restaurant pulls OK numbers.

Apologies if this is something TP has already considered or has been discussed here.

This is an interesting clinic on food truck business, albeit in Philly which is a short southwest flight away: https://www.facebook.com/events/137275149768710/
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Cool to see all the positive reviews.

I have had awesome experiences in my last couple of visits. Still my favorite guacamole in town!

Plus if anyone knows Gabe you know how passionate and talented the guy is. I am glad to see so many people coming out to support him.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
DanB wrote:But even if he does fail his test case might be a useful building block for the next guy or gal. So if you are one of those who supports those same ideals, if you talk about higher retail wages or local sourcing or organics etc, your investment may be more than just a short term cash injection into a weak balance sheet. It might just be a bit of fertilizer for something more important.

Good points all the way around. The above paragraph is a useful (perhaps sobering) reminder of how often successes are preceded by failures.

Where would New Albanian be if it hadnt been for New Albion?
PreviousNext