Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

by Gayle DeM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm going to go back to talking about food and booze.

I agree! You know, Antonia, I thought that was the idea of the "Louisville Restaurant Forum!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Antonia L wrote:Steve, we just disagree. And now I regret responding at all. I hate these pissing contests. I'm going to go back to talking about food and booze.

Oh, I don't mind disagreements, and please continue to respond whenever the spirit moves you!

I think another way we disagree is that assholeliness doesn't begin and end with name calling and naughty words. These can sometimes be tools for righteousness. :lol:
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Antonia L wrote:Joel didn't insult anyone outright or call names - other than "troll," I guess. I must confess to not fully knowing the implications of that term... Nor caring, really. He did use sarcasm and probably came on a bit too strong from the get-go. But Joel does not deserve this piling-on. Disagree if you must, but is it necessary to call someone stupid and immature while you do it?

Will has a good point, that lots of our establishments used to restrict certain classifications of people. No, I don't think we should boycott them all, and I doubt Joel does, either. Sounds to me like he was just responding to a bigger issue he has seen around here. I tend not to weigh in on various things here for some similar reasons. Kind of the same reasons I would sit quietly in class as a kid, watching the loud boys get all the attention from the teachers. Raising one's hand politely doesn't get you very far when boys are shouting out answers and making fart noises with their armpits.

It's hard for me to believe this even came from you Antonia. Whether JoelH insulted anyone or not is not for you to say. Obviously, I was insulted as were several others. Your own childhood issues have no bearing here. You should not try to speak for Joel. He has done that himself. The fact that you and Rolbin would give him a free pass on this just makes me sad.

You first supported Joel's stand and then when Bob and Carol admit that they are long time members of the "evil club" you're all on board. Do you see a disconnect here? Bob and Carol are aces in your book but they belong to the club that Joel says is an evil entity. Perhaps you would like to rethink your initial response that took several of us to task for for telling Joel he was out of line? Maybe not, I won't see you at the Pendennis Club no matter how you respond.

I was there and I did talk to both the white female who was at the reception desk and I did talk to a black server in the downstairs restaurant dressed in sparkling white. You know what I know based on that. Nothing really. The fact that they have such a reputation is more important to me than than anything. If they want to shed this reputation than they can do so easily. The fact that the pervailing impression is that they are racist and elitist is entirely their fault in my opinion and I'll have none of them as long as they make no attempt to prove otherwise.

At the same time, I will not condone the type of condemnation that JoelH spewed in his post that encompassed more than just the "evil Pendennis" club but was extended to anyone who objected to KenB''s opinion about beer pairing. You may notice that I made no fart noises in this post.
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:35 pm

What I want to know about Joel's response is how does he know so much about all us old, angry white guys. I have never met Mr. Joel and yet he is defended for calling me racist. Now I take offense because some of my best friends are......... racists and I don't want to be them. Of course I used to get in fights defending my black buddies during the forced busing in the 70s. Then in college I had to put up with the looks and the under the breath comments about my black girl friend. There were a few punches thrown in those days. Joel has no idea what it was like in the old days. Or maybe he does. I have never met him and do not how old he is.

The responses are strange here. He is defended when called immature but others are not when they are called derogatory names like racist. And old. Oh well. This is one crazy ass forum. Luckily I know who I am and my true friends know who I am. So I don't get my panties in a wad. So let Joel take his ball and go home. Maybe his mom will make him some milk toast and he will be all better.

Now I still want to know from Bob if there are restricted rooms..... Come on man. Speak up.
Will Crawford
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Will Crawford wrote:What I want to know about Joel's response is how does he know so much about all us old, angry white guys. I have never met Mr. Joel and yet he is defended for calling me racist.

Okay, Will I'm just talking to you now and here is how I feel. I think most all of us are prejudice to some extent. The best we can do is recognize it and try not to let it influence how we act. Most people who think otherwise are either in denial or have no introspective tendencies at all.

I've worked closely with and for many different races and both sexes and that experience is what has informed my current opinion about the issue. I recognize that many have not had the benefit of my experience so I try not to judge others too harshly.

My best boss ever was a black woman and the second best best was a white woman with a southern accent so strong you had to stop yourself from checking that she was wearing shoes. I ask you, how could any idea that I was superior survive that?

I married the valedictorian of my high school and I've lived, by anyone's measure, a successful life. I, without any hesitation, tell you that I believe that people are people without regard to their race or sex. I try hard to judge each individual only by my experience with them. Beyond that I'm as lost as anyone.

I applaud your efforts to try get some first hand knowledge from the Pendennis Club. The rest who just spouted old hear say should thank you as well in my opinion. Cheers!
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 pm

So Bob, are there rooms or entire floors where Carol can not go? Inquiring minds need to know.

Will, sorry we have been so long answering your question (grandkid weekend!). I have been in every room/floor at the Pendennis EXCEPT the men's locker room (which I understand is being worked on) and the men's restrooms (which I usually don't frequent)!! There were restrictions in the past but this is NOT 1960 and they have evolved like many other places have. I think there are a lot of misconceptions out there and people refuse to acknowledge that a club like the Pendennis could change. It is a truly beautiful building and remember, they gave us Henry Bain Sauce!!!

We'll be in touch.
Last edited by Carol C on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Carol C wrote: remember, they gave us Henry Bain Sauce!!!

Word. 8)
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carol C » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Word. 8)

?????
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Carol C wrote:
Word. 8)

?????

Meaning "This!" or "Like" or "+1". :)
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Or WORD UP!

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Carol C wrote:
and remember, they gave us Henry Bain Sauce!!!

Which brings us full circle now, doesn't it?
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Carol C wrote:
So Bob, are there rooms or entire floors where Carol can not go? Inquiring minds need to know.

Will, sorry we have been so long answering your question (grandkid weekend!). I have been in every room/floor at the Pendennis EXCEPT the men's locker room (which I understand is being worked on) and the men's restrooms (which I usually don't frequent)!! There were restrictions in the past but this is NOT 1960 and they have evolved like many other places have. I think there are a lot of misconceptions out there and people refuse to acknowledge that a club like the Pendennis could change. It is a truly beautiful building and remember, they gave us Henry Bain Sauce!!!

We'll be in touch.

Thank goodness that we were not in some "Parallax View" moment regarding the information supplied to me by the nice guy on the phone.
Will Crawford
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carol C » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Absolutely... Thanks Gary!!!
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 am

Will Crawford wrote:So I don't get my panties in a wad. So let Joel take his ball and go home. Maybe his mom will make him some milk toast and he will be all better.

:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome.
Previous