Home | List of Restaurants | Restaurant Sites | About Us | Contact Us
 
Louisville Restaurants Forum

Skip to content

A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Welcome to the interactive Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

GaryF
Foodie
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Jeremy J » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 pm

(Since Bain’s day — he died in 1928 — the Pendennis has admitted women and, in 1999, according to The Courier-Journal of Louisville, at least one black member.)


Wow. Really stepping it up. :?

To my knowledge there are still entire floors women are not allowed on. Gross. PD Club is freaking gross.
User avatar
Jeremy J
Foodie
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Deb Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 am

Nice article about the history of Henry Bain sauce, but a black-eye for Louisville nationally. :(

Deb
User avatar
Deb Hall
Foodie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: EAST END, Louisville

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 am

Jeremy J wrote:
(Since Bain’s day — he died in 1928 — the Pendennis has admitted women and, in 1999, according to The Courier-Journal of Louisville, at least one black member.)


Wow. Really stepping it up. :?

To my knowledge there are still entire floors women are not allowed on. Gross. PD Club is freaking gross.


Some hot journalism there, relying on nothing but a 14-year-old source. I just recently got a tour of the club from a member and I'm pretty sure I saw women everywhere except the men's locker room.
Jeff Cavanaugh
Foodie
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Jeremy J » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

Actually, I'm relying on the account of an acquaintance who works there currently.
User avatar
Jeremy J
Foodie
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Andrew Mellman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:
(Since Bain’s day — he died in 1928 — the Pendennis has admitted women and, in 1999, according to The Courier-Journal of Louisville, at least one black member.)


Wow. Really stepping it up. :?

To my knowledge there are still entire floors women are not allowed on. Gross. PD Club is freaking gross.


Some hot journalism there, relying on nothing but a 14-year-old source. I just recently got a tour of the club from a member and I'm pretty sure I saw women everywhere except the men's locker room.


Still is at least one dining room to which women are not admitted.
Andrew Mellman
AJMellman@att.net
Andrew Mellman
Foodie
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Louisville

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Deb Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm

And the justificaction/ reasoning for this is????
User avatar
Deb Hall
Foodie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: EAST END, Louisville

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby David R. Pierce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Deb Hall wrote:And the justificaction/ reasoning for this is????

Cooties?
8)
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
New Albanian Brewing Co.
New Albany, IN 47150
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User avatar
David R. Pierce
Foodie
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm
Location: Bank Street Bewhouse by day, Crescent Hill by night.

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Deb Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:48 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:And the justificaction/ reasoning for this is????

Cooties?
8)

LMAO :lol: , David. I literally wrote that and erased it- Thought it sounded juvenile....
Deb
User avatar
Deb Hall
Foodie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: EAST END, Louisville

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby David R. Pierce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:And the justificaction/ reasoning for this is????

Cooties?
8)

LMAO :lol: , David. I literally wrote that and erased it- Thought it sounded juvenile....
Deb

In all honesty, this is just one of many things that make me ashamed to be a white male.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
New Albanian Brewing Co.
New Albany, IN 47150
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User avatar
David R. Pierce
Foodie
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm
Location: Bank Street Bewhouse by day, Crescent Hill by night.

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Alan H » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Jeremy J wrote:Actually, I'm relying on the account of an acquaintance who works there currently.


I have two customers that say the same :shock:
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User avatar
Alan H
Foodie
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Highlands

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Actually when I wrote mainstay I meant the Henry Bain Sauce, but I'm happy to see the larger discussion. Quite honestly, I didn't realize the Pendennis Club still existed.
GaryF
Foodie
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:10 pm

GaryF wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't realize the Pendennis Club still existed.

I knew it existed, but I think the larger point here is that the Pendennis Club is no longer relevant. It might have been the center for power brokers and the place where Louisville's decisions were made back in another era. I won't deny my grandfather was a member (but not a racist. :oops: ) But I can't even imagine who'd pay dues for it now, other than maybe a few old retired rich guys, clipping their coupons and watching the sun set on their memories.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum host
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm
Location: Crescent Hill

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Suzi Bernert » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 pm

When I was working downtown, the rumor mill had it that membership was so down that if they did not have rental income from wedding receptions and such, they would have to close. I have never been there as a patron and feel no need to go.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"You want fries with that?"
User avatar
Suzi Bernert
Foodie
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

Postby Dan Thomas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 am

I don't know why everyone is shocked about this. Rooms that are restricted to women at private clubs is a pretty common practice everywhere. Most "Grill Rooms" are restricted to women for at least part of the day. I don't really understand why women would want to seek entrance to a dark room where a bunch of drunk, grumpy old curmudgeons are cussing about politics, local sports while playing cards. :roll:
Last edited by Dan Thomas on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Thomas
Operator Specialist
Key Impact Sales & Systems

dthomas@kisales.com

"People who aren't interested in food seem rather dry, unloving and don't have a real gusto for life."
Julia Child
User avatar
Dan Thomas
Foodie
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 am
Location: Sunny Forest Hills

Next

Return to Louisville Restaurants Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alison Hanover, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests