Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Edward Lee's MilkWood set to open at Actors Theatre

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm not fond of over-written news releases like this, but there's plenty of info here and I'm short on time today, so I dump it in un-edited for your enjoyment. ;)

ACTORS THEATRE OF LOUISVILLE & CHEF EDWARD LEE ANNOUNCE NEW RESTAURANT NAME & CONCEPT
Nationally Acclaimed Chef Edward Lee's Much Anticipated New Restaurant MilkWood Will Offer Comfort Food With An Asian Pantry

Louisville, KY– Actors Theatre of Louisville’s Managing Director, Jennifer Bielstein and Artistic Director, Les Waters are thrilled to announce that nationally recognized Executive Chef Edward Lee’s much-anticipated new restaurant MilkWood will open to the public officially on February 8. Situated in the heart of Main Street and housed in the lower level of Actors Theatre of Louisville’s theatre complex, the modern bar-restaurant will boast a menu featuring comfort food with an Asian pantry.

Jennifer Bielstein said, "We are honored to partner with Edward Lee in this new endeavor at Actors Theatre. Lee’s inquisitive and passionate approach to food is the perfect complement to the work we create at Actors and we could not be more thrilled to have his energy and creativity in our building. MilkWood will offer a relaxed gathering space for our patrons to enjoy a perfect evening at the theatre!"

Edward Lee added, "I am excited to be part of the history and the enthusiasm that Actors Theatre has brought to the arts community of Louisville. Our goal is to be as creative with our food as the theatre has been with their productions."

MilkWood aspires to be a communal and convivial gathering space for diners. The restaurant’s name pays homage to Dylan Thomas’ Under Milkwood—a heartwarming play for multiple voices about the inhabitants of a colorful and whimsical village that Lee reflects is “much like Louisville” in its representation of an “authentically one-of-kind community.” Under Milkwood was also, coincidentally, the play with which former Artistic Director Jon Jory made his Actors debut with in 1969. Lee and his team have created a space that imbues a casual yet refined ambiance that Lee hopes, like the restaurant’s name, will evoke a “comforting and nurturing atmosphere”.

MilkWood will seat 75 in the dining room and 25 at the bar. Described as comfort food with an Asian pantry, the menu will feature enticing small plates like Asian Fried Chicken and Smoked Brisket offering creative and surprising twists on familiar dishes.Chef Kevin Ashworth has been appointed to operate the kitchen and run the restaurant on a daily basis. Ashworth has been an integral team member at 610 Magnolia for the past two years. Appetizers will range from $7-$12 with main courses priced from $12-$22, making the restaurant competitively priced with neighboring downtown restaurants. A full bar, featuring wine-on-tap, craft beers and a cocktail list will also be available.

The restaurant will be open Tuesday – Sunday with dinner service beginning at 5.30 p.m. MilkWood will begin taking reservations on February 4, 2013. These can be made by calling 502-584-MILK (6455) or by emailing newrestaurantatactors@gmail.com. For more information, visit ActorsTheatre.org/milkwood.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Re: Edward Lee's MilkWood set to open at Actors Theatre

by Antonia L » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 pm

I love the derivation of the name.

I also like the price range.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Antonia L wrote:I love the derivation of the name.

I also like the price range.

Agreed on both counts, although they could have lost the capital W and I wouldn't have minded. :mrgreen:
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Wasn't Len Stevens supposed to be involved with this? I don't see his name mentioned in the press release.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19964
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:Wasn't Len Stevens supposed to be involved with this? I don't see his name mentioned in the press release.

http://forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/vi ... =1&t=19964

I'm pretty sure Len is, but this news release seems designed to focus on the SuperStars ...
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 pm

I like the name too, but I'd like it better without the superfluously-capitalized W (as noted). That said, definitely going to check this out. Kevin Ashworth might be the most talented young chef in Louisville, in my opinion, and if he's running the kitchen it's bound to be good.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 pm

As a dissenting opinion, I, personally, don't care for the name. It makes me think of milkweed, and while I enjoy dairy, for some reason the idea of milk and viscous white liquid comes to mind and I find it unappetizing.

Of course, I am not familiar with the Dylan Thomas play, as I am brutish, unrefined, and only semi-literate.

Not that the name would prevent me from trying the restaurant... I'm still intrigued, and we will certainly check it out at some point.