Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Downtown Atlanta

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Downtown Atlanta

by Kris Billiter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:05 am

Hey all! I am in downtown Atlanta until Monday and would love your recs for some good local food. I have no car but am comfortable on Marta. I do plan on heading to Mary Mac's, but am open to all suggestions, including some less expensive ideas. I'm at the Westin if that helps location wise. Thanks for any help!
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Phillipe's Bistro should be very nice. It is Belgian/French. Here is the location: 10 Kings Cir NE, Atlanta, GA 30305
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Price range*: $9-40
Neighborhood: Buckhead/Brookhaven
Tel: (404) 231-4113
Fax: +1 404 231 4112

Another choice would be Joel Restaurant:
3290 Northside Pkwy , Atlanta, GA 30327
Cuisines: Asian, French
Price range*: $41-80
Special features: Business
Neighborhood: Buckhead/Brookhaven
Tel: 404 233 3500
Fax: 404 467 9450

Those are a couple that we have heard of that are very nice. We briefly sold mushrooms to Phillipe when we were trying the Atlanta market a few years ago.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

hans m

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Atlanta Eats

by hans m » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 am

I posted this a few months back, but thought it might help you.

Buford highway is a great bet for nearly any type of ethnic food imaginable. A few of the places I used to frequent were:

C'om Vietnamese Grill (vietnamese fusion)
Pho Bac (more classical pho place)
Ming's Korean BBQ (very small place, authentic, very cheap)
Hae Woon Dae (Great bulgogi and kalbi prepared right in front of you)
BBQ Corner II or Canton House(Great dim sum)

Some other favorites around Atlanta:
Little Bangkok -- Cheshire Bridge Rd. -- my favorite place for Thai/Chinese (they do both very well) in atl area. I would highly recommend the panang curry, it's the best i've found in atlanta. Other daily specials are also usually amazing.

Baraonda -- Peachtree in Midtown
-Great gourmet pizzas topped with everything from apples to brie

for a late night pizza snack - Fellini's is the standby (mult locations)

More upscale faves:

RATHBUN'S - this place is amazing. I've been twice and have been impressed both times. The rare thai beef, and the sea scallops with country ham grits were brilliant.

Fogo De Chao - not sure if you've been to a Brazillian Churrascaria (there are probably 7 or 8 in Atlanta by now...Fogo is the best), but it's quite an experience. They bring out 14 or 15 cuts of beef, chicken, lamb, etc on large skewers. The meat keeps coming until you flip over your card from green to red. This process continues until you finish your meal. They also have a wonderful salad bar stocked with smoked salmon, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella balls, and other treats.

I've heard good things about a fairly new place called Repast.

You'll probably hear about One Midtown Kitchen and Two Urban Licks, two creations of Atlanta restaurant mogul Bob Amick. While these places seem to wow most with their grandeur and design, the food itself is somewhat marginal. Of the two OMK is better, but I wouldn't frequent either.

People rave about the brunch at Watershed as well. I had it a few years back and wasn't that impressed, but they may have changed things up so I really don't know. The Indigo Girls actually own this restaurant in Decatur.

Flying Biscuit is the Atlanta breakfast landmark. The have large, exploding biscuits that seem to defy conventional baking possibilities.

The Varsity is another landmark. Great, greasy goodness.

As far as steaks go, I haven't had the best experiences at Bone's, although everyone else seems to enjoy it. I prefer Prime (in Lenox Mall) or The Capital Grille in Buckhead.

I gotta get back to work, just thought I'd throw out a few places.

Hope this helps.
no avatar
User

hans m

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Atlanta Eats

by hans m » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 am

I posted this a few months back, but thought it might help you.

Buford highway is a great bet for nearly any type of ethnic food imaginable. A few of the places I used to frequent were:

C'om Vietnamese Grill (vietnamese fusion)
Pho Bac (more classical pho place)
Ming's Korean BBQ (very small place, authentic, very cheap)
Hae Woon Dae (Great bulgogi and kalbi prepared right in front of you)
BBQ Corner II or Canton House(Great dim sum)

Some other favorites around Atlanta:
Little Bangkok -- Cheshire Bridge Rd. -- my favorite place for Thai/Chinese (they do both very well) in atl area. I would highly recommend the panang curry, it's the best i've found in atlanta. Other daily specials are also usually amazing.

Baraonda -- Peachtree in Midtown
-Great gourmet pizzas topped with everything from apples to brie

for a late night pizza snack - Fellini's is the standby (mult locations)

More upscale faves:

RATHBUN'S - this place is amazing. I've been twice and have been impressed both times. The rare thai beef, and the sea scallops with country ham grits were brilliant.

Fogo De Chao - not sure if you've been to a Brazillian Churrascaria (there are probably 7 or 8 in Atlanta by now...Fogo is the best), but it's quite an experience. They bring out 14 or 15 cuts of beef, chicken, lamb, etc on large skewers. The meat keeps coming until you flip over your card from green to red. This process continues until you finish your meal. They also have a wonderful salad bar stocked with smoked salmon, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella balls, and other treats.

I've heard good things about a fairly new place called Repast.

You'll probably hear about One Midtown Kitchen and Two Urban Licks, two creations of Atlanta restaurant mogul Bob Amick. While these places seem to wow most with their grandeur and design, the food itself is somewhat marginal. Of the two OMK is better, but I wouldn't frequent either.

People rave about the brunch at Watershed as well. I had it a few years back and wasn't that impressed, but they may have changed things up so I really don't know. The Indigo Girls actually own this restaurant in Decatur.

Flying Biscuit is the Atlanta breakfast landmark. The have large, exploding biscuits that seem to defy conventional baking possibilities.

The Varsity is another landmark. Great, greasy goodness.

As far as steaks go, I haven't had the best experiences at Bone's, although everyone else seems to enjoy it. I prefer Prime (in Lenox Mall) or The Capital Grille in Buckhead.

I gotta get back to work, just thought I'd throw out a few places.

Hope this helps