Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Palermo Viejo

no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

Palermo Viejo

by Neal M » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Went to Palermo Viejo for about the 3rd time last night. Arrived late and although it took us a while to open our menus our server was very accomodating, not rushing us at all. We started with the Grilled Provolone appetizer, delicious. My partner had the Chicken Portgesa (sp?) and I had the flank steak with chimmichuri. Both entrees were excellent but nothing prepared me for the Crepes with Caramel sauce (Dulche de whatever, lol) I had for dessert. Light and gooey crepe and OMG the sauce.....let's just say I was tempted to lick the plate. Service was informative, friendly and even though we pushed passed closing time, totally relaxed and non rushed. This is one of my new favorites!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:55 pm

PV rocks.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Love, love, LOVE Palermo. Any cut of meat they cook comes out delicious. And while the chimichurri is incredbile, the meat itself doesn't really need anything added.

And the crepes with dulce de leche are now my absolute favorite dessert.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:44 pm

They're definitely on my short list for restaurants to try.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 pm

We had a wonderful meal at Palermo last Friday evening. Even my in-laws from Texas, who pride themselves in getting the senior citizen discount on the kiddie meal at Culver's, RAVED about it! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!! I think the finest piece of beef they've ever tasted before PV was at the early bird special at Steak and Ale. There's hope for all those non-foodies out there yet!!!

My father-in-law said we should make it an annual event... I must say it was the most enjoyable meal we've ever shared... and the wine didn't hurt! It was my first time to have the short ribs and I already want them, along with the sweetbreads, again.

Special thanks to Frank, who took my call that afternoon, and squeezed us in for an early dinner. I was so happy to see the place packed out. It was a truly memorable evening!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:36 am

This is the next place the husband and I are going to try.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:09 pm

removed
Last edited by Sherry Deatrick on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Sherry Deatrick wrote:Had dinner at PV last night and was sooo disappointed. I got the meat sampler with chorizo. The beef cuts were fatty and tough. My SO ordered his NY Strip well done (gasp! I know, sacrilege, but whattyagonna do?) and he had to send it back at least 3 times, still pink inside. He told them he'd go ahead and eat it anyway, since I was almost done eating by that time. They offered to "discount" his steak. When the bill came, we found they took off the whopping sum of $4.00 for the inconvenience. PLUS they charged me $.50 for some extra chimmichurri that I asked for, since the dish didn't appear to have much on it, even though it's touted as being drizzled with the sauce.

The fries that came with my meal were soggy from sitting in the meat juices. They just aren't good like they were in the beginning of this restaurant. We were so angry at ourselves for eating there, when Seviche's is right up the street. Never again.

Oh yeah, the mojito tasted like after shave.

which beef cuts were "fatty", the filet? The short ribs should have fat on them.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:51 am

Wow. I've never heard any similar complaints about Palermo. I just went Tuesday and everything was fantastic! Some of the cuts of meat on the Parillada de Bife (sp?) are fatty cuts, but the flavor is incredible. Also, the juice on the fries is usually the chimichurri that has run down from the meat.

I'm sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience. I know, even the best places on earth have off nights, but I've never experienced one at Palermo, so I was just assuming they didn't exist.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Francisco Elbl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 pm

by Francisco Elbl » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 pm

Sherry, I am sorry you were disappointed in your meal the other night. The only item that I heard a complaint about from your table was the well done strip steak, not your meal or your drink. We discounted the steak because a well done steak is a steak with a core temp. over 180. The steak your husband was given on the second cooking was well over 200 degrees and I do believe that your husband did take the rest of the steak with him (So that he can cook it at home). Free range steaks tend to maintain a certain pink just because the beef itself has a darker redder hue than non free range steaks. As to the parrillada de bife, the fries tend to soak up the chimichurri, which in turn makes them soggy. Most people like this because it is a great way to get every last drop of chimi. We can always put the fries on the side if you so request. I again am sorry that you were disappointed and would have appreciated you talking to myself or my manager Michelle so we could have resolved any ill feelings before you wrote comments like you did on this board. I appreciate this forum for what it does and that is to inform people of both good and bad experiences. I would not have found out about your full experience if it had not been for this forum. Thanks to the people who have been writing such wonderful things about PV and thank you Robin for maintain what is such a wonderful tool for restaurant owners.
Francisco J. Elbl
Owner Palermo Viejo
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Sherrie,
No disrespect intended, but if one wants a welldone steak, they don't want steak at all. Welldone is like drinking Sutter Home white Zinfandel and stating you drink wine, but I ordered the Red Zin that was dry and awful. I have no affiliation to PV other than as a customer. They do care about the customer and I believe would want to make it right. Give them another shot and ask ahead of time for suggestions.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:08 pm

Kurt R. wrote:Sherrie,
No disrespect intended, but if one wants a welldone steak, they don't want steak at all. Welldone is like drinking Sutter Home white Zinfandel and stating you drink wine, but I ordered the Red Zin that was dry and awful. I have no affiliation to PV other than as a customer.

No disrespect intended to you either, but I don't think your comment was necessarily fair. I get my steaks usually medium well, but haven't always. Just because I didn't like any pink didn't mean that I was spoiling the dish. Afterall, if we were all meant to eat medium rare or whatever you eat, they wouldn't ask how we want it cooked. I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounded, but for those individuals that would prefer white zin to something that you may like and well done to whatever you prefer, we have every right to enjoy our food and drink the way we want it without being frowned upon.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:27 pm

I tend to look at criticism like that as being more about the type of food rather than the quality. Some folks just go in expecting something different. It's like when people criticize Pat's for cooking their green beans for hours with country ham. Yes, the beans are very well-cooked. This is not a mistake, this is a style of cooking. It's perfectly fine not to like it, but it doesn't mean that Pat's did something wrong.

These folks just sound like they aren't into the Argentine style of cooking beef with chimichuri. Someone who loves Outback might not like Palermo Viejo. Different strokes for different folks.

peronally, I start to drool just by driving by Palermo Viejo. Those fries, those sweetbreads . . . :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:we have every right to enjoy our food and drink the way we want it without being frowned upon.

Let the record reflect that this is in fact one of the core principles of the forum. Nobody should be snobbed on for their personal tastes in food or drink.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:16 pm

You all have stated things better than I communicated.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
Next