Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Illegal Aliens Arrested Locally

by TanyaD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:46 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Illegal Aliens Arrested Locally

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:04 pm

TanyaD wrote:http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=7364666

Maybe it's just me, but irrespective of the immigration issues here, I'm not real comfortable with the idea of federal strike forces hammering down doors in our local communities without any real supervision by local authorities, or, apparently, skeptical analysis by the media.

Today it's the immigrants. Tomorrow, the liberals? Rev. Niemoller, where are you?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:12 pm

I understand that these people are in the country illegally. There is nothing about the term "illegal" that I don't understand. But, that being said, we are spending all of this time and effort busting people who just want to work their asses off doing jobs that no one else wants to do. The same people that bemoan all of these freeloaders who just live off the government cheer when we arrest people who just want to work really hard.

I do not approve of looking the other way or tacitly permitting undocumented workers, but there has to be a better solution.

I'd much rather hear about law enforcement using big hammer to break down the doors to crackhouses and violent criminals than families of people whose only crime is to put in a 12 hour workday.
User

KrisHamilton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Okolona

by KrisHamilton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:38 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I'd much rather hear about law enforcement using big hammer to break down the doors to crackhouses and violent criminals than families of people whose only crime is to put in a 12 hour workday.

The crime is being here illegally, it doesn't matter what they do while they break the law.

I don't know what the solution is either, but a crime is a crime.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:39 pm

Our delivery driver said that the Jumbo Buffet was being busted when he was trying to deliver their order. They had most of the kitchen locked up. Needless to say they did not except the food and most likely had to close that night.
Will Crawford
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:49 pm

KrisHamilton wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:I'd much rather hear about law enforcement using big hammer to break down the doors to crackhouses and violent criminals than families of people whose only crime is to put in a 12 hour workday.

The crime is being here illegally, it doesn't matter what they do while they break the law.

I don't know what the solution is either, but a crime is a crime.

Did you read this part of my post?

I understand that these people are in the country illegally. There is nothing about the term "illegal" that I don't understand.
I do not approve of looking the other way or tacitly permitting undocumented workers, but there has to be a better solution.

I'm just glad that rounding up people who didn't get a travel visa ranks as such a high priority. I feel safer already. :roll:
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 pm

If you can substantiate that law enforcement is knowlingly passing by crack houses to arrest illegals then I would more or less agree; on the other hand, there is a system by which to enter this nation legally and ultimately attain citizenship. I don't have much, if any, sympathy for the influx of undocumented workers regardless of their intents.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:39 pm

Mark you too have hit the nail on the Head.... :D :D
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Regardless of your feelings on the immigration issue, the ICE official's comment about illegals taking away jobs from Americans is complete hogwash, IMO. To say they're undercutting American wages is hogwash too. I've seen plenty of examples where illegals were getting paid $15 and up per hour because the business owner couldn't fill the jobs with American workers. In most cases, the illegals are twice as productive and cause half as many problems.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:57 am

This is a touchy issue for me. We have a bussiness that often relies on immigrant labor,AG/HORT related. I have been known to hire them in the past. I have known some of these people to be the finest and most hard working individuals I have ever met. Most had only their families well being in mind. Most of us in this country emmigrated from elsewhere. I dont think they are taking away that many jobs, try to get a high school kid today to cut tobbaco. I used to think that people that were anti undocumented workers were just thinly veiled racists. After taking a deeper look into the burden that is placed on social services, hospitals and communties I cannot overlook the problem. In my experience most of the money I paid out went straight over the border, very little spent here. These are good people overall, but still here illegally. We cannot pardon all the good people that commit crimes. This said I do not have an answer for the problem we now have. I dont think it is possible to ship out 12 million people and I dont think it is poosible to secure the borders. We can only hope that their home countries someday have the economies that will encourage people to live and prosper at home.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:25 am

This is a subject that bothers me. I was born to a Puerto Rican father and Mexican mother. Both entered the country without a visa. They later got one. My mother started working at age five, because my family had little money and there were so many jobs available, that most Americans would'nt do. I think that maybe if we focused on all the terrorist that enter our country with the intent to harm us and let the Mexicans work the fields in California (like I did at age 7) this might be a better solution. It's easy for Americans to say "send all those Mexicans back where they came from" But most will not touch some of theses jobs, that help our economy. I am proud of my heritage and if it was'nt for my mother I would'nt have the work ethic I have today. I will not ask any of my staff to do anything that I would'nt do. I take out trash, wash dishes, bus tables, etc. This is how I've been able to have people working for me from 3 to 9 years. I've only been in Louisville for 11 years! I'm proud of my heritage and will continue to hire " illegal aliens" if that's what you want to call them, so call the police on me! I'm not scared and I will deal with it. I'm proud to help anyone who enters this country trying to make a better living and not trying to hurt us. It was'nt Mexicans flying the planes into the World trade center. This is just my opinion!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 am

Mark Head wrote:If you can substantiate that law enforcement is knowlingly passing by crack houses to arrest illegals then I would more or less agree; on the other hand, there is a system by which to enter this nation legally and ultimately attain citizenship. I don't have much, if any, sympathy for the influx of undocumented workers regardless of their intents.

Let's meet up one day. I will drive you to some crack houses. We can sit there for a few hours and count the police cruisers that pass by without stopping. Sound good?

Maybe if L.E. cracked down on all the big corporations that hire these workers, supply them with fake social security numbers, and profit off of the problem, they would stop coming. Do you think they would cross the border in the same numbers if no one hired them?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 am

John Hagan wrote: I used to think that people that were anti undocumented workers were just thinly veiled racists. After taking a deeper look into the burden that is placed on social services, hospitals and communties I cannot overlook the problem. In my experience most of the money I paid out went straight over the border, very little spent here.

I read an article recently about a town and surrounding county that had enough and really cracked down on illegal immigrants. It worked. They managed to get rid of almost all of them. Within a year, many of the downtown businesses started going under. Turned out that the downtown economy was largely supported by the immigrant community. Yes, they may send money back home, but they still have to pay rent, buy food, etc.

There is also the myth that these people are a financial burden on our public services. Just the opposite is true. They are a windfall. They are supplied with fake social security numbers, so the money withheld from their paychecks gets paid into social security, but they never receive any of it. They help fund SSI, Medicare and Medicaid, but they get none of the benefits.

I don't want to condone illegal activity, but I really can't figure out how this issue impacts my life in any way. These people don't scare me.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:49 am

Well said! Mr. Ron Johnson. You are a man with passion.
Muchas gracias y buen provecho! I learned this from my illegal mother. It means thank you and good eating!
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:09 am

I heard recently (well, a few months ago) that a bill was in the works that would make it more difficult to hire undocumented immigrants. Apparently, once a business files their taxes, the IRS would notify them of all the inaccurate social security numbers. The business would then be given a certain amount of time to either fix the clerical error or, in the event that it was not an error, fire all those employees who had submitted improper social security numbers. If the business failed to do so, they would be fined. I don't know where in the works this bill is, but (with neither support nor disdain for it) I thought it was an interesting way to target the issue.

I am also one who does not feign to have a solution to this issue. But I will say this. I think a lot of people forget that these "illegal aliens" are people. They're not an animal that wandered outside the wildlife refuge. They are HUMAN BEINGS. Just like us. They are here for a reason. And for 99% of them, it isn't to do harm to anyone here. It is to take care of themselves and their families, like we try to do everyday. I'm very unsettled by the fact that we are so quick to drop bombs on a country on the other side of the Ocean in an effort to "help" them (and yes, I am aware of what a bad man S.H. was), but we don't even think twice about the people that are living in crappy conditions just feet from our front door. It's unfortunate. I am also acutely aware that some people just shrug this off and don't give a s**t.

I think I have a hell of a life. Sure, I'm up to my eyeballs in student debt, but I am in need of nothing. I never worry that I won't have a warm bed and 3 satisfying meals a day. I never worry that the water isn't safe to drink or that I won't be able to get medical treatment if I become seriously ill. I count my blessings everyday and there are plenty to count. There are a lot of people in this world (and I mean A LOT) that don't have this luxury. How can I fault them for trying? Quite frankly, If I were in their position and I needed to, I would probably do the same thing.

On a side note: perhaps this thread would have been better suited on the "All About Louisville" Forum?
Next