Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:56 am

"I'm not scared and I will deal with it. I'm proud to help anyone who enters this country trying to make a better living and not trying to hurt us. It was'nt Mexicans flying the planes into the World trade center. This is just my opinion!"-Anthony Lamas

I have worked in many restaurants with illegals from hispanic countries like Mexico, Cuba, and Venezuela. I have also worked with illegals from the middle east like Iran and Iraq. They ALL worked hard. Not everyone who is from the middle east plans attacks on this country. That was about the most ludicrous statement I have ever read.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:18 pm

Wow! I guess you don't read much.
Last edited by Anthony Lamas on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Anthony Lamas » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:38 pm

My emotions play a big part on this subject. I will not comment anymore on this. I appoligize if I made a ludicrous statement. I'm not the best writer, and do not speak great. I learned English from Spanish speaking parents, so excuse my writing. I'll leave this subject alone now. I think Ron Johnson puts it best So, I'll end with, "what Ron said" and also Anthony Bourdain. Make food not War!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Sue H wrote:I have worked in many restaurants with illegals from hispanic countries like Mexico, Cuba, and Venezuela. I have also worked with illegals from the middle east like Iran and Iraq. They ALL worked hard. Not everyone who is from the middle east plans attacks on this country. That was about the most ludicrous statement I have ever read.

To which statement are you referring? Is it this one?:

It was'nt Mexicans flying the planes into the World trade center.

Of the 19 hijackers that were on the referenced planes 1 was Egyptian, 15 were Saudi Arabian, 2 were from the United Arab Emirates and 1 was Lebanese. Not a Mexican in the bunch. Why is the statement ludicrous?
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:15 pm

I am far from buying into having Feds kick in doors, unless the persons on the other side are well armed criminals. I think there is a good solution for both sides that has yet to surface.
That being said I cring every time I hear someone use the lame duck excuse that American workers are slackers and the illegals are doing jobs we would not do. Absolute crap in my opinion. What I see is a boss or owner looking at getting two workers for the price of one. Yes if we take it to extremes you will find a few jobs that NO ONE wants to do. But we are not talking about a couple jobs, we are talking about millions of them. What I see is a employee pool getting diluted, and a lot of business owners looking the other way so the American workers can either accept less pay or be replaced. I have witnessed it first hand when I was replaced at a construction site by two illegals that told my boss they would both work for what he was paying me. Just my opinion...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:40 am

Joel Halblieb wrote:I was replaced at a construction site by two illegals that told my boss they would both work for what he was paying me.

That would torque me off, too. And I'd be on the horn to INS in a New York minute. Did you report them? Would you care to name the company here, so we can invite a representative to comment?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:15 am

Joel Halblieb wrote:I am far from buying into having Feds kick in doors, unless the persons on the other side are well armed criminals. I think there is a good solution for both sides that has yet to surface.
That being said I cring every time I hear someone use the lame duck excuse that American workers are slackers and the illegals are doing jobs we would not do. Absolute crap in my opinion. What I see is a boss or owner looking at getting two workers for the price of one. Yes if we take it to extremes you will find a few jobs that NO ONE wants to do. But we are not talking about a couple jobs, we are talking about millions of them. What I see is a employee pool getting diluted, and a lot of business owners looking the other way so the American workers can either accept less pay or be replaced. I have witnessed it first hand when I was replaced at a construction site by two illegals that told my boss they would both work for what he was paying me. Just my opinion...

I think this is where to focus should be. Let's enforce the laws on these employers who knowingly hire and give fake credentials to illegal immigrants. Their illegal behavior is what creates the demand that draws the immigrants over the border in the first place. If no one hired illegals, they would not come over.
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

The truth about "huddled masses yearning to be free&quo

by Gary Michael » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:45 am

Every time the topic of immigration comes up, I always wonder what happened to the sentiment in this country that prompted a foreign power to present us with a wonderful gift endowed the the following inscription:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

That sentiment did not arrive with the Statue of Liberty. The quote is from a poem "The New Collussus", written by Emma Lazarus in 1883. Twenty years later, Lazarus' friend Georgina Schuyler succeeded in having that quote inscribed on a plaque that was installed on the wall of the statue's pedestal. And Bartholdi, the French sculptor who designed the statue intended to inspire the oppressed citizens of 19th Century Europe to strive for democracy in their own countries. There was no intention to encourage people to immigrate to America.

Quoting Lazarus' post-installation "The New Collussus" may make you feel all warm and fuzzy about being American, but it is not a valid argument for open immigration.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:19 am

Gary is correct. The United States has a long and well-documented history of open hostility and prejudice against immigrants. There were huge riots in New York City two centuries ago over the influx of immigrants. The Martin Scorcese movie Gangs of New York does a decent job of telling that story.
Few of us can trace our roots in this country back to the Mayflower, but we all sure like to act like we can.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Anthony Lamas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:33 am

For the record! I'm proud to be an American. My familia and I feel very honorned and lucky to be part of this great country. I don't have any illegals working for me ( that statement was more a matter of speaking) but, will I help them, of course. In fact, my whole staff are all great white and black AMERICANS. In Kentucky, it seems to be a Black and White state. I don't mean that in a negative way, we just don't have the racial mix as California, New York, Chicago, etc. Anyways, we all are very lucky to be part of this great country. I'm proud to be an American!
Muchas gracias y buen provecho!
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: The truth about "huddled masses yearning to be free

by C. Devlin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Gary Michael wrote:Quoting Lazarus' post-installation "The New Collussus" may make you feel all warm and fuzzy about being American, but it is not a valid argument for open immigration.

It may not be an argument, but I think it tends to speak to the sense of humanity and soul that many folks wish were more present in the world, and, increasingly, in this country.

Beyond that, Lazarus's verse doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, and in fact something of the reverse. It makes me sad. It makes me think not about warm and fuzzy stuff, but real pain and hardship and horror, the stuff people want to get away from. And also how hard it is both to flee truly horrifying and despotic regimes (people don't often think about that) and then to end up in a place that bills itself as the universe's dream world only to discover they might be free but they'll still be living in comparatively impoverished conditions and that they'll face continual suspicion and probably a great deal of discriminatory behavior from the natives because they're feriners.

So, yeah, anyway, not anything like warm and fuzzy.

And on the other hand, I suspect it's likelier that those Americans who profess the strongest sense of patriotism and who find symbols such as the Statue of Liberty and the American flag so fraught with meaning are often guilty of the worst forms of bigotry.

Maybe that's not a fair statement, but I'm feeling cranky today.
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:29 pm

Would you care to name the company here, so we can invite a representative to comment?

I wish I could have Robin. It was many years ago and I was a young man in Reno,NV. I had no idea who INS was.
Previous