Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

New Ethiopian restaurant? (New posts March 2016)

by Rich S » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:34 pm

It looks like Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant is getting ready to open at 554 S. Fifth St. (that's just north of Chestnut). They've had brown paper covering the windows for some time, but I noticed last night that the paper is gone now. I can't find any website for it, and I don't know if the restaurant is connected to the Abyssinia that was once on Frankfort Avenue.

It's a little odd that this place is in the same block as the second location of Queen of Sheba, which opened recently. I doubt there's that much demand downtown for Ethiopian food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New Ethiopian restaurant?

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Abyssinia is an ancient name for Ethiopia and likely not trademarkable, so it's not an unusual name for an Ethiopian restaurant. I sort of agree, though, that if we have two in one block downtown, it might be a good idea for those curious to visit them sooner rather than later. :mrgreen:
User

Tracy Bird

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Somewhere between J-town and Fern Creek.

by Tracy Bird » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

There apparently wasn't enough demand, because Queen of Sheba is closed now. There's a note in their door, basically saying they weren't prepared for the work of running two establishments.

I ate at Abyssinia today and got the lunch veggie combo, which I found quite delightful. The service was very good, and nice, too. The gentleman (the owner, possibly?) asked if it was my first time in there, and I said it was, and he wondered how I'd found them.

Here's their website: http://www.abyssiniaauthenticethiopian.com/
no avatar
User

Adam Arnold

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 am

by Adam Arnold » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Good to know! Don't forget that Addis Grill on the north end of 4th St also serves Ethiopian food.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:02 pm

We hit Abyssinia for lunch the other day. friendly welcome and lots of tasty food on the buffet incl lots of veg options.

good value and quick.

we'll be going back
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Joel F wrote:We hit Abyssinia for lunch the other day. friendly welcome and lots of tasty food on the buffet incl lots of veg options.

good value and quick.

we'll be going back

Thanks for bringing this back up, Joel. It's shameful how little I eat downtown now that I don't work downtown, even though I'm less than 10 minutes away. Must. Correct. This.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Actually, Abyssinia opened at that address in December 2012. I ate there in the summer of 2013 for lunch, I also don't get downtown much! Maybe they were closed for a time for remodeling or something.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Actually, Abyssinia opened at that address in December 2012. I ate there in the summer of 2013 for lunch, I also don't get downtown much! Maybe they were closed for a time for remodeling or something.

Yep. This thread actually began in December 2012, but Joel found it and resurrected it to report a recent visit.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:17 pm

Ha! Mobile is hard for my aging eyes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Ha! Mobile is hard for my aging eyes.

:)
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:15 pm

I like to piggyback on existing threads if we already have them. If folks prefer a new thread with title like Abyssinia visit, 2016 then I can try to remember to do that.

;-)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:31 pm

Joel F wrote:I like to piggyback on existing threads if we already have them. If folks prefer a new thread with title like Abyssinia visit, 2016 then I can try to remember to do that.

;-)

Either way. It's all good. Actually, I could probably tweak the original subject to highlight it, I guess, but really, just bouncing it up to the top gets the job done.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: New Ethiopian restaurant? (New posts March 2016)

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:17 pm

This place deserves a shout out. It is one of my afternoon "to go"places. Their buffet is very good and fresh. The people are friendly and appreciative and the place has a nice "maw and paw" feel to it. If you like Ethiopian food I highly recommend the lunch buffet (I've never had dinner there).
James J. Natsis