Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Worst fast-food chain?

Arby's
3%
Burger King
5%
Chick-Fil-A
No votes
Hardee's
13%
KFC
4%
Long John Silver's
13%
McDonald's
13%
Papa John's Pizza
5%
Pizza Hut
6%
Sonic
9%
Subway
5%
Taco Bell
10%
Wendy's
No votes
White Castle
10%
Other (write-in)
3%
None: I love all fast food!
No votes

Total votes : 77
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Worst fast-food chain?

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:18 am

This one should be good for some heated discussions: What do you consider the WORST fast-food chain? I know it's a tight race, but try to bite the bullet and select the one choice that represents all that's wrong with fast food for you: Bad food, slow service, sullen staff, grungy environment, overpriced junk food ... you name it!

Then, if you like, add a reply discussing your choice.

Let 'er rip!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:21 am

Boy that's gonna be a tough one. I might have to hold off and see if anyone comes up with a good write in that I can't think of off the top of my head....
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:23 am

I am not sure that I can vote meaningfully. I have not dined at several of the options in many, many years.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:34 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I am not sure that I can vote meaningfully. I have not dined at several of the options in many, many years.

Oh, just go with what you know. :twisted:
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:41 am

Well a few of them are owned by the same corporation, you could just lump all of the YUM brands under the same awful and save time. :P
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:47 am

I don't eat much fast food, especially since I stopped eating most meat; the very occasional 7-layer burrito from Taco Bell is usually about the extent of it. So it's hard for me to pick a least favorite when on the whole I don't really like any of them, but I'll share stories of two places I particularly dislike:

In high school I worked (very briefly) at the Shelbyville Hardees. It was dirty, had roaches, and the walk-in stank of rotten food. The worst thing though was that for the first few months of employment, they paid a "training wage" of $4.75 an hour (this was when minimum wage was $5.15). I know it's legal but I think it's an incredibly crappy thing to do. (Of course, I think this law is BS to begin with; there's no appreciable difference between a 19 and a 20 year old, but the 19 year old can be legally paid the training wage. And even at the age of 17, I was just as quick and responsible as some of my 20-something coworkers.) A while after I quit the place burned down in a most spectacular fashion. I greatly enjoyed watching it. They rebuilt it but I will still never eat there again.

My other story has to do with Sonic. I once sat in the drive-thru for nearly half an hour waiting for an order of cheddar peppers and two drinks. And we were the only car there! Of course nowadays I wouldn't wait nearly that long, but I was a teen and with my boyfriend and I guess we didn't have anywhere better to be. (I think we also really, really wanted some cheddar peppers.) But I never returned.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Interesting question - depends

by Doug W » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:55 am

My answer will change based on two things -
1- Specific Location. One Wendy's may be really good quality and service. Another may be terrible preparation, terrible service and dirty. My family tends to hit specific locations of a given chain and avoid specific locations. For instance, we used to drive by the closest McDonalds and went to a different one because of service differences.

2- What are you hungry for? I usually will hit fast food on a hankering for something and if I'm in a hurry. I guess I'm happy to say I don't hit any of them on a regular basis because I like them so much. I don't think any of them offer the best version of whatever they offer.

As a bonus, I'd throw in timing. They all are a lot more appealing at around 2 am...

Did everyone see how Louisville and Lexington are cities where the populace are more frequent fast food eaters than elsewhere in the country?

Cheers,

Doug.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:33 pm

I have not been to some of the listed places ever, and most not in years, but I did go to Arby's recently because someone gave us a coupon.

I'm starving virtually all of the time, and I couldn't eat my sandwich. The "meat" was a strange shade of pink and had a strange gummy consistency. It looked like it had been ground up to paste, steamed, sliced, and then microwaved.

I felt like I was in a Douglas Adam's book, but instead of asking for tea, I had asked for roast beef.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:38 pm

I voted for Long John Silvers......But I cant wait until you have the poll for the worst LOCALl fast food place......I am sure that I will be waiting a long time for that....But the BIG BOYS can take it as most on this site do not go to chain places very much at all. So it is kind of a meaningless vote outside this forum...But the results will be interesting anyway...so as they say in Chicago...vote early and vote often... :wink: :wink:
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:44 pm

I had to end up going with Hardee's. Nothing Hardee's has come up with in the last 10-15 years has been enticing to me on any level, and they always seem like the dirtiest places around too.
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:46 pm

If a specific location, then hands down the Dairy Queen on Middle Road in Jeff. They never get anything right, and are rude to customers to boot. I haven't been there in years, because of it.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Eliza W wrote:I have not been to some of the listed places ever, and most not in years, but I did go to Arby's recently because someone gave us a coupon.

I'm starving virtually all of the time, and I couldn't eat my sandwich. The "meat" was a strange shade of pink and had a strange gummy consistency. It looked like it had been ground up to paste, steamed, sliced, and then microwaved.

I felt like I was in a Douglas Adam's book, but instead of asking for tea, I had asked for roast beef.

Odd... I've eatten Arby's fairly regularly (and by regularly I mean once every three to four months) and have never seen anything like what you describe. The local Arby's have been relatively bad in the service department, but I've never had much problem with the meat.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Hey Robin...The last few posts bring up a point...You need to be site specific...Just like Bernos on Westport road is really bad...but then I am told the original location is better...Same with Wicks....If that is the case you will get a much better vote because all places are not the same...no matter how much you want to think they are.... :wink: :wink:
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 pm

I also voted for Long John's because I was so excited to go to one after I moved back here, and when the hallowed day came, I was exposed to one of the greasiest fish fillets I have ever consumed, flaccid fries, and powder-dry hushpuppies. It may just have been that particular location, but the memory of that meal has kept me away from LJS ever since. Shockingly enough, that location closed and became a liquor store a few years later.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:02 pm

Give captain D,s a try i think you will find them to be miles ahead of Long John Silvers...at one time many years ago they were good...but over the past 10 years or so they have become really bad.... :D
Next