Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Amazing dining experiences?

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Amazing dining experiences?

by Kris Billiter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Our ten year anniversary is coming up and I'm looking for a great place to celebrate. We've done 610 and loved it. Any other great experiences? Does Corbett's do a chef's table? Any other places that would be fitting for such a night? Thanks for any ideas!
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Amazing dining experiences?

by Carol C » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Bob's daughter and her husband recently celebrated her birthday at Corbett's doing the tasting menu--they included the wines (but that is optional). They moved to Louisville 2 years ago after a number of years in the DC/Baltimore area and said it was one of the most incredible dining experiences they have ever had! Both were totally impressed by the food, ambiance, service, wines, etc. and still rave about the evening. Congratulations on your anniversary and hope you have a wonderful celebration!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Carol. Great info. I should add that we might be willing to travel a bit if its worthwhile. Would Holly Hill in midway fit?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 am

Nothing against Holly Hill, but I'd go for Corbett's . . . the Chef's Table room has wide-screen tv 2-way video conferencing with the kitchen, and you can talk to the chefs and/or watch your dinner being prepared, plus - while Holly Hill is good - Corbett's is in a separate league.

This being said, if for whatever reason you didn't want Corbett's, the Oak Room and English Grill both had chef's tables, in this case in the kitchen, and the Marriott also has a table behind glass overlooking their kitchen.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

One other possible option: back with the late lamented Red Pepper we would celebrate special locations with a Chinese feast . . . meet with them, and get a multi-course (like a dozen or so dishes) dinner served banquet style. I don't know what Jasmine or the other "real" Chinese restaurant restaurants offer, but that was a truly fun and much less expensive dining experience! (I should say that with the banquet, most dishes did not appear on the menu, requiring much more prep than normal or requiring special ingreadients not normally kept on inventory)
Andrew Mellman
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:27 pm

You cannot do better in this town for a special dining experience than Corbett's, hands down. My wife and I celebrated an anniversary there a few years back and it still resonates as one of the most exceptional dining experiences we have ever had.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

If you're driving from Louisville then that factors in to the Holly Hill equation, esp if you want to enjoy some wine & spirits.

I'd recommend getting on the Holly Hill mailing list to see how (nicely) the menu changes and heading out sometime. Definitely an enjoyable experience at a very reasonable price point.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Holly Hill Inn is marvelous.

Wiltshire on Market is great as well.