Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Primo....eccellente!

User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Primo....eccellente!

by Amy Hoover » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:44 pm

It's been over a year since I left Primo, and for the first time last night, I went in for dinner. What a difference a year makes! Chef Hargrove is really making a niche for himself with the weekly menu options, serving rustic and authentic food.

I ordered the special of the evening, the costole di manzo, which was beef short ribs over cheesy polenta and root vegetables with a reduced pan jus. The short ribs were so tender and moist; they came apart easily with a fork. Beneath them were root vegetables diced and cooked just enough to maintain a crisp texture but cooked flavor. The combination of those things was only heightened by the cheesy polenta and pan jus. The sauce was earthy and smooth and very well rounded. I'm not sure what the cheese in the polenta was, but it was very mild and complemented the short ribs incredibly well. I created each forkful with a little polenta, a few vegetables and a small piece of the rib and then swept it through the sauce. The different components of the dish worked so well together. They were lovely on their own, but all together, they raised my palate to a new high.

My SO got a pork tenderloin that was crusted with dried ground apple, and brown sugar. It was served with an apple and fennel salad. The pork was cooked perfectly, very tender and able to be cut with a butter knife. The sauce was slightly sweet, but complemented well with the fennel in the salad. It was delicious also. My SO preferred his to mine. I, of course, preferred mine to his.

To end the meal we had a rosemary olive oil cake with lemon curd. It was more like a bread than a cake. The rosemary flavor was prevalent, but not overpowering (like rosemary sometimes can be). I would love to have a huge loaf of that stuff to have with butter for breakfast every morning.

Our server was Carly, the sister of forumite Jeremy Johnson. She was pleasant and attentive; our needs were all met and expectations exceeded. Allison also took excellent care of us also.

I again want to say how proud I am of and impressed by Chef Hargrove. I can't even imagine the prep time it takes for a weekly menu. He pulls it off with flair. That man is destined for culinary greatness. I can't wait to see what he's working on next!

Disclaimer: Yes, I was once the GM of Primo. However, my reaction to my experience there is totally unbiased. I really was knocked off my feet by the food.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 pm

I had a quick dinner at Primo last Thursday night. It was good. I had a caesar salad followed by a spaghetti carbonara. This version of carbonara included peas.

One thing I did note was that you had to request a second menu to get a list of pizzas.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Primo....eccellente!

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:52 pm

Amy Hoover wrote:It's been over a year since I left Primo, and for the first time last night, I went in for dinner. What a difference a year makes! Chef Hargrove is really making a niche for himself with the weekly menu options, serving rustic and authentic food.

I agree ... we were in with a party of seven recently, not a review visit, just to celebrate a visit home by a good pal, and everything about the evening was just remarkably good, without a single misstep. Calamari and a shared pizza as app went down the hatch just like that, and the pork cheek (a special main dish) was so incredible that I refused to share. ;)

Got to love that eight-for-$20 wine option, too. The Umbria red was so good we went back for more.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:00 pm

Yeah, I didn't mention it, but we had a lovely Vermentino from the $20 list.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:07 am

Primo is, without a doubt, my husband and I's first choice for dinner often. It's rarely failed us.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:19 pm

Primo is money.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Aaron M. Renn wrote:Primo is money.

Money well and fairly spent. I would rate it absolutely in Louisville's top 10 restaurants.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:59 am

The awesome thing is, visitors to Louisville can eat at great local places like this right downtown. While of course it is always nice if people in towns for conventions and the like explore the city, often they don't want to, so it is nice that some of the best of Louisville is right along Main St. for them.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 am

Aaron M. Renn wrote:The awesome thing is, visitors to Louisville can eat at great local places like this right downtown. While of course it is always nice if people in towns for conventions and the like explore the city, often they don't want to, so it is nice that some of the best of Louisville is right along Main St. for them.

Sadly, though, I wonder how many downtown hotel guests bother to head east along Main and Market. I'll bet a lot of them never get past Fourth Street Live.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:03 am

more than you'd think thanks to some dutiful concierges...