Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Momma's Mustard, Pickles and BBQ

by Linda C » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Driving through the 'hood I noticed their sign on Bauer. I have just started eating a little meat for the first time in decades, so I'm no BBQ expert, but it was very good! I had some ribs and some pulled pork. Their sauces are good, especially the sweet and tangy mustard. Baked beans and green beans were delicious, mac and cheese just so-so. They are connected to ZaZoos, you can eat in either place. Interesting story about the business. They also have a food truck which will be running soon.

http://www.mommasbbq.com/
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Momma's Mustard, Pickles and BBQ

by JustinHammond » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Pretty good find. We had been craving BBQ for a few weeks so we decided to check it out tonight. The place has been open for 3 months and there are still signs of the transition from bar to restaurant. I think it will be a very nice and comfy space once the remodel is complete.

The BBQ was solid and service was acceptable.

Beef Ribs - 9/10
Brisket Slider - 8/10
Pork Slider - 8/10
Wings - 7.5/10
Mac and Cheese - 6/10
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am

Linda C wrote:I have just started eating a little meat for the first time in decades, so I'm no BBQ expert, but it was very good! I had some ribs and some pulled pork.

:shock:

Nothing like jumping right into the deep end!
:lol:
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:20 am

$14 for 2 flintstone sized BBQ beef ribs... juicy, tender... they were good.

The brisket was dry and MEH.

Sides:
Mac and Cheese: my wife described it as the best Mac and Cheese she has ever gotten in a restaurant.
Coleslaw: Didn't ask, didn't try, she did not finish it or seem to touch it... either she was full or it was mediocre.
Fries: Good. Thick cut, well seasoned... I enjoyed them.
Pickles: Pretty good. A little mustardy, a little spicy... I'd eat them again.
Mustard: It's good. Sweet and spicy (but not too much of either).

I'd go back!
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Gotta say, I went in tonight with a friend. Sadly, the place was empty at 7:00 pm, but the food was terrific.

My friend got a BBQ sausage sandwich which was a heaping portion of perfectly seasoned sliced homemade sausage, served with mustard and pickles. She also got the cole slaw which was not sweet, and was fresh and crunchy. Both of us got delicious hand-cut french fries. I got the brisket sandwich, not at all dry and I'm kind of particular about my brisket. I also got some green beans, which were very tasty. Picked up a full slab of beef ribs for dinner tomorrow night.

Great bread pudding for dessert. :)

The food was obviously made with care, and the price is reasonable. I'd like to see them stay in business, so I'd encourage all of you hotbyters to give it a try.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:11 pm

I got a to go order this weekend with some friends.

We put in for the family meal. They were out of the brisket, and the sausage. These were the two things I wanted most so I had to settle for pulled pork and chicken. Got a rack of ribs as well. I was shocked that they were out of items on a Saturday when there was no one in the restaurant. Who is ordering this food?

The food was remarkably underwhelming. Pulled pork was dry. Chicken dry. Ribs had a decent bark, but did not fall off the bone. Mac and Cheese was not as good as what you would get at a Wal Mart deli.

We got our jar of pickles and jar of mustard. Mustard was a sweet mustard that you might put on a cocktail wiener as an hors d'ourve. Not anything I would put on BBQ. The pickles were gross. Overly sweet and soggy and limp. To be honest I don't know what I was supposed to do with a large jar of mustard or sweet pickles on BBQ...

The sauce was lame. The hot was mild, and the mild was sugar.

Needs a lot of work.

PS they stiffed me a cookie cause they ran out. Meal for 4 had 3 cookies. And they sucked.
no avatar
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 am

My husband and I went this past weekend as well. Unlike in the previous post, we enjoyed our meal. I ordered the beef ribs and my husband ordered the pork. I thought the beef ribs were excellent. Had a nice spice rub on the exterior and the meat definitely had some bite to it. I avoid ribs that are falling off the bone. My husband enjoyed his pork ribs as well. We didn't try the mustard but we did like the pickles very much. As for the sides, we had the mac and cheese, baked beans and the dill potato salad. They weren't our favorites as the mac was a bit bland, the beans tasted like they were straight out of a can and the potato salad was overwhelmed with horseradish (??) but that wouldn't prevent us from returning. We thought the actual bbq was great.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 am

Their beef ribs are the single best barbecue dish I've ever had in a Louisville restaurant, and the pork ribs are probably second best. The brisket and pulled pork were nothing to write home about, but are not bad. The smoked wings were also outstanding.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Ribs had a decent bark, but did not fall off the bone.

Ahhhhmmmmm....perfectly cooked ribs aren't -supposed- to fall of the bone. That is a myth created by places like Applebees, Golden Coral, Tony Romas and Damien's Grill...none of whom would know real BBQ if it bit them in the ass and all of whom have utilized the phrase in their marketing. Look at it this way, FOTB is just a restaurants way of saying...We-really-don't-know-what-the-hell-we're-doing-so-we'll-just keep-cooking-this-stuff-until-it-falls-apart-then-we'll-cook-it-some-more-and-then-we'll-slap-some-sauce-on-it-and-call-it-BBQ.

Ehhhh, sorry. nothing personal, just had to get that off my chest :wink:

Anyway. Speaking of BBQ and speaking of St. Matts...There is -another- new joint in town. It's called Bluegrass BBQ (owned by a friend of mine's father). It's located right next to Lonnie's Best Taste of Chicago. I have personally -not- had an opportunity to visit...They've been open since (I think) mid-October and have -quietly- been going about the business of tweaking their recipes, I guess you could call that an extended "soft opening". I -do- know they are cooking outside on real pits and I know they've experimented with various menu items but otherwise I can't say with any certainty what their daily menu is...or the quality thereof.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Steve, it was just about time for an FOTB reminder. I find them comforting, as well as truthful.

As I've mentioned to you before, my expectations are pretty low for almost all restaurant ribs. I still tend to enjoy the bad ones somewhat, but the occasional good ones I get remind me of just what could be.

I just don't see how anybody can really conquer the whole timing/demand thing. I'm all for "when we're out, we're out," but even then...

That said, I'm no smokemaster, and am really spouting off on a subject I don't fully comprehend.

I've tried Momma's twice, and thoroughly enjoyed the beef ribs. I will get them again. I found the pork ribs to be underwhelming but edible, in-line with most I've had around town. It looked like they were actually appropriately cooked and pulled, but lost a lot of moisture upon re-heating and were overly-salted

While I'm not a huge chicken guy, their pulled chicken sliders seemed very well-prepared and tasty to me.

I like the sauces also, particularly the spicier version.

We enjoyed the macaroni and cheese a great deal, but not the green beans.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

Steve P wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:Ribs had a decent bark, but did not fall off the bone.

Ahhhhmmmmm....perfectly cooked ribs aren't -supposed- to fall of the bone. That is a myth created by places like Applebees, Golden Coral, Tony Romas and Damien's Grill...none of whom would know real BBQ if it bit them in the ass and all of whom have utilized the phrase in their marketing. Look at it this way, FOTB is just a restaurants way of saying...We-really-don't-know-what-the-hell-we're-doing-so-we'll-just keep-cooking-this-stuff-until-it-falls-apart-then-we'll-cook-it-some-more-and-then-we'll-slap-some-sauce-on-it-and-call-it-BBQ.

Ehhhh, sorry. nothing personal, just had to get that off my chest :wink:

Nor should they be tough or still have the membrane on them, am I right? You want your ribs to be cooked sufficiently low and slow to have them be tender and juice. This was not that. Tough, and dry.

So many folks seem impressed wtih the place and I clearly wasn't. I guess I need to just stick with the BBQ Cowboy. That is how you should do ribs IMO.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:48 pm

2nd location is now open.

119 S Hurstbourne Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40222
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm

God how I love Momma's beef ribs. I agree with Clay that they're the best BBQ dish in the L'ville area. They also have burnt ends, which are exotic to me, at least.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 am

Why wouldn't we want ribs with the meat falling off the bone? Why would I want something tough and chewy? And why would someone say we don't know what were talking about and they should be that way? That's fine. Serve tough and chewy ribs. We'll remember and not return. Really?
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 am

Ellen P wrote:Why wouldn't we want ribs with the meat falling off the bone? Why would I want something tough and chewy? And why would someone say we don't know what were talking about and they should be that way? That's fine. Serve tough and chewy ribs. We'll remember and not return. Really?

First of all, tried the st matthews location this weekend and we loved it. Got the brisket, sausage and wings. Brisket was juicy and great on a slider bun with their sauce. I loved the wings except thought they were a little salty for my taste. Maybe not to eat a few but i don't think i could eat like 12 of them because of the dry rub being so salty. Beans were great, Mac was good but not great in my opinion, I think they should use a more flavorful cheese in it or something. Will definitely be back.

Ellen, in regards to your question...and I am in no way a barbeque expert, but I think the whole FOTB thing is that if the meat is literally falling off the bone and disintegrating, it is overcooked. The meat should still be very tender and juicy, just still have a little bit of bite to it. Does that mean its bad if its FOTB? Honestly, I like it either way personally as long as its not tough. But the "proper" way is not to overcook it.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
Next