Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Guaca-Mole

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Guaca-Mole

by Mark R. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Since it hasn't been brought up in a while I thought I would mention a recent lunch we had at Guaca-Mole. To put it in few words all I can say is "They're still running on all cylinders".

We were out doing errands the other day and decided to have a late lunch, about 2:30. We were in the area so we thought we would drop it at Guaca-Mole, we had been there for dinner but not for lunch. Needless to say the lunch was excellent, very filling and very reasonably priced. We started off with the chips and salsa, we never did decide which of the salsas we liked the best but did end up with a container of the mildest one to take home to play with. My wife ordered the fish tacos which were served with a side of rice and black beans. I ordered the Carne Asada sandwich with fries.

When the meals arrived they both looked spectacular! The tacos were two nicely fried pieces of fish (they could be grilled if desired) with a topping of pickled cabbage and a very nice aioli. This side dish of rice and black beans was placed in a bowl and as I looked like a black and white cookie. My sandwich was huge in the fries were topped with mole sauce and cheese crumbles.

My wife really loved the tacos that allowed me to sample them. They're normally not something I'm really fond of but after tasting these I may be changing my mind! Her rice and beans were also excellent. My sandwich was very nicely seasoned, not too spicy but just enough heat to let you know it was there. The fries are remarkable to say the least. I had ordered them as a side basically figuring I wouldn't eat many of them anyway because I had been told the sandwich would be big. My wife and I ended up finishing them off and wished we had more.

Even though we were full we decided we had to have dessert. We ordered the Flan was a side of homemade banana ice cream. The Flan was some of the creamiest we've ever had and the ice cream was amazing.

The total cost of the lunch including tip was less than $40.00 which certainly isn't bad for everything we had. I also forgot to mention that the service was excellent and that Fernando stopped and had a nice conversation with us. Overall an excellent experience.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Guaca-Mole

by RonnieD » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:20 pm

We're having a business dinner there tomorrow night. I am excited to try since there have been so many glowing reviews!

Sidebar: The dinner will conflict with the Bengals/Ravens game, is there a bar with a TV?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:11 pm

RonnieD wrote:Sidebar: The dinner will conflict with the Bengals/Ravens game, is there a bar with a TV?

Not that I saw but we weren't looking for one either. They have a bar but I didn't see any televisions.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:55 am

We've only been twice (once just after they officially opened) and once about 6 weeks ago, but both times the food was truly incredible. I could easily make myself well and truly sick eatting the yuateco guacamole non-stop and the smoked fish tacquitos are a perfect bite.

My only complaint comes with some of the seating in the bar area. On both visits our parties of four were seated at bar-area tables. The first time I was a little befuddled that the non-backed stools were placed at the tables while the bar itself was lined with similar stools that DO have backs. I was unsure how comfortable this would be, but I went with it,hungry as I was and ready to start eatting.

It... Wasn't great. After about 20 minutes the comfort level wore thin, but I stuck with it. The food was so good I could mostly put it out of my mind.

Fast forward to July and my wife is now 8 months pregnant and struggling. We meet a few friends at Guaca Mole ready to share the fantastic fare with them for the first time. The two guys went to see a movie before hand and we met up with our wives at the restaurant afterward. I had forgotten the issue with the chairs last time so when checking in I didn't make any special requests.

When they seated us in the bar area I saw the stools and it all came rushing back. I asked the hostess if we could instead use the similar stools from around the bar since they have full seat backs - I said especially for my wife, as she is 8 months pregnant and really needs the seat back. The hostess said she would see if she could get "a couple" though there were four of us, and plenty of seats at the bar not yet in use that could have been switched out. We were eventually only given a single full backed chair for my wife, the rest of us had to make do. :(

Is there some restaurant code that says bar stools have to have a full seat backing? I don't really understand why they have tables where they seat diners that have stools with no seat backs but I really don't understand why they couldn't meet our request to use the seats from the bar instead. *shrug* oh well. Next time I'll definitely remember to ask for a regular table up-front. Those stools just aren't comfortable for me to endure through a full sit-down meal.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 am

Mark R. wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Sidebar: The dinner will conflict with the Bengals/Ravens game, is there a bar with a TV?

Not that I saw but we weren't looking for one either. They have a bar but I didn't see any televisions.

Ronnie-
Yes- there is at least one TV ( smaller ) in the bar. I believe there are two- one on either end.

Enjoy your meal- the food is great!

Deb
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you so much for the review Mark, I'm happy that you enjoyed it your lunch.

Ronnie we have 2 TV at the bar. Enjoy your dinner.

Aaron, I'm really sorry about your experience. We have no problem exchanging the different bar stools, if we have some with backs at the bar and somebody ask to have one of those we always exchange them, we dropped the ball with your table and a constable booth should have been offered. The difference in bar stools was an issue of economics, a $200 difference in price. I'm sending you a PM; I want to make it up to you and your wife. Maybe you can come and see us after having the baby and celebrate at Guaca-Mole.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Fernando Martinez wrote: Aaron, I'm really sorry about your experience. We have no problem exchanging the different bar stools, if we have some with backs at the bar and somebody ask to have one of those we always exchange them, we dropped the ball with your table and a constable booth should have been offered. The difference in bar stools was an issue of economics, a $200 difference in price. I'm sending you a PM; I want to make it up to you and your wife. Maybe you can come and see us after having the baby and celebrate at Guaca-Mole.

Way to step up!
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:23 am

We have been for lunch several times, and agree that they are doing it right. The duck confit flautas with the tomato jam are really something special.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Due to my near, although rather exaggerated, death at the hands of a vicious seasonal illness, we were unable to attend dinner last night, but now I am craving the place, so I will get there (unless the baby comes first) at some point this week!

Thanks
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Fernando is a class act, that's for sure! No need for anything to be made up to us though, we will certainly be back. Ever since writing that post I've been having a serious yucateco craving.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 am

Guac-A-Mole is in our rotation.....we absolutely love the food, hospitality, energy....etc...
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Went there for the first time this last Friday.. oh dang the smoked fish taquitos and the sangria frozen margarita. YUM
no avatar
User

Adam Arnold

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 am

by Adam Arnold » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Guaca Mole is literally the best Mexican restaurant I have had the pleasure of enjoying... and this from someone who used to live in Tucson, AZ!

Everything is just spot on... and the flavours and dishes are very modern. So far my favourite dish is the Mole Pepian Verde. The scallops are seared beautifully, and all of the flavours just explode in your mouth! I also highly recommend the Smoked Fish Taquitos as a delicious, well presented appetizer. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the dishes on the menu!
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Adam Arnold wrote:Guaca Mole is literally the best Mexican restaurant I have had the pleasure of enjoying... and this from someone who used to live in Tucson, AZ!

Adam, I'd also like to add my welcome. As a new voice on the forum you certainly have something of substance to say and I like your style. I also would love to hear more about Tucson. I spent a week there once and wish I'd had longer. I'd like to know what brought you here. Cheers!
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 am

Welcome from a native Tucsonan! I've been here 10 yrs ( but I still miss the cooking there!)
Next