Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Cristina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 pm

2231 Holiday Manor Center

Is the customer allways right?????

by Cristina M » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:49 pm

This is my first post so I'm kind of new. But I have a question for all of you whom I respect your opinions, and you all know good service and food. So is the customer allways right? I think so, until they are disruptive and insult my staff, all I'm saying is restaurants make mistakes, kitchens get in the weeds but there is no reason to insult anyone. And we will try our hardest to make people happy and appreciate good contructive critism because we know we are not perfect, how ever when some one shouts at a server and I had 3 tables around them tell me how rude they were to "my poor server" I draw the line. Am I wrong for inviting the whole check with the condition that they not come back?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:15 pm

When it is your business, you run it as you see fit. There are different ways to handle every situation. You do what you think is right.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Cristina, depending on the situation, of course, I think you are perfectly within normal bounds if you requested they leave. I think a line must be drawn. I know everyone in this forum treats servers and restaurant employees with respect. However, I can assure you, there are a vast amount of people out there who think because they are being served by someone, that person is in a lower class than the patron.

I think it is important for management to stand up for their employees. If a customer has a complaint or issue, they should ask to speak with a manager about the problem. It is unacceptable for a customer to berate a server.

A customers needs and desires should be met, within reason. However, if they choose to be rude or hurtful, your obligation to serve them should end there. It irritates me greatly when patrons treat their servers like second class citizens, and when it is my decision, I won't stand for it.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:22 pm

What Amy said.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:08 pm

It is never, ever appropriate to "shout" at anyone in a service capacity no matter what excuse a patron may use. We have lost the simple ability to treat others as we would like to be treated which is the most basic of human rights.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:58 pm

No, the customer is frequently wrong..... the hard part is finding a tactful way to tell them that they are wrong.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Everybody should be required to have at least one job dealing with the public - server or retail clerk or cashier or something. It will make you more tolerant and patient for the rest of your life.

Also, you never know who might be watching:

"CEOs say how you treat a waiter can predict a lot about character"
http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies ... rule_x.htm
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:01 am

That reminds me - When I served in NYC I waited on a certain Fashion Editor with very straight hair at least once a week for 8 years. Her asst would call in the order (always the same thing) so that she did not have to speak to the service staff. She often wore Prada.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 am

To quote a famous movie "The customer is always an a##hole." :P
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".