Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Big R's in La Grange

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

Big R's in La Grange

by robert szappanos » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:28 pm

I was able to get out this evening and ended up in La Grange and had a taste for ribs. I was going to go to my usual place...Jucys...But I decided to try Big R's. I think that Robin has been there already. I ordered the full slab of baby back ribs...no sides..I must say that they are NOW the best ribs I have had. They have a dry rub on them and a slight glaze of sauce. They are not fall off the bone ribs but have a slight chew to them....I mean that in a good way...I thought that these ribs were the best I have had since living in Louisville. In the past I thought that Jucys were great...although his is more of a spare rib and are more fatty and I also like Famous Daves. But these ribs were better...even though I did not have any sides to keep the carbs down I was told by some people eating there that the beans are great along with the potato salad. The people working there are very friendly and the place is very cozy inside. The total for a full slab and a soft drink was $20.20. About the same price as you would pay elsewhere. If you have not tried them...try them...my next visit will be to try the beef brisket and see how that compares to Jucys. Looks like Oldham county has another great BBQ place. :D
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

Big R's

by Ned Weatherby » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:39 pm

Wow I went a couple months back and the ribs were okay but I rate them far behind Jucy's in fact I have not been back since. The pork sandwich I had was okay but I find there sauce way too vinegary. I even live close to lagrange and still think for Oldham eats I rank the restaurants. Norma Jeans, Westport General and Jucy's. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night. The potato salad was the best thing either my wife or I had.
Good Eats
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Must have been a bad night. Dont get me wrong...Jucys is great but like I said it is a spare rib and has more fat...but more tender also..the baby backs were much leaner and a slight chew to them. I did not add any additional sauce on mine just the glaze that comes with it. I actually like ribs with no sauce and only a dry rub...
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

Yeah

by Ned Weatherby » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:34 pm

If I remember they were alright but I have been spoiled by my brothers ribs, I tend to stay away from things with bones in them but I gnawed on his last batch
Good Eats
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Spot on about the ribs, Robert. We were there for lunch today around 1:30 PM. I'm gnawing the last few ribs from the slab we brought home as I type, dang glaze gets all over the keyboard. :lol:

They are in our regular rotation for good eats in Oldham (which needs to be a marketing slogan) Steve-O's, Big R's and Rover II are our current longterm favorites. Jucy's is very good but I tend to rate the BBQ as Ken-Tex, Big R's and Jucy's in that order. Ken-Tex is a pretty good haul so mainly hit Big R's.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:02 am

Where is Big R's?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:17 am

Carla, if coming from Louisville take 71 NB to the LaGrange exit. At the end of the ramp turn left onto 1st Street/Hwy 53. Go north until you hit the 4 way stop at the railroad track. Turn right and go down to the next cross street and turn left there. Go to the stop sign which will put you directly in front of Big R's. They close up at 8:00 P.M. and they will be closed all Thanksgiving week. Whatever you get ask if they have any Hot Fudge Cake. If they do, nab a slice right away as it doesn't last long.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks Ed, I will do just that!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Hey Robin I have tried to click on Big R's on your restaurant list and the review will not open...my problem or your problem?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:25 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Hey Robin I have tried to click on Big R's on your restaurant list and the review will not open...my problem or your problem?

Works for me, so for some reason, perhaps your Web browser won't work with the convention of linking to an "anchor tag" in the middle of a page.

<b>Try clicking this link</b>, and when you get to the page and see Andrea's review of the Brown Hotel's <i>prix fixe</i>, page on down about two-thirds of the way to the end, and you'll see my Big R report.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Thanks the link worked...sounds like you liked the place also...
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:09 pm

My daughter came home to watch my wife and told me to go out to eat....So I headed back for some more ribs...Same meal as I had aon Saturday....and after furture review...the play stands as called....GREAT RIBS...some of the best around here....I fyou are out that way give them a try...Just a note during the week they close at 7PM and 8 or so on Friday and the weekends...they are opened for lunch... :D :D