Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Best Chinese Food in Louisville?

by Richard S. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Stephen D wrote:By the way, I completely agree with Robin's assesment of Jade Palace's 'Chinese Menu.' It lacks those flavors. It's good, but Westernized.

I'd be a happy boy if I saw the cleaner, crisper approach like we had with Red Pepper...

It was just a 'this is our food, as we make it' thing. And it was brilliant.

My wife and I ate at Red Pepper once a week for at least a year. We sure miss it. We're taking a trip this weekend to Champaign, Ill., to visit friends. The large numbers of Asian students has prompted the opening of several Chinese restaurants in the Campustown area in recent years. Our favorite is Lai Lai Wok. The menu has a section devoted to dishes made with pork intestines, if that tells you anything
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 am

Do I detect a Dim Sum off line????
Oh yeah!!!!
I miss Red Pepper too- it was so close to home and so good.
I was reminded of it the other day in NY- I had the best Dan Dan noodles since Red Pepper closed. (Also Sichuan Duck Tongue- my feeling is just coming back)
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:50 am

GaryF wrote:Do I detect a Dim Sum off line????
Oh yeah!!!!
I miss Red Pepper too- it was so close to home and so good.
I was reminded of it the other day in NY- I had the best Dan Dan noodles since Red Pepper closed. (Also Sichuan Duck Tongue- my feeling is just coming back)

Steven agreed to have lunch with me on Saturday if you wanna join? I'm sure it's okay to speak for Steven as well that anyone is welcome to join, and I'd love to see you!
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:21 am

Does anyone know if Jade Palace has dim sum for lunch or is it only on the weekends? If it is only on the weekends, is there a place that does dim sum for lunch? Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am

Elizabeth S wrote:Does anyone know if Jade Palace has dim sum for lunch or is it only on the weekends? If it is only on the weekends, is there a place that does dim sum for lunch? Thanks!

The Jade Palace menu says they do dim sum daily, although they may not roll the carts every day.
http://www.jadepalacelouisville.com/page3.html

Oriental House offers some dim sum off the menu, not from carts, and I believe that's available any time the restaurant is open. I have to say, though, that as much as I love Oriental House, Jade Palace blows them away in the dim sum department.
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Wow, you guys! This is definitely a wealth of information. Maybe we will just have to try all the places suggested! :)

I actually live in walking distance Great Wall on LoBrow, which, frankly, satisfies Chinese for my purposes, but he prefers a sit-down style with perhaps slightly more authentic chinese fare.

I do recall going to Oriental House with my mother and brother *years* ago and found it satisfying, so I may have to try it with the boyfriend in tow. Where was this Red Pepper you all speak of? I remember eating with my parents at a Chinese place that my Dad loved. It was off of Dutchman's and I think was torn down to make way for the now defunct Calistoga, etc. Anyone remember that place?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Peg O'Neill wrote:Where was this Red Pepper you all speak of?

It was in the Moorish looking building on LoBrow just a block or two west of Zorn, the place where Shariat's used to be. :lol: It has housed a number of short-lived eateries since Shariat left, of which Red Pepper was by far the most memorable and most mourned. (I've heard rumors that landlord issues have stymied long-term tenancy, but can't provide formal testimony.)

I remember eating with my parents at a Chinese place that my Dad loved. It was off of Dutchman's and I think was torn down to make way for the now defunct Calistoga, etc. Anyone remember that place?

Chinatown Chinese? It was one of the first locals in the buffet genre and did very well early on, although it slipped a lot toward the end.
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Peg O'Neill wrote:Where was this Red Pepper you all speak of?

It was in the Moorish looking building on LoBrow just a block or two west of Zorn, the place where Shariat's used to be. :lol: It has housed a number of short-lived eateries since Shariat left, of which Red Pepper was by far the most memorable and most mourned. (I've heard rumors that landlord issues have stymied long-term tenancy, but can't provide formal testimony.)

Aaah! I vaguely remember that, though I never ate there. I think I did go there when it was a Mexican place, though. TBH, I rarely go to any restaurant housed there because it won't be around for long anyway. Unfair, I know.

Thanks for the lesson on Chinatown Chinese. What a loss.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 am

Robin Garr wrote:Chinatown Chinese? It was one of the first locals in the buffet genre and did very well early on, although it slipped a lot toward the end.

It slipped hard. As I remember, the health department shut it down for over a month.

Nothing has done really well at that location.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:24 am

James Natsis wrote:I can't speak for anything else on the menu, but I had a darn good Tofu and Eggplant at Asian Moon (Hikes Lane) last week. It was a well combined dish--texture and sauce The miso soup was better than most places as well.

Robin Garr wrote:PS: I like August Moon a lot, but don't generally include it in these discussions without an asterisk, since it's really more of an Asian-fusion bistro with some Malaysian accents than authentic Chinese-for-Chinese.

It looks like James is not talking about August Moon but rather Asian Moon. We used to get carry out from there quite a lot, and have had a number of really good things off the menu there, but it's been spotty and we slowed down once our meals kinda came up less than wonderful more often than not.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:48 am

Ken B wrote:It looks like James is not talking about August Moon but rather Asian Moon.

He was indeed, Ken, and thanks for the clarification. To 'splain myself better, what we have here is the forum system's less-than-elegant handling of message "threads." I was actually responding to Peg's initial post, which invoked August Moon, but I didn't use the "Quote" function, and my response happened to fall directly under a mention of Asian Moon. Oops! :oops:
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am

Anyone been to China Inn @ UofL?

It's damn good. No "authentic" Chinese menu that I know of, but the Owner "Penny" has Daily Thai specials, and a Thai portion on the menu.....I believe she's from there. Great Curry on Thursdays, and the Pad Thai is one of my favorites in town, and a HUGE portion.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Anyone been to China Inn @ UofL?

Ages ago. Sounds like it's time for a trip back! Thanks, Adrian.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Definitely worth checking out. I realize this is a Chinese thread, but her other specials are usually outstanding.

http://www.chinainnlouisville.com/

^ Check out the menu, scroll to the bottom for her specials/days.
no avatar
User

Geoff Wilkinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 pm

by Geoff Wilkinson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Peg,
Ask for the Chinese menu at Jasmine on the East End.
Deb

Think I told this story a couple yrs ago....

I represented a Chinese family owned company in their search for a manufacturing building. My carload consisted of the owners and a translator. They were in town for two days, the first day with GLI & the Mayor's office, the next day with me. The first day they were taken to Jefferson Club w the city leaders that were doing the "courting". I was told no one knew how things were going bc of the lack of emotion shown or discussion. It was all business all the time.

I took them to Jasmine for lunch the next day. The father was given one of the secret menus. He walked into the kitchen (without asking permission, BTW!), barked some orders, and returned to the table.

After about ten minutes of silence - we only spoke when he asked a direct question - some strange looking stuff started showing up. I honestly can't recall anything other than a green bean dish, but it was some of the best food I've ever tasted. The old man smiled and said it was the most authentic food he'd ever had anywhere in the USA. What followed was a social conversation... talk about family, homes, sports... just normal small talk that hadn't existed before.

I truely believe that entire deal was solidified by the lunch at Jasmine. It completely changed the rest of the day.
Search all commercial real estate opportunities in Louisville at http://www.LouisvilleCommercialRealty.com
PreviousNext