Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Best Chinese Food in Louisville?

by Peg O'Neill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 pm

My boyfriend moved to Louisville from Lexington last summer, and has really been blown away by the food scene and variety of ethnic offerings our town has to offer. We have yet to try any Chinese, however, and even in my 10+ years living here, I have nothing to recommend. His favorite was Asian Wind in Lexington. I have heard great things about August Moon, but it is honestly a bit more pricey and upscale than we're looking for. Suggestions?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Best Chinese Food in Louisville?

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Peg,
Ask for the Chinese menu at Jasmine on the East End.
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 pm

I'd agree with Jasmine and also add Peking City Bistro in Middletown on US60 at Juneau; and Oriental House on Shelbyville Road at Fairmeade in St. Matthews, which looks like an old-school Chinese-American place from the '60s but also has an excellent authentic Hong Kong menu that they'll gladly provide to Westerners in English.

I am still lamenting the loss of Red Pepper. <sob>
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Second the Oriental House. Has been a favorite of mine for a few decades!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I can't speak for anything else on the menu, but I had a darn good Tofu and Eggplant at Asian Moon (Hikes Lane) last week. It was a well combined dish--texture and sauce The miso soup was better than most places as well.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:20 pm

PS: I like August Moon a lot, but don't generally include it in these discussions without an asterisk, since it's really more of an Asian-fusion bistro with some Malaysian accents than authentic Chinese-for-Chinese.
no avatar
User

Mark Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

by Mark Gilley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm

I hate to go all "tree hugger", but the last time i was at oriental house they had shark fin soup on the menu, which pisses me off to no end.
If your looking for cheap take-out style, I really like double dragon in germantown. some of the best crab rangoon i've had anywhere.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:34 pm

We eat at Jade Palace at least once a week-- you can always ask for the Chinese menu, if you don't care for the buffet. The dim sum is very popular on sundays, and the vegetarian options are plentiful every day.. :D
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:09 pm

What ever happened with The Empress of China? I remember thinking it was a quality Chinese Restaurant back in the day, but that was 15-20 years ago, and I was also a lot less advised. Was I wrong? I know they're still around, but I never hear anything about them. I don't go out to dinner for Chinese very often due to being "burnt out" on the flavors, but that may change some day once I get "burnt out" on all the other flavors.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Paula B wrote:We eat at Jade Palace at least once a week-- you can always ask for the Chinese menu, if you don't care for the buffet. The dim sum is very popular on sundays, and the vegetarian options are plentiful every day.. :D

I totally agree on Jade Palace dim sum. It's wonderful, and will go a long way to satisfy anyone who misses "real" Chinese in Louisville. I have not been so happy with their Chinese menu, which to me is okay but lacks the authenticity of the "real Chinese" menus at Jasmine, Peking City and Oriental House.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Jackie R. wrote:What ever happened with The Empress of China? I remember thinking it was a quality Chinese Restaurant back in the day, but that was 15-20 years ago, and I was also a lot less advised. Was I wrong? I know they're still around, but I never hear anything about them. I don't go out to dinner for Chinese very often due to being "burnt out" on the flavors, but that may change some day once I get "burnt out" on all the other flavors.

Emperor of China in Holiday Manor, its sibling, was one of the best Chinese in town years ago, but I think the newer top-tier places have surpassed it. We went back within the past couple of years, and it's still got a nice atmosphere and decent fare, but I'd still go back to the places mentioned above.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jackie R. wrote:What ever happened with The Empress of China? I remember thinking it was a quality Chinese Restaurant back in the day, but that was 15-20 years ago, and I was also a lot less advised. Was I wrong? I know they're still around, but I never hear anything about them. I don't go out to dinner for Chinese very often due to being "burnt out" on the flavors, but that may change some day once I get "burnt out" on all the other flavors.

Emperor of China in Holiday Manor, its sibling, was one of the best Chinese in town years ago, but I think the newer top-tier places have surpassed it. We went back within the past couple of years, and it's still got a nice atmosphere and decent fare, but I'd still go back to the places mentioned above.

First world problems, for sure, but I believe you. If you do another offline at a Chinese restaurant anytime soon, please let me know. I need a re-introduction, and have never had "Dim Sum".
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Jackie R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

First world problems, for sure, but I believe you. If you do another offline at a Chinese restaurant anytime soon, please let me know. I need a re-introduction, and have never had "Dim Sum".

Emporer was one of my first jobs and I went back recently...

It made me sad- to watch the slow death of such a great establishment. We were so brilliant back in the day.

Jackie- no dim sum? Oh! We gotta fix that. PM this brother and we'll go get down on some Chinese Soul Food. Pretty much anytime, as long as Peter or Sum are around Jade Palace.

It's on me)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Jackie R. wrote: If you do another offline at a Chinese restaurant anytime soon, please let me know. I need a re-introduction, and have never had "Dim Sum".

I'd love to, even if it's a mini-offline! If you and Stephen think about going, give Mary and me a yell? 8)
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 pm

By the way, I completely agree with Robin's assesment of Jade Palace's 'Chinese Menu.' It lacks those flavors. It's good, but Westernized.

I'd be a happy boy if I saw the cleaner, crisper approach like we had with Red Pepper...

It was just a 'this is our food, as we make it' thing. And it was brilliant.
Next