Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Best Chinese Food in Louisville?

by Adriel Gray » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Adrian Baldwin wrote:Anyone been to China Inn @ UofL?

Ages ago. Sounds like it's time for a trip back! Thanks, Adrian.

I like China Inn, but their Thai menu is better than the Chinese food. The owners are Thai.

Oriental House is the best Chinese in town, imho. Plus their dim sum menu is better than Jade Palace's.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:I like China Inn, but their Thai menu is better than the Chinese food. The owners are Thai.

Noted. It was indeed the Thai dishes mentioned that caught my attention.

Oriental House is the best Chinese in town, imho. Plus their dim sum menu is better than Jade Palace's.

I like Oriental House a lot and really appreciated its new owners' commitment to making authentic dishes available to Westerners. As far as I know, they were the first in Louisville to do that, in the early 2000s.

Best in town, though? I have a hard time deciding among Oriental House, Jasmine and Peking City Bistro. They all have "authentic" menus available to all, and the other two both have "name" chefs from the old country. To me, "best" is whichever I ate at last, pretty much.

We were at Jade Palace for dim sum last weekend and left a little disappointed. It seemed to have dropped off a notch, and perhaps significantly, there weren't many Chinese there. I wasn't whelmed when Oriental House first started serving dim sum, but I guess it's time for another look.

Thanks, Adriel, and by the way, welcome to the forum!
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:To me, "best" is whichever I ate at last, pretty much.

Too true!

Robing Garr wrote:Thanks, Adriel, and by the way, welcome to the forum!

Cheers, thanks for having me! :D
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:11 am

I was out in the Fern Creek /Beuchel area Friday with a friend that suggested we dine at Empress of China. I thought "yeah sure, haven't eaten there in a million years so OK."
Whoa! Talk about going downhill. The whole restaurant looked downright shabby. The big fish tanks that were once stunning were filthy. (Really, FILTHY) with a couple of floaters. I can't say I noticed anything else dirty, but it could really use some fresh paint and carpet shampooing. There was only one other table dining when we were there (noon). As far as the meal goes my duck in oyster sauce was cold duck under a hot sauce instead of hot all the way through. Crab Rangoon was excellent. Perhaps the best ever. Shrimp toast was soggy. My friend was somewhat pleased with his dinner of Chinese vegetables. Service was fine.
All in all it was a far cry from the great restaurant it once was. I see no need to return.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:39 am

Service was fine. All in all it was a far cry from the great restaurant it once was. I see no need to return.

My sentiments exactly.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:42 am

China Inn was the first Chinese food I ever tried, back when the place was new, and I was a student at U of L. I still go there occasionally, and it's still my favorite, but I also like Café Mimosa's Egg Roll Machine, and there's a good place in the Kroger strip on Goss, in Germantown. I even still like Chopsticks, across from the old AAA on E. Broadway.

That all being said, the blah-est Chinese food I've ever had was at a place on Hikes Lane at Klondike Ln, that I think many moons ago was a Burger Chef. It was overpriced and just not very good at all. They have since closed, and another Chinese place appears to be taking it over.
Previous