Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marty finds his way to South End's Tuscany Italian

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:16 am

Marty posts a concise (535 words), straightforward review today from the South End's intriguing Tuscany Italian, bestowing a three-star rating and, it seems, leaving with impressions very similar to mine in the Oct. 10 LHB/LEO review. I'm a little surprised that he didn't mention the chef's Mexican heritage, just because it's offbeat and interesting; and it would have been a good service to readers to mention that, although this Walmart/Big K shopping center's actual address is on New Cut Road, the restaurant is actually located a good two blocks west of New Cut on Outer Loop. Still, if you like family Italian-American in a slightly different style than Melillo's, it's worth the trek out past Iroquois Park just for the experience.

[url=http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071110/SCENE02/711100349/1044]Simply Italian
Tuscany's bustle, well-prepared fare extend a welcome[/url]

<B>Tuscany Italian Restaurant</B>
119 New Cut Road
(502) 363-0308
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 am

We have been eating there on Mondays (child at Boy Scouts, too far to drive home) and LOVE it. The bread is wonderfull and everything was have tried has been great. With all ths publicity though, now it will be crowded! :wink:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:45 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:We have been eating there on Mondays (child at Boy Scouts, too far to drive home) and LOVE it. The bread is wonderfull and everything was have tried has been great. With all ths publicity though, now it will be crowded! :wink:

Well ... the CJ's impact isn't what it used to be. Marty dramatically improved the restaurant column over his predecessor, but Gannett is doing all they can to make Scene an irrelevant advertising flier. I do think a good review by Marty will still drive a crowd to an East End location, but I doubt that Scene (or, to be fair, LEO) is going to send hordes out to New Cut Road at Outer Loop.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:03 am

Oh, I don't know about that......maybe the CJ is lame, but, they told us the week that the LEO piece came out they had problems keeping up. :D :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:35 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:Oh, I don't know about that......maybe the CJ is lame, but, they told us the week that the LEO piece came out they had problems keeping up. :D :D

Really! I'm pleased, if a little surprised.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:46 am

Oh, geez, it doesn't take that long to get down to the south end!

This is a really nice restaurant serving up eclectic flavors -- it's just in an unusual location for that. Lucky us down here!
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:08 pm

I looked at a hardcopy version of the Scene for the first time in months. How awful. It's tons and tons of advertisements with tiny articles stuck in here and there. Really bad.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:Oh, geez, it doesn't take that long to get down to the south end!

This is a really nice restaurant serving up eclectic flavors -- it's just in an unusual location for that. Lucky us down here!

I agree on all counts, Steve, but unfortunately, whether you and I know better or not, I do think it's awfully hard to get either Crescent Hill/Clifton/Highlands folks or East Enders out to the South End or to Southern Indiana.

And let's face it, we're talking about a grim stretch of South End here, where the major shopping center is anchored by a Big K and a Walmart.

Tuscany is a little jewel in that setting, and no, it's not that far ... only a couple of miles out Southside and New Cut from Vietnam Kitchen. But psychologically, it's a long way for a lot of people.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:17 pm

Went there last Sunday; the food was outstanding! Downside was the service wasn't all that great. Our server was ending her shift around dessert time and didn't finish out with us ... passed us along to someone else. It was extremely bizarre.

Party of three ... all entrees were extremely good. I hit the jackpot with the spinach-mushroom manicotti. Everyone wanted it! The tiramisu was close to sinful as was the cannoli.

It really isn't that far for east enders, especially via the Snyder. And well worth the drive.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:27 pm

Rebecca Clark wrote:It really isn't that far for east enders, especially via the Snyder. And well worth the drive.

Rebecca, obviously you don't drive the Snyder on a regular basis. The trip from US60 to I-65 takes forever and is very scary especially during rush hour. A better alternative is the new Hurstbourne Parkway extension, it's faster and safer than the Snyder.

Although I do agree no matter what route you take it's worth the trip for Tuscany, but not sure about much else though from the comments above.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:40 am

Mark R. wrote:
Rebecca Clark wrote:It really isn't that far for east enders, especially via the Snyder. And well worth the drive.

Rebecca, obviously you don't drive the Snyder on a regular basis. The trip from US60 to I-65 takes forever and is very scary especially during rush hour. A better alternative is the new Hurstbourne Parkway extension, it's faster and safer than the Snyder.

This may be good advice if you live in the 'burbs, but from pretty much anywhere in the urban area, it probably makes more sense to head out South Third Street and work over to New Cut and then go straight out to Outer Loop. Or get to I-65 and take 65 to Crittenden exit and work over to South Third from there.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 am

Mark R. wrote:Rebecca, obviously you don't drive the Snyder on a regular basis. The trip from US60 to I-65 takes forever and is very scary especially during rush hour. A better alternative is the new Hurstbourne Parkway extension, it's faster and safer than the Snyder.

Actually, Mark, until recently, I drove the Snyder on a daily basis. I just learned different routes (off Snyder) to take during rush hour to avoid the congestion as much as possible. On most occasions, it isn't bad after 7:00 p.m. I was making the suggestion for people who would consider this restaurant for a dinner destination or on weekends. Sorry, I should have qualified my statement.
no avatar
User

Wayde H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm

Tuscany

by Wayde H » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:14 pm

We tried Tuscany this weekend and also felt that it was very good...not Melillo's good, but still good. Thier bread is very tasty, and so was the tri-colored tortellini in Alfredo. My wife had the spinach calzone, which was also very cheesy and good. I sometimes think that it is funy when people talk about how far of a drive somewhere is. WE live in Bardstown, and drive to all parts of Louisville to dine at the restauants we feel have good food, whether it is South End, Highlands, Downtown, Springhurst, or Indiana. We hav even driven to Land Between the Lakes just to eat at Patty's settlement.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 pm

My wife and I ate there yesterday. I mapquested from New Albany and found out that mapquesting from New Albany wasn't a good idea. It took us a lot longer than I would have thought.

We both had veal dishes and they were both excellent. What was very impressive was that the side of pasta had the same preparation as the veal and the pasta was cooked perfectly el dente. I found the entree prices to be very reasonable. Salad is not included. I had a Caesar salad for 2.95 that was a small dish of Romaine lettuce with bottled dressing. They need to do better on their salads.

The server got our orders right. It took a bit long to explain what we were ordering to him. The word 'penne' didn't seem to be in his vocabulary. To his credit, he did get it right.

I'll go back. I thought it was an enjoyable place. And now that I know a far better way to get there, it'll be easy.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:12 pm

I checked it out Saturday and as other people have stated the mapquesting is a waste of time but luckily (or unluckily) I am from the south end and know that the Walmart out there is on Outer Loop and not New cut. I find it strange that New cut is the address though, anyway. It was decent food. Cheap prices. The downside is the service. It reminded me of a good fazzoli's. Young highschool/college servers. The space kind of reminded me of a pizza joint but the food isnt bad at all. I just dont know if its good enough to make the trip when I have so many good italian places surrounding me.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".