Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Delicious and Dangerous Mushrooms tomorrow.

by Dan L. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:59 pm

I just noticed this event in Velocity's weekend listings. Ed Triner, retired biology teacher, will discuss each specimen and provide information and edibility. 2PM $5 for adults. This is being held at the Falls of the Ohio Interpretive Center in Clarksville.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Delicious and Dangerous Mushrooms tomorrow.

by Jay M. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:11 pm

Dan L. wrote:I just noticed this event in Velocity's weekend listings. Ed Triner, retired biology teacher, will discuss each specimen and provide information and edibility. 2PM $5 for adults. This is being held at the Falls of the Ohio Interpretive Center in Clarksville.

Do you mean he's going to evaluate wild mushrooms in the field? I have always heard that you should not, under any circumstances, do this unless you have specific training (likely more training than you can get in a $5 course). In France the French equivalent of pharmacists receive intense training in mushroom identification. You can take your field-picked mushrooms to a pharmacy (look for the green cross) and they will tell you what you can and can't eat.

I'd like to see Rebecca's take on this.
no avatar
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 pm

I think this would be an interesting class; however, I would strongly advise anyone interested in foraging wild mushrooms to buy a field guide to help in identification. Our favorite (and many other mushroom affectionados) is the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms Image

Generally speaking, Billy and I are familiar with about 5 - 7 "choice" edible mushrooms and focus our attention on those. The easiest to identify - morels, chanterelles, chicken of the woods, oysters, hen of the woods, puff balls, and wood ears. Under no circumstances should you eat a wild mushroom unless you are absolutely sure of what it is. In addition, the mushrooms should always be cooked. Morels have a look-alike (false morel) that can be poisonous unless well-cooked. The chanterelles have a look-alike (jack-o-lantern) that will cause severe stomach upset. Chicken of the woods needs to be picked fresh or it can cause some tingling on your lips.

Another rule that I would give is to learn what the deadly poisonous mushrooms are and be able to identify them. There are two at the top of my list and I have found one at our farm -- Destroying Angel and Death Cap. Both of these are in the Amanitaceae Family. The problem with these mushrooms is that they make you a bit ill at first and then you think you are better. All the while, the mushroom has caused severe liver damage and by the time it is diagnosed, it is often too late.

Finally, just because a mushroom is edible in one part of the world does not make it ok in other parts of the world.

It IS okay to pick a wild mushroom and look at it, smell it, admire it; however, the rule of thumb is that unless you are absolutely sure on the identification (or someone that has experience has identified it) - DON"T EAT IT.

A good site that talks about mushroom poisoning is:

http://www.sph.umich.edu/~kwcee/mpcr/

And a fun and informative mushroom site:
http://tomvolkfungi.net/

There's my take .... thanks all!
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Excellent post Rebecca! Two other things to remember if your mushrooming hunting: Never pick all the mushrooms. Leave a few and when they decompose; The spores will re-generate and create more mushrooms. Also, put them in a potato or onion sack when hunting. When you walk, some spores will fall out onto the ground and grow later(as long as conditions are right).