Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

White Castle returns to St. Matthews rumor??

by Scott Rudd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Ok, I heard this about 6 months ago…yes I was surprised and even doubted it. I still had yet to see hard facts but today…there is a change afoot.

The KFC across from Trinity High School…closed and signs down. Now for the good part…White Castle is taking that spot….Again…this is just a rumor! But, having lived in St. Matthew's almost my entire life. I will say...Welcome Back to St. Matthew's!!!
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: St. Matthew’s Rumor??

by Linda C » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:57 pm

That's the good part? Crap for food White Castle replacing crap for food KFC? There are a handful I can think of which would be so much better....Au Bon Pain, Chipotle, Noodles and Co, Corner Bakery, Taco del Mar. At least they have some healthy options and variety.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm

I hear what Scott is saying, though. The St. Matthews WC and the Bardstown Eastern Parkway WC were both part of growing up for me, and I miss seeing those landmarks in the neighborhood.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 pm

No matter what Robin links to in other posts, I always welcome a new White Castle! It is crap food, but that's what I go there for and I make no aspersions otherwise.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Linda C wrote:That's the good part? Crap for food White Castle replacing crap for food KFC? There are a handful I can think of which would be so much better....Au Bon Pain, Chipotle, Noodles and Co, Corner Bakery, Taco del Mar. At least they have some healthy options and variety.

I'll take White Castle's crap over KFC's crap any day. As a matter of fact, WC's crap is the best crap I've ever had. 8)

(never mind my avatar :wink: )
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 pm

I certainly have to agree with Linda on this one, WC is certainly not any better than KFC. At least I can tolerate eating KFC once in awhile but I can't say the same for WC. Too bad we are going to get a restaurant with respectable food even some of the better chains like mentioned but Linda. Of course I'm sure any fast food restaurant in that location will do well because of Trinity!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 am

I think I outgrew White Castle when I was about 13, but I still remember going there in downtown Chicago at about that age. But for those of you who are political at all, I do think it makes sense to stop giving your money to political parties you don't like:
"White Castle
CEO E.W. “Bill” Ingram III, grandson of the company founder, gives to the GOP. White Castle’s PAC contributes almost exclusively to Republican candidates."

Enjoy. I'll be elsewhere....
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:07 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote:I think I outgrew White Castle when I was about 13, but I still remember going there in downtown Chicago at about that age. But for those of you who are political at all, I do think it makes sense to stop giving your money to political parties you don't like:
"White Castle
CEO E.W. “Bill” Ingram III, grandson of the company founder, gives to the GOP. White Castle’s PAC contributes almost exclusively to Republican candidates."

Dude, we are talking hamburgers......take a deep breath :roll:
BShep
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 am

Bryan Shepherd wrote:
Nimbus Couzin wrote:I think I outgrew White Castle when I was about 13, but I still remember going there in downtown Chicago at about that age. But for those of you who are political at all, I do think it makes sense to stop giving your money to political parties you don't like:
"White Castle

Dude, we are talking hamburgers......take a deep breath :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well said Bryan!
Deb
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Scott Rudd wrote:The KFC across from Trinity High School…closed and signs down.

I never liked that KFC. And it always had a bad letter rating.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

by DustinStaggers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 pm

From someone who works extremely late and right up the street, I am quite excited if this is true.
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
no avatar
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

The WC Louge was an institution in St Mattews for 69 years. Crap in your opinion or not it was a place you could go 24/7 364 for a hot cup of joe or hot chocolate. I would be very happy if it came back. I do not know if anyone here has had to work odd hours, but I have, and was very grateful for the WC Lounge. Their breakfast sandwiches are pretty damn good.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu May 30, 2013 5:07 pm

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Willie Myers wrote:looks like it might be for real?
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... inity-High

I love this paragraph in the news release:

A drawing shows a building with predominantly blue and white exterior finishings, awnings over numerous windows and a 27-foot high ornamental castle-style tower at the front.

Well yeah! It's a White Castle! :lol:
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Re: White Castle returns to St. Matthews rumor??

by Susanne Smith » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

I go years without WC and then hit them up for a month or so. WC is a state of mind, a nostalgic institution that is so entwined with our history is is hard not to like them,. Plus, as everybody likes to remind us, they are steamed brother, healthy steam, and little healthy steamed onions, and top quality meat. You can't even begin to compare KFC with WC no matter the politics. And about one or two in the morning, the castle ramparts shine in the moonlight with a big old WE ARE OPEN. They are marketing geniuses as well. Who remembers the Mad Men inspired commercial from the late sixties, that showed a gentlemen boarding his airplane flight with a cardboard suitcase of Sliders. Not liking WC has nothing to do with anything. WC iis a timeless reminder of burning rubber and that lone homeless guy in the corner booth that always got free Coffee. I live a couple of blocks away and I'm tickled pink. Fish with Cheese, Priceless!
Next