Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chick-Fil-A under fire again

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Chick-Fil-A under fire again

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:34 am

Rob Coffey wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:From this perspective, what corporations do with profits always matters (and matters more now that elections can be next-to bought). At the same time, I'm not going to assume what one company does or doesn't do with its profits. Yet it's, as I said earlier, living in a fantasy world for me to ignore publicly stated facts regarding how a company spends its profits. Furthermore, I'm not going to excuse one company's practices based on the argument that it should be assumed that many other companies I support use their profits in ways I would not agree. That is a fallacious argument.

A little exploring can be a dangerous thing! No more White Castle! No more Waffle House! <sob>

5 Food Companies Run by Radical Right-Wingers

I can ease your mind on the Waffle one, if he is a close associate of Romney, as the story mentions, he isnt radically right wing. MA doesnt elect radically right wingers in statewide elections.

Someone who thinks Romney is radical is way too tied up in Team Red/Team Blue rah rah BS.

I also wonder about White Castle . . . the amount of money donated was minimal, and they are headquartered just down the way from John Boehner (also in Ohio), so I wonder if it was just a "cover your ass" donation.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:39 am

Rob Coffey wrote:I can ease your mind on the Waffle one, if he is a close associate of Romney, as the story mentions, he isnt radically right wing. MA doesnt elect radically right wingers in statewide elections.

Someone who thinks Romney is radical is way too tied up in Team Red/Team Blue rah rah BS.

Just stirrin' the pot ... :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 am

Rob Coffey wrote:I can ease your mind on the Waffle one,

Note also, though ...

"The breakfast joint has given $100,000 this election cycle to the Karl Rove super PAC American Crossroads."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:44 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:I also wonder about White Castle . . . the amount of money donated was minimal, and they are headquartered just down the way from John Boehner (also in Ohio), so I wonder if it was just a "cover your ass" donation.

That does make sense, and yes, corporations do that. Still ...

White Castle has given $25,000 to the Congressional Leadership Fund super PAC, a group linked to House Speaker John Boehner that is supporting conservative candidates in the November election.

Given that the next president will likely make three Supreme Court appointments that could affect the shape of the court for the next generation, I might still make a personal decision to do all I can to avoid supporting any organization that seeks to put conservative candidates in.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 am

Luckily, Robin, most of those have no impact on me. The only one that might is White Castle, but after doing some more research prompted by your link, it appears they donated to a super PAC (whatever the hell that is) that funded all kinds of things, some of which had ties to certain politicians with undesirable ways of thinking. In my mind the degrees of separation are a bit greater than in the CFA situation. That would be akin to me donating to a homeless shelter only to find out they sometimes serve meals made with non-locally sourced produce, and then getting blasted for being anti-small business. The CFA situation is more like me giving a guy $8 to directly turn around and tell my friend that his life in invalid.

Even so, it is important to me to know these kinds of things, so thanks for the link.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:I can ease your mind on the Waffle one,

Note also, though ...

"The breakfast joint has given $100,000 this election cycle to the Karl Rove super PAC American Crossroads."

Rove is a neo-con, neo-cons are Trotskyites, hence radical left wing, correct? Thats my logic anyway.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 am

Rob Coffey wrote:Rove is a neo-con, neo-cons are Trotskyites, hence radical left wing, correct? Thats my logic anyway.

Nah. Rove is a dirty trickster in the great Republican tradition of Chuck Colson through Nixon's Watergate "Plumbers" and Lee Atwater (before Lee's deathbed conversion). Rove, by and large, brought us George W. Bush, the worst president the US has ever had, and through his two wars and tax breaks for the rich, put us in the fix that Obama is still trying to get us out of today in the face of McConnell's and Boehner's resistance. That Karl Rove. That's the one I don't want even one penny of my fast-food dollars to fund.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:10 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:Rove is a neo-con, neo-cons are Trotskyites, hence radical left wing, correct? Thats my logic anyway.

Nah. Rove is a dirty trickster in the great Republican tradition of Chuck Colson through Nixon's Watergate "Plumbers" and Lee Atwater (before Lee's deathbed conversion). Rove, by and large, brought us George W. Bush, the worst president the US has ever had, and through his two wars and tax breaks for the rich, put us in the fix that Obama is still trying to get us out of today in the face of McConnell's and Boehner's resistance. That Karl Rove. That's the one I don't want even one penny of my fast-food dollars to fund.

So you are saying Rove is not a Neocon? Its possible he is an opportunist that just played one to advance his career, but that seems unlikely, considering how long he was pushing neocon philosophy.

Unless you have evidence otherwise, Im sticking with "Rove is a neocon". Which means he is a leftist.

Or, to put it in early 90s pop culture terms:
Neo-conservatives are neither new nor conservative. Discuss.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 am

Robin Garr wrote:

+1
The ugly thing about Rove is that he really does not indicate he has any moral investment in anything he does or "believes". He just enjoys being a master manipulator and pulling strings.
Last edited by Carla G on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 am

Rob Coffey wrote:So you are saying Rove is not a Neocon?

No. I'm not addressing that because I don't care about that. I'm saying he was one of the brains behind Dubya, and a dirty trickster, and that poisons him for me before we even get to his brand of political theology.

"Rove is a neocon". Which means he is a leftist.

You have got to be #&%$ing kidding me. :lol:
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 am

Robin Garr wrote: George W. Bush, the worst president the US has ever had

Insanely off-topic, but over Wilson? Same military philosophy, but Wilson was openly racist in a way Bush wasnt. You can say lots of bad stuff about Bush, but I dont think he was a wilsonian racist. And it wasnt a "product of his time" type racism either, he actively reversed positive trends on that front.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:So you are saying Rove is not a Neocon?

No. I'm not addressing that because I don't care about that. I'm saying he was one of the brains behind Dubya, and a dirty trickster, and that poisons him for me before we even get to his brand of political theology.

Thats all fair, and I agree with you. But Im also getting to his particular politics.

"Rove is a neocon". Which means he is a leftist.

You have got to be #&%$ing kidding me. :lol:

No, not at all, neoconism comes from the Trotskyite tradition. This isnt a joke. Its a different left than you inhabit, but its still left.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 am

Rob Coffey wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: George W. Bush, the worst president the US has ever had

Insanely off-topic, but over Wilson? Same military philosophy, but Wilson was openly racist in a way Bush wasnt. You can say lots of bad stuff about Bush, but I dont think he was a wilsonian racist. And it wasnt a "product of his time" type racism either, he actively reversed positive trends on that front.

I'm talking about his effect on the real world: Two wars, one insane tax cut, turned Clinton's surplus into a massive deficit and left office as the nation plunged into depression. Wilson was a Southerner and a product of his cultural times, yes. But it's difficult to take that kind of ideology out of its historical context. In many ways, the writings of Abraham Lincoln could be turned to show him as a racist. It's lame to project that forward. Frankly, presidents captain a very large vessel with a sizable crew. The president's personal ideology may be interesting, but it's really not the best measure to gauge them by. We need to look at results, and on that basis, Dubya fails bigger than anyone else. Even Hoover, who's probably the most directly comparable but was at least an intelligent man who was more a victim of his times than his policies.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am

Surprised Papa John's isn't in that article Robin posted, since PJ CEO John Schnatter has hosted fundraisers for both Mitt Romney and Brooks Wicker at his house this election cycle.

FYI -- this is a pretty decent explanation of the history of Neoconservatism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-conservatives. Yes, it has its origins in leftism/liberalism, but it's quite a far stretch to say that current Neoconservatives have anything in common, ideologically, with the left at this point.

PS. Don't forget Hurricane Katrina on the list of W's terrible blunders, Robin!
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Just a momentary interruption...

Is it remotely possible that folks who oppose same sex marriage have valid reasons and concerns, and aren't just haters? Is this even conceivable?

Now resuming the regularly scheduled 2-minute hate session..
PreviousNext