Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chick-Fil-A under fire again

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chick-Fil-A under fire again

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 pm

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Also:

Steve H wrote:Is it remotely possible that folks who oppose same sex marriage have valid reasons and concerns,

Fails for lack of relevance. This article is about single-parent households, race and poverty (which is Jason DeParle's beat) and doesn't have a thing to do with same-sex marriage. In fact, by definition, a gay couple would provide a two-parent family. Seems the haters should be happy about that.

Now resuming the regularly scheduled 2-minute hate session..

Evoking "1984" for snark falls under the same general rubric as a Godwin's Law violation. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:24 pm

You and they suffer from a supreme lack of empathy. It's impossible to grant the possibility of honest disagreement and fall back on easy assumptions of hate and ill will.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Also:

Steve H wrote:Is it remotely possible that folks who oppose same sex marriage have valid reasons and concerns,

Fails for lack of relevance.

So says you. I included that link because it was timely, and it shows the value of traditional families.

Robin Garr wrote:This article is about single-parent households, race and poverty (which is Jason DeParle's beat) and doesn't have a thing to do with same-sex marriage. In fact, by definition, a gay couple would provide a two-parent family.

Uh... Maybe Not. I'm not making an assertion of truth, just that there is evidence both ways.

Robin Garr wrote:Seems the haters should be happy about that.

See. You can't even concede that there's room for honest disagreement. Can you explain why always jumping to the "hater" explanation doesn't make you a "hater"? It's at least intellectually lazy.

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:Now resuming the regularly scheduled 2-minute hate session..

Evoking "1984" for snark falls under the same general rubric as a Godwin's Law violation. :mrgreen:

I grant it was a little snarky. But it's honestly what comes to mind when reading through threads like this, e.g. everybody jumping in to agree how awful "those" people are.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Steve H wrote:I grant it was a little snarky. But it's honestly what I think of when a read through threads like this, where everybody jumps in to agree how awful "those" people are.

I'm sorry, but I see this as consistent with the battles fought by blacks and women in their turn, and I can't stand silently when I hear what I consider to be pushback against "the arc of justice bending toward freedom."
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Ok.

Now resuming the regularly scheduled 2-minute hate session..
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:04 pm

The only arguments regularly presented against same sex marriages seem to be biblical. As I am all for religious freedom I could allow that argument but those individuals so concerned about evoking God's law conviently ignore the rest of the Jewish law covenant. Do they eat shellfish? Pork? Wear polyester/cotton blend clothes? No, I am sorry but you are not allowed to cherry pick which laws you think need to be followed and which laws can be ignored for the sake of your convience.

And as far as going on and on about the laws of nature, I guess I better get my old biology books out and start posting about other species that share homosexual/bisexual/transsexual tendencies. Let's face it, there are no good reasons to deny marriage to same sex couples.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: George W. Bush, the worst president the US has ever had

Insanely off-topic, but over Wilson? Same military philosophy, but Wilson was openly racist in a way Bush wasnt. You can say lots of bad stuff about Bush, but I dont think he was a wilsonian racist. And it wasnt a "product of his time" type racism either, he actively reversed positive trends on that front.

I was going to say Harding, at least in the self serving agenda aspect. But let's not forget Andrew Johnson. He was as bad for America as Bush aspired to be.
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

by JeffD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:24 pm

relevant to the discussion is the following link

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=745199

stating that the Muppets have terminated their relationship with Chik over the gay marriage issue.

All other arguments and debates aside, I must say that I can't let The Grouch or Cookie Monster take the moral high road over me. So, good by chiki sammich.
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:07 pm

He's a question....

Let's say you have an employee who is exemplary in every measure, and then you find out he advocates against same sex marriage. Should he be fired?
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Steve H wrote:He's a question....

Let's say you have an employee who is exemplary in every measure, and then you find out he advocates against same sex marriage. Should he be fired?

Absolutely not. If you can't see the difference there's no helping you.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Gary Z wrote:

Care to elaborate? You may assume that you are talking with someone less obtuse than me.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Steve H wrote:
Gary Z wrote:

Care to elaborate? You may assume that you are talking with someone less obtuse than me.

Sure. As an individual you have the right to express any opinion you want. As a business owner/operator you may not infringe on the rights of that individual unless those opinions are in direct conflict with the nature or standards of said business.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Furthermore, by not firing said employee you are demonstrating your ability to allow divergent ideas to exist, even if you don't agree with them. CFA doesn't even entertain those who do not fit their worldview. Big difference.

The only way that employee gets fired on those grounds is if they allow their views to negatively impact my business or another employee.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands