Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: Chick-Fil-A under fire again

by Ray Griffith » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

Jason G wrote:I will continue to eat at chik-fil-a on the occasions that I do eat at fast food restaurants. My reasoning is

1) Apparently they have stopped funding organizations that are 100% anti-gay organizations and even donate to some charitable organization that are pro-gay. Source with citations http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/k ... it/c2n0g1e

There are url's in your own link that says otherwise. Such as; http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2011/04/video-chick-fil-a-winshape-loveisherecom-marriage-experts-who-stand-against-our-own.html

Jason G wrote:2) It would be naive to think you are NOT patronizing other organization with extremely right-wing leadership who have an anti-gay agenda. So really you are boycotting chick-fil-a solely based on the fact that their owner actually publicly admits his stance, because you ARE patronizing other anti-gay organizations trust me.

The difference being your speculations on probability vs. publicly announced facts. It would be absurd to boycott a business based purely on speculation.

Jason G wrote:3) A bit hypocritical to boycott a place that donates to anti-gay organization when you probably own large quantities of stuff assembled by slave labor in China which you likely have no remorse about. I mean that is much worse that gays not being able to marry on the human rights scale. No one is standing up for those people and demanding to pay more for their goods.

This is a fallacious argument. Not only for, again, your speculations on probability vs what is already on the table. If a retailer makes a public announcement that they think businesses have right to sell products that are made by slave labor, then I am willing to bet that they would be subject to boycotts as much as, if not more than the scale of the boycott campaign on Chick Filet.

Also, acting solely against one injustice is not hypocritical. Using your example, one could go on and on in attempts to establish irrelevant connections . i.e. Being against human rights violations in China is a bit hypocritical unless you are also against abusive coal mining practices in KY, PA and WV.

BTW; "No one"? There are many organizations standing up for Chinese, as well as laborers in other countries. But that's another thread.

Jason G wrote:So let chik-fil-a donate their entire profit to anti-gay organizations for all I care, its not going to change the fact that within a few years homosexuals will have all the rights we have no matter who is trying to stop it.

You're probably right. However, justifying pouring fuel on a fire just because you know that the fuel will eventually be exhausted at an undetermined time doesn't make sense. i.e. How many LGBT couples will not have the same access and say as a hetero couple with their dying partner in the mean time?

Jason G wrote:So at face value it may be a noble gesture to say "I'm not going to eat there" but if you really think about it its not something you should have a guilty conscious about.

It has nothing to do with any noble gestures or guilty consciouses...at least for me. It has everything to do with simply not wanting my money to ultimately support efforts that I am against.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:48 am

Rob Coffey wrote:So, was there any new info this time around?

Yeah, that's why I posted. Apparently there were substantial new revelations about the extent of the Cathy family's donations ($5 million!), the fact that some of the organizations they give to are actually on the Southern Poverty Law Center's "hate organizations" list, and the fact that both father and son have been outspoken, as owners, about their opinions on gay rights and gay marriage.

This is new because the details, and the Cathys' statements, have come out recently, and have been widely reported in the general media, not just advocacy media.

For me, that's the point at which I say, "Okay, I'm not putting my money into that coporation if they are that vocal about using the proceeds to support a cause that I don't support."

Please note, though, that the original post didn't tell you what to think, it asked you what you thought. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Matthew D wrote: Yeah you might have a [profanity removed] point, if you weren't just comparing a hypothetical with cold hard facts.

At least they are firm enough and confident enough in their beliefs to make them public! A lot more than we did say about many people in organizations.

Yeah. They may be hateful bigots but at least they're proud of it! :roll:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Alison Hanover wrote:$7 you think that is expensive?
Steve H wrote:I'd go to Chick-Fil-A, but the last time, a combo meal was almost $7 bucks!

For fast food, yes. But, $2.15 per hour used to be good money to me.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Joel H wrote:
Mark R. wrote:For all we know the profits from one of the local ethnic restaurants could end up in the hands of an extremist group in the Middle East.

Mark,
For all we know, the profits from one of the local caucasian-owned restaurants could end up in the hands of an extremist group in the Middle East too. Being "ethnic" doesn't make anybody more likely to ssupport extremists than you or I. :(
Deb
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Personally, the "Shady Lane" donates all monies to farms that raise "gay" cows that have died of natural causes before being processed, and are served lacto free, vegan dinners by workers who volunteer thier time, and of course any other profits go to not having insurance, and to our 5% profit margin that we squirrel away in off shore accounts. F##K Chic-fi-straight. I stopped going long ago. This cements the deal, great commercials or not.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm glad Chick-Fil-A finally “came out” so to speak. At least now the vile beliefs of their owner and upper management are common knowledge. It appears that they are throwing down the gauntlet and daring anyone to object. Well I object.

I never ate there much anyway and had already decided to forego further visits. As I never found their food appealing, this is no real sacrifice for me. I don't force my views on anyone else but I will be sure to voice them any time the subject comes up.
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:46 pm

@Ray I don't mean its bad to act against one injustice and not all of them but its just, to me, if youre going to pick a battle to fight this is a lame one to choose. I'm sure there are much better ways to advance this agenda than boycotting chick fil a. Everyone will forget about it in a month anyway. Its faux outrage to me. But each is entitled to his opinion.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Jason G wrote: Everyone will forget about it in a month anyway. Its faux outrage to me.

I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm proud to say I've turned plenty of people off of Chik Fil A in the last four years and it looks like I'm no longer a voice in the wilderness.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Jason,

Once again. My decision to not patronize Chick Filet only (ok, I don't like their food either...but even if I did like their greasy chicken sandwiches....) has to do with the fact that I don't want my money to contribute to the agenda that they seem to support. It's not a battle, activism (not that there's anything wrong with that) or advancing any agenda. It's about where my money goes, plain and simple.

As for the pro marriage equality issue being "lame", like you said, everyone has an opinion. However, why try to criticize and dissect the motivations of those that choose this "battle"?
Last edited by Ray Griffith on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Mark R. wrote:He is a very good commentary from Insider Louisville on the subject: http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2012/07/20/guest-blogger-jason-falls-is-the-chick-fil-a-anti-gay-issue-that-simple/

It's good because it reflects your worldview, correct?

I was shocked to see that it was written by a white, heterosexual male who has every single advantage in the world.

This is the best part of the article:

"Though I support love and marriage between anyone regardless of gender or other factors, I know the practicality of never eating at Chick-fil-A again is sticky. I have young children. I do not want to explain homosexuality or same-sex marriage to a four-year-old. And I can promise you that spending $18 at a company whose CEO is a narrow-minded, dim-wit is a lot better than breaking a daughter’s heart which is set on playing at Chick-fil-A on Saturday."

Let me translate: I do what is easiest for me. I live in a fantasyland and choose to raise my daughter in the same fantasyland. I use the child-pressre placed on me by my four-year-old as an excuse to not have a backbone. I support marriage equality as long as it doesn't really affect me or ask anything of me. I'm not really for anything that actually asks anything of me. I'm most happy when everyone just leaves me alone to live in my fantasyland.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Matthew D wrote:Let me translate: I do what is easiest for me. I live in a fantasyland and choose to raise my daughter in the same fantasyland. I use the child-pressre placed on me by my four-year-old as an excuse to not have a backbone. I support marriage equality as long as it doesn't really affect me or ask anything of me. I'm not really for anything that actually asks anything of me. I'm most happy when everyone just leaves me alone to live in my fantasyland.

Good work! That's even better than the Jive translator in the movie Airplane. :mrgreen:
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Let me translate: I do what is easiest for me. I live in a fantasyland and choose to raise my daughter in the same fantasyland. I use the child-pressre placed on me by my four-year-old as an excuse to not have a backbone. I support marriage equality as long as it doesn't really affect me or ask anything of me. I'm not really for anything that actually asks anything of me. I'm most happy when everyone just leaves me alone to live in my fantasyland.

Good work! That's even better than the Jive translator in the movie Airplane. :mrgreen:

LOL. "Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help. Jive ass fool ain't got no brains anyhow."
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Hate-fil-A has LONG been a no-fly zone for me and it was heartbreaking for the wife who loves the damn chicken sandwich, but there is no way I can give my hard earned money to a company that openly and proudly promotes an agenda of hate.

It looks like Boston will be a no hate zone as well!
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2012/07/mayor-chick-fil-a-or-whatever-the-hell-the-name-is-doesnt-belong-in-boston/

You know, its a shame American slave owners and the Nazi's didn't sell great chicken sandwiches, otherwise they might still be around today as well! :roll:

Sidebar: Well translated Matthew D. It sucks when we have to explain things to our kids or deny them their every whim. It's so hard to do....
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext