Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best Turkeys?

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Best Turkeys?

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 am

Here's a link to an interesting article from Newsweek that lists the top five turkeys in their taste testing Top Turkeys.

I find it interesting that two of the top five are "Generic" brands that are available anywhere (Butterball and Jennie-O). Of course this article summary doesn't say who the testers were nor what the testing criteria was. I haven't been able to find a copy of the entire article but it would be interesting to read.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:57 am

Does anyone know if we can get the Rubashkin’s Aaron’s Best turkeys around here?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:40 am

Robin F. wrote:Does anyone know if we can get the Rubashkin’s Aaron’s Best turkeys around here?

That's a New Jersey-based kosher poultry producer, I believe, and I don't think their products are available outside that region. However, some artisan producers around Kentucky are growing an heirloom breed, Bourbon Red turkeys, that are supposed to be great, and frankly, if humane treatment and avoidance of added hormones and such is of concern to you, I'd be inclined to stick with local farmers. We lived for a short time in New York's Catskills region, where there were a lot of small kosher producers around, and the papers were constantly full of reports about all sorts of problems ranging from inhumane treatment to serious sanitation issues; and the look and smell of a lot of the producers didn't give me any reason to mistrust the media accounts. I've steered well clear of kosher poultry ever since, although in fairness, these were typically small, rural farms, and I do assume that regional producers are more closely regulated.

Anyway, Star Farm near Hardyville, Ky., not far from Elizabethtown, has Bourbon Reds, and they make it onto Louisville restaurant menus at least. I'm not sure if they sell direct to the public, but it would be worth checking out.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Preferred Meats in Sellerburg, IN is taking pre-orders on their turkeys. They are Amish raised birds, with no hormones, etc. I'm not sure how much longer they are taking the orders, so you might check if interested. We ordered one last week.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:04 pm

Try a smoked turkey from Jucys....You will love it.... :D :D
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Amish turkeys

by Gayle DeM » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:47 pm

Every year I order my Amish turkey from Mike Best's Meats. I've already placed my order for this year.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Robin,

Star Farms does sell direct. In a previous posting, I talked about Star Farms and how Slow Foods Bluegrass was taking orders for their Bourbon Red Turkeys for Thanksgiving (so you could pick them up in Louisville).

Unfortunately for people now, Slow Food Bluegrass has filled all their orders already (they sellout every year). But interested folks may still be able to get a few direct from Star Farms. You can contact them: Phone: (270) 528-5843
Fax: (270) 528-5843
Email: khaney242@aol.com

Deb
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 pm

The reports stated must have been about a VERY private label producer, because what is described is complete opposite of what Poultry being Kosher is all about. (I would hope)

Empire (one of the largest producers of Kosher products) has contracts with local producers in Penn. Dutch Country.

Here is a link to help quell the fear of those chicken producers.

http://www.empirekosher.com/zip.php?con ... ickens.htm
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:36 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Star Farms does sell direct. In a previous posting, I talked about Star Farms and how Slow Foods Bluegrass was taking orders for their Bourbon Red Turkeys for Thanksgiving (so you could pick them up in Louisville).

Thanks, Deb. I apologize for forgetting about your post. So many posts, so much to remember!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Heather Y wrote:The reports stated must have been about a VERY private label producer, because what is described is complete opposite of what Poultry being Kosher is all about. (I would hope)

Heather, I hope so too! That kind of report was really common, though, in the early '90s around Sullivan County (Monticello and Liberty), N.Y. And yes, the farms were small. I never really understood, until I lived briefly in that part of the world, just how rural a region only 100 miles from New York City can be.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 pm

Robin,

I frequently can't remember things from yesterday, so I'm amazed you remember as much as you do - on two Forums no less!

Deb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 pm

Butterball and Jennie-O turkeys have been the taste leaders for at least 25 years now (back then I had P&L responsibilities for Butterball). They are the only two growers who actually own their own eggs, and thus who control the breeds (and mandate feed, use basing that obviates the need for brining, pull leg tendons, and so forth).

Experienced turkey people will rarely if ever cook a "fresh" turkey, and will never do it without being able to trace the pedigree of the bird they purchase.

First, "fresh" turkeys can be kept for several months prior to sale, so they are rarely truly fresh (while frozen birds are flash frozen within three hours of slaughter).

Second, the reason fresh birds taste "better" is the same reason aged beef tastes better: some moisture evaporates, concentrating flavors, and - more importantly - bacteria growth intensifying the flavors. The problem is that with the bacteria in beef, we can still digest rare meat and have no problems. If we try to eat aged turkey without cooking it to a virtually dry state (remember, there has been moisture evaporation occuring naturally during aging), there is a significant risk of "digestive distress."

With a frozen bird (especially the premium birds from Butterball of Jennie-O) there are negligible bacteria levels. On one hand, this means a more bland bird (thus the other reason for the injection of basting ingredients); on the other hand, people won't get sick if the bird is cooked at all improperly.

I know of the various heritage birds out there, but from experience will either make a Butterball or - if there is a significant price break - buy a Jennie-O.

If you know the farm supplying your heritage bird, and know that it was slaughered within a day or so of cooking, enjoy!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

turkey

by Heather Y » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:38 am

Does anybody here enjoy TURDUCKEN during Thanksgiving?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: turkey

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:56 am

Heather Y wrote:Does anybody here enjoy TURDUCKEN during Thanksgiving?

I love the recipe, but I've always thought of it as way too much trouble to actually make. :D

Have you actually consumed this Cajun treat, Heather?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

turduckin

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:39 pm

I love the recipe, but I've always thought of it as way too much trouble to actually make

You can buy them at Jungle Jim's (turkey/duck/chicken versions)
Andrew Mellman
Next