Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Amazing Race Showings?

no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:14 am

Shannon Williams wrote:Keep Louisville Weird

And they are certainly doing a great job of that. :D
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am

I didn't realize they were from Grotesque Burlesque! LEO had them one year for an anniversary party or something. I was a bit hesitant about them performing because LEOs crowd can enclude a wide range of folks (READ - sometimes somebody stuffy with no sense of humor showing up )and I thought the performance would be TOO over the top. They were great, very entertaining. I loved their show and found them to be really sweet kids. If they're on GR I hope they win.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm a huge fan of AR, and I've loved both of the couples from Kentucky. At first, I was a tad embarrassed by the sterotypical coal miner couple, but as I got to know them, I really came to love and admire them. Rosie O'Donnell liked them so much she bought them a new house and new car. The two kids currently on the series are adorable, I think. They live in my neighborhood, and I'm so proud of them. I think it's great to see various kinds of people representing Kentucky. How else are others going to learn that we have all kinds of people in our state, not just boring, bland, white-bread suburbanites who only want their own image reflected? The goth kids rock!
no avatar
User

Ashley Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Pink

by Ashley Dunn » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:17 pm

I am also a huge AR fan, and didn't realize the teams were on the show representing the state they reside in. I believe they are representing themselves. And they are doing an excellent job of that.

CBS decided to do away with the "non-elimination rounds" during this season. They felt it made things more competitive. But isn't it interesting how they changed their minds when Kynt and Vixen were about to be eliminated? My guess is that they saw what the majority of us do: A team that is completely respectful of every country they visit, the people they meet, and the travel agents they interact with. They are extremely well spoken, and have quite clearly enjoyed and have been humbled by every culture that they've been exposed to. They always take the time to really look around and soak up as much as they can from the area they are racing through, and will be able to take something away from this exerience, unlike some of the teams that are screaming at each other and pouting throughout the journey.

I don't know Kynt and Vixen personally, but I think they are both awesome - and if I happen to run into them somewhere in our great (and perfectly diverse) city, I will make a point to say hello and thank them for representing Louisville through intelligence, kindness, humility, and their competitive spirit.
no avatar
User

Michelle Manker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:41 pm

by Michelle Manker » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:30 am

Now THAT was well said. Thanks, Ashley.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 am

Let me also say BRAVO for that thoughtful post, Ashley.
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:45 am

Mark R. wrote:
Erin Riedel wrote:
Mark R. wrote:...maybe next time we'll get a couple that is like the majority of kentuckians!

By "Kentuckians" do you mean Anchorage residents?

Certainly not, nor do I think residents of Germantown, Shively or Lyndon do, but I don't think either of the two groups that have been represented on Amazing Race from Kentucky represent the majority of Kentuckians, do you? I realize that this program like most reality shows select people from fringe groups in order to create more drama so people watch the show but they also need to represent a demographic of a state that the residents of that state can identify with in a positive manner which I don't feel this show has done!

Mark, I hate to have to be the one to break this to you... but the coal miner and his wife ARE representative of the majority of Kentuckians.

:)
Previous