Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gordon Biersch Opens Monday

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Gordon Biersch Opens Monday

by Steve P » Sun May 20, 2012 12:35 pm

We were fortunate to be invited to last nights "VIP" reception at Gordon Biersch (Opening Monday)...During the course of the reception we had the opportunity to sample several of their appetizers, entrees and salads as well as most of their beer. All of the dishes we sample we -very- good...as in I'd go back and try this in a heartbeat good. The beer, while not as assertive as some beer I've tried in similar styles -will- have a broad appeal...perhaps to people who might not normally enjoy craft-style beer. No doubt in my mind that this place will be well received by the general populace and a solid 4th St. anchor for a long time.

I won't go into one of those long-winded-on-and-on-and-ON review/disertations, besides Steve Coomes said it better than I could anyway:

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2012/ ... -chain-on/

Biersch 2.jpg

Biersch 4.jpg
Last edited by Steve P on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Gordon Biersch Opens Monday

by Mark R. » Sun May 20, 2012 12:58 pm

I find the sign on the table a little disheartening, assuming tax dollars were really spent. Why should tax dollars be involved in opening this facility? They certainly have sufficient backing to open their own restaurants without using tax money to support their operations. Metro Louisville has enough budget problems without helping Cordish or any other company from outside of the area!

I am glad to hear that the food and beer were good unlike many of the places in 4th Street Live. Did you get to see a menu? What is their pricing going to be like?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun May 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Mark R. wrote:I find the sign on the table a little disheartening, assuming tax dollars were really spent. Why should tax dollars be involved in opening this facility? They certainly have sufficient backing to open their own restaurants without using tax money to support their operations. Metro Louisville has enough budget problems without helping Cordish or any other company from outside of the area!

<shrugs>...I dunno dude. The way people on this forum chant, writhe, talk-in-tongues and piss and moan every time the term "$th Street" comes up, I just assumed everything...from the trash cans to the silverware was paid for with someone's tax dollars...

Mark R. wrote:I am glad to hear that the food and beer were good unlike many of the places in 4th Street Live. Did you get to see a menu? What is their pricing going to be like?

Here's a link to the menu. BTW, the Harvest Grilled Chicken Salad was -rockstar-. Other notables included the BBQ Chicken pizza (with genuine never been microwaved roasted chicken no less), the Blue Cheese Chips were great as were the fries (regular and sweet potato). Contrary to a previous report, we found the Lobster/Shrimp pasta to be dyno-mite. The menu also features 8 vegetarian and/or vegan dishes so there is something for everyone. We're going back...soon....with friends.

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/resources/ ... 012_lo.pdf
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for the menu link! They certainly have some interesting sounding menu items with lots of variety. The prices don't look terrible, maybe a little higher than a lot of places but I'm sure they have high overhead costs and most of the customers who go to $th Street don't have money as their top priority anyway.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 am

We ate at on of these in Myrtle Beach, I think it is a great addition to 4SL. I don't really remember the food but the atmosphere was pretty cool for a chain restaurant. I mean it beats the hell out of hard rock cafe or TGI Fridays or some of the other restaurants that have been at 4SL.

I know many will complain about it being a chain and why can't we get a local in 4SL, but at this point I don't even care any more. To be honest there are lots of good local restaurants downtown so let 4SL have their chains. The convention crowds probably like the familiarity anyway. Some will probably say the beers are not up to par, but if its a stepping stone for the masses to try new things I don't really see how thats so bad.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Per Facebook - Gordon Biersch is a new stop on the First Friday Trolly. They are extending their "happy hour" prices until 8pm to accommodate Trolliers.
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

by Ryan Rogers » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:40 am

Normally I would have absolutely zero interest in visiting this establishment, but I happened to meet the Chef for GB at Bank Street Brewhouse a few days ago and the guy sounds like he is on it. Anyone that is serious about line sweeps, clean stations, and organization usually ends up having pretty solid food coming out of their kitchen.
I will now be adding it to my short list.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 am

Per their Facebook page, Gordon Biersch raised $6800 for the Louisville Boys and Girls Haven during their Grand Opening. Nicely done !!! Welcome to the community.
no avatar
User

Mark Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

by Mark Gilley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Jason G wrote:We ate at on of these in Myrtle Beach, I think it is a great addition to 4SL. I don't really remember the food but the atmosphere was pretty cool for a chain restaurant. I mean it beats the hell out of hard rock cafe or TGI Fridays or some of the other restaurants that have been at 4SL.

I know many will complain about it being a chain and why can't we get a local in 4SL, but at this point I don't even care any more. To be honest there are lots of good local restaurants downtown so let 4SL have their chains. The convention crowds probably like the familiarity anyway. Some will probably say the beers are not up to par, but if its a stepping stone for the masses to try new things I don't really see how thats so bad.

excellent post. I'm actually glad that there aren't any must-eat locals on 4sl, as that would force me to go there. I also like the idea of them serving "gateway" beers, maybe a little weak sauce, but in the end getting people to try new beer can only lead to good things. I ate at the gb in tempe, and while it was respectable, there are about fifty local joints that I would prefer, throw in the 4sl douchebaggery crowd, and it's very unlikely that anyone will see me there.

I do think they will be hugely successfull there, it's a perfect fit. it's also excellent that they are already contributing to local charity. welcome to the ville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Ok, I'm two years late. But after catching myself downtown for the orchestra concert last week with no dinner reservations, my bride and I defaulted to this place. All I can say is that it truly delivered exactly like one would expect from a chain. Blah. Never again.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:05 pm

TP Lowe wrote:the orchestra concert last week.

Which, by the way, was far more awesome than chain microbrew. :mrgreen: Sorry we didn't see you there!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Amen, Robin!