Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Do you go out to dinner the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 35
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

Question about the holidays...

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:50 am

Hi All--
It's Ashley, from Melillo's. I'm trying to figure out my holiday schedule and I need your help.

For foodies---do you go out to eat the weekend after Thanksgiving? We usually close the day after, and last year, closed on Saturday too (because of the numbers the year before). I've been in the business so long---I don't remember what I did before. For the weekend, do you stay in with family and friends, or like to dine out? I've been doing this for so long, I don't know what "normal" :D people do. ("Normal" being---people who get off work at a decent hour and go out to eat)

And, for restaurant owners/workers---what do you do? I know a lot depends on your location(if I were near the malls, I'd definitely be open), but as a rule---how's the weekend for business?

I'm really kinda torn---I don't want customers to come downtown to find out we're closed, but also, I don't want to waste money on payroll and overhead. Like I said before, we DO close the day after because the numbers are awful AND, it's Light Up Louisville, so anyone who comes downtown goes there. Two years ago, Saturday's numbers weren't great, so last year we closed.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

We usually go out

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:25 am

But we tend to avoid the Mall/shopping areas, and go someplace a bit off the beaten path
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:27 am

We never do. We're too busy with various family dinners throughout the weekend to have time to go out to eat Fri or Sat.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:30 am

we always do. after eating turkey and fixin's for two days in a row we need a break, and we need someone else to do the clean-up!
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:08 am

Hi Ashley --

I didn't vote in the poll because it is about 50-50 anymore. I would say we never go out on Friday because of leftovers. Lately, our family gatherings have been large enough though that all of the leftovers disappear and we may go out on Saturday.

Have you thought about maybe doing reservations only on that Saturday. If I recall, you typically don't take reservations but maybe you could come up with a fun theme (say, after the shopping and cooking, let us take care of you)?

Some day, I'll make it in to Mellilo's. I have been wanting to go for so long now.

Rebecca
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Question about the holidays...

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:45 am

michele melillo-clem wrote:I'm really kinda torn---I don't want customers to come downtown to find out we're closed, but also, I don't want to waste money on payroll and overhead. Like I said before, we DO close the day after because the numbers are awful AND, it's Light Up Louisville, so anyone who comes downtown goes there. Two years ago, Saturday's numbers weren't great, so last year we closed.

Ashley, if the numbers don't make sense for you, then there's your answer. Personally, though, like Ron said, even though I love cooking and eating at home, I also love to go out, and we're usually ready to hit the streets by Saturday of a long weekend. :)

I think Rebecca had a great idea ... do something special, and maybe make an exception to your usual rule and do it by reservation only. That way you'll have a better grasp on how it's going to go.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 am

Rebecca did have a great idea!!! Two years ago, on Saturday the numbers weren't great---BUT, that was TWO years ago. It's hard because I can't look at last year. Thanks everyone---I hope I get some more insight :roll:
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:06 am

My family actually does our Thanksgiving on the Saturday after the holiday. Scandalous, I realize. :lol:
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist