Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Unfiltered beer

by carla griffin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:33 am

I KNOW I can find help with this question in this forum. (Roger....are you there?)
My daughter has come back from Europe and tells me the only beer she had that she really enjoyed was 'unfiltered beer'. I'm not familiar with that term. What is it and can it be found here in any if our dining establishments or commercially?
Thanks ahead for your help.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

by Joe C » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 am

I am not much of a beer drinker but some beers, ex. Hefeweisen allow some fermentation in the bottle some some of the yeast settle out. It makes for cloudier beer but the left over yeast gives it some flavor.
In Shelbyville there is a bar called Sergio's that have a lot of different beers around 230. The owner is very knowledgeable about beer and beer making. He has several of the unfiltered beers available.
The food is good as well.

Joe
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:56 am

Not all unfiltered beers are cloudy. Hefe-Weizen, wheat beer with yeast, is meant to be consumed with the yeast. All of the local Brew Pubs serve some portion of their beer unfiltered; NABC and Cumberland Brews beers are all unfiltered.

Many import and Craft brewed beers are unfiltered yet clear (or bright in brewer's terms) and may or may not be labeled accordingly.

My guess is as Joe stated, your daughter was drinking Hefe-Weizen and many are available locally; Franziskaner, Spaten, Schneider Weisse, and Weihenstephaner to name a few.

German Beer Guide
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Zwickl

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Dave's got it, although I'd add that lately on the continent -- especially in places like Austria and even occasionally in Czech Republic -- it has become fashionable to offer unfiltered versions of otherwise crystal-clear mass market golden lagers. An example is "Zwickl" beer in Austria; it's now seen often in Vienna, and seems to be appealing to younger beer drinkers, as the older men still like their Schwecator (the Falls City of Vienna).
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Not to sound presumptuous but it does sound like her daughter was drinking a lot of wheat beers, unless she is a Michael Jackson protege, I would put my money on the wit and the hefe's, yes?
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:04 pm

You're right, and as Dave noted also. At the same time, walk into a pub in Vienna and ask for an unfiltered beer, and chances are you'll be served a golden lager. If she was served something unfiltered in an abnormally tall glass, then almost certainly it was a wheat ale.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:You're right, and as Dave noted also. At the same time, walk into a pub in Vienna and ask for an unfiltered beer, and chances are you'll be served a golden lager. If she was served something unfiltered in an abnormally tall glass, then almost certainly it was a wheat ale.

Ah Vienna. Sounds good to me......and so does the Hoptimus!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Spaten.

by Doogy R » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:25 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:My guess is as Joe stated, your daughter was drinking Hefe-Weizen and many are available locally; Franziskaner, Spaten, Schneider Weisse, and Weihenstephaner to name a few.German Beer Guide

I love Spaten Optimator. My girlfriend isn't a beer drinker (I know, I know, God forbid) but she really likes Spaten Optimator. When I get a 12 pack, I have to stash a few away to make sure I get my share. :lol:
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Christopher Rieger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Unfilterd wheat ales

by Christopher Rieger » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:32 pm

I was introduced to Franziskaner (on tap) about a year ago and unfiltered wheat ales are now among my favorites. I've gone through most that Liquor Barn has to offer and found Fraziskaner and Bell's Oberon to be some of the better ones I tried, at least in bottles.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:23 am

Followed up with the information readers were kind enough to share. Noticed a 6 pk of Shiner, Hefeweizln at the store had added yeast (and a cool label). After trying it I can see the attraction. There was an added dimension that was very soft and gentle on the back palette. It definitely toned down any 'bite' the beer might have had otherwise. Pretty good for a bottled beer. It also added some nice notes when I added 1/2 bottle to my chili pot!
Thanks for the education guys!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

Smoked beer

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:56 am

Next time you make chili, try smoked beer. You'll be amazed.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Unfilterd wheat ales

by Gretchen D. » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:47 pm

Christopher Rieger wrote:... and Bell's Oberon to be some of the better ones I tried, at least in bottles.

Did you ever have the opportunity to try Bell's Wheat Love? AMAZING!!! Too bad you can't get it anymore :cry: Cheers!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:36 pm

carla griffin wrote:Followed up with the information readers were kind enough to share. Noticed a 6 pk of Shiner, Hefeweizln at the store had added yeast (and a cool label). After trying it I can see the attraction. There was an added dimension that was very soft and gentle on the back palette. It definitely toned down any 'bite' the beer might have had otherwise. Pretty good for a bottled beer. It also added some nice notes when I added 1/2 bottle to my chili pot!
Thanks for the education guys!

If you like that one, here is a small list of others you should try:
All can be found at a liquor barn or other large liquor store.

Hoegaarden (prounounced whogarden)
Blanche De Chambly
Blanche de Namur
Paulaner hefe
Pinkus hefe
Spaten Franziskaner Hefe

There are also American brands that dabble in Hefe and wit. A big one that comes to mind is Blue Moon. Miller bought Celis (Hoegaarden guy) so there is a Celis White that can be found sometimes.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Re: Smoked beer

by John R. » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:41 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Next time you make chili, try smoked beer. You'll be amazed.

My first experience with a Rauchbier was Schlenkerla. Freaked me out at first then I started digging it. Not one of those "all the time" beers, thats for sure. Amazing how well they go with "hearty" meals and smoked meats.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:28 pm

[quote="John R]
If you like that one, here is a small list of others you should try:
All can be found at a liquor barn or other large liquor store.

Hoegaarden (prounounced whogarden)
Blanche De Chambly
Blanche de Namur
Paulaner hefe
Pinkus hefe
Spaten Franziskaner Hefe

There are also American brands that dabble in Hefe and wit. A big one that comes to mind is Blue Moon. Miller bought Celis (Hoegaarden guy) so there is a Celis White that can be found sometimes.[/quote]

The Celis Brand is owned by the Michigan Brewing Company which also purchased the original (US-version) Celis Brewhouse. We have three of the old Celis Labelers we use for our beers.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
Next