Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Unfiltered beer

no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:41 am

David R. Pierce wrote:[

eeeeeek! I forgot the rest of my thought, which was "and Michigan bought from Miller". I type inner monologue too much....and don't complete it typically. Thanks for the correction.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:03 pm

I have a question or comment for you David. I have been out of the beer loop for years so I just noticed that you are in the old Pipkin place, and probably have for some time, ha! ...see, out of the loop.

Anyway, I have a particular affinity for the altbeir, great rendition. I just have one comment though and it's about your bottling. I have noticed that BBC bottled brew has a very distiguishable, but managable, metallic flavor. This isn't something that appears in the tapped versions, only bottles. Have you heard any of this before? It's almost as if the flavor of the hops transforms when it hits the bottle. Curiously enough but probably not related, Pipkin used to have that characteristic in its bottling.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:37 pm

John R. wrote:I have a question or comment for you David. I have been out of the beer loop for years so I just noticed that you are in the old Pipkin place, and probably have for some time, ha! ...see, out of the loop.

Anyway, I have a particular affinity for the altbeir, great rendition. I just have one comment though and it's about your bottling. I have noticed that BBC bottled brew has a very distiguishable, but managable, metallic flavor. This isn't something that appears in the tapped versions, only bottles. Have you heard any of this before? It's almost as if the flavor of the hops transforms when it hits the bottle. Curiously enough but probably not related, Pipkin used to have that characteristic in its bottling.

We moved in here in April 2001, so no loop left.

Are you drinking the beer from the bottle? If so, you are tasting cap rust on the neck. All beer should be poured into a proper drinking vessel prior to consumption.

If not, I'm not sure. It is probably low-grade oxidation picked-up in the bottling process. We installed a new bottling line two years ago as the old Pipkin bottling line was a piece of cr*p.

Pipkin and BBC had used Diatomaceous Earth as a filter agent for years. DE can impart a metallic flavor to beer so, in my never ending quest to improve BBC Beers, I switched to Perlite four years ago to minimize any off-flavors.

Thank you for your comments and for supporting our local beer.

Don't buy beer from strangers, support your local brewery!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:31 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
John R. wrote:I have a question or comment for you David. I have been out of the beer loop for years so I just noticed that you are in the old Pipkin place, and probably have for some time, ha! ...see, out of the loop.

We moved in here in April 2001, so no loop left.

Are you drinking the beer from the bottle? If so, you are tasting cap rust on the neck. All beer should be poured into a proper drinking vessel prior to consumption.

If not, I'm not sure. It is probably low-grade oxidation picked-up in the bottling process. We installed a new bottling line two years ago as the old Pipkin bottling line was a piece of cr*p.

Pipkin and BBC had used Diatomaceous Earth as a filter agent for years. DE can impart a metallic flavor to beer so, in my never ending quest to improve BBC Beers, I switched to Perlite four years ago to minimize any off-flavors.

Thank you for your comments and for supporting our local beer.

Don't buy beer from strangers, support your local brewery!

You know, I would like to say that I pour them all in a glass but from time to time I will drink directly from the bottle. I shall experiment. I should know better than not to drink out of bottle since I consider myself a connoisseur or beer advocate since 95. I can remember back in 98 drinking a bottle of Piraat or an Affligem Triple, I cant remember exactly, at O'Sheas and a guy noticed I was drinking from the proper chalice. Based on this glassware he felt it his duty to ask me why I was drinking that "sissy" beer. Obviously, beer education wasn't full speed in Louisville as it is today. The curious thing was the beer in his hand was none other than that manly powerhouse of a beer.......Bud light. It was tough back in those days trying to break oneself from the American stereotyped beers. I guess I have the Marines to thank for that. It was even rougher trying to get people in Louisville to understand that there were really good beers out there. They need some beer sophistication. ha! Louisville has come a long way since then and I think that has a lot to do with you and few others.

You keep making, I keep drinking.
Previous