Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda H

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Louisville, KY

Real chicago Hotdog and Italian Beef Sandwich

by Linda H » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 pm

A friend of mine told me she found a little place who served the best Italian beef sandwiches she's had in a along time....Today, we met there for lunch. Having never had one before, I must say that I am hooked.
My friend used to live in Chicago, so I take it on good authority that this is as close as it gets without making the trek.

Landy's Delight on Preston Highway just a half block north of Fern Valley Road prides itself in Real Chicago Hotdogs and Italian beef sandwiches and various other sandwiches & burgers...all at VERY reasonable prices.

I remember the place as a Dunkin Donuts--had no idea that it was now sandwiches, burgers, dogs and softserve. The next time, I can't wait to try the chicago hotdog. They also serve frozen yogurt as well.

If you want a quick Italian Beef sandwich or Chicago Dog, this is one place I recommend you try out. Landy's is a secret that shouldn't be kept.
Linda H.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 am

Lonnie's in St. Mathews does real good Chicago dogs etc. The italian combo has thin roast beef, an italian sausage, and killer peppers. Take some Pepcid. The place is run by a really nice couple.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:44 pm

This self proclaimed foodie can attest that Linda is speaking the truth. For $3.79 you get the chicago dog, homemade handcut fries and and drink.

That is a DEAL.

My dad had the italian beef and said it was great.

Brian 8)
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:16 pm

The Come Back Inn does GREAT Italian Beef bt no Chicago Dogs. On corner of Swain and Breckenridge.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Wanted to try Landy's...

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:39 pm

...but they close at 6:00PM!!! We went there and the doors were locked. It ia very difficult for us to get out very early for dinner, so I guess we save it for a weekend we are both off....maybe sometime in 2008!!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:27 am

I can second Lonnie's. Really good food and good prices.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 pm

and dont forget there homemade cakes....
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Which Chicago restaurant has the best Italian Beef sandwich?
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:13 pm

We went and checked out Landys. The place was very clean and very friendly service. I tried the italian beef and thought it to be just okay. The meat had good texture but lacked flavor. Also the bread seemed off.We also got a chicago dog that was pretty good but was missing the celery salt. The salt is one of the things that all chicago dogs should have. We also liked the homemade chips they have. I would stop in for dog if I was nearby, but would have to say that Lonnies is still the closest thing to real chicago food in town. I think Lonnies is a bit less expensive as well.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:58 pm

As I am partial to Lonnie's I will let you know that they will not sacrifice their Chicago roots, for price or any other factor. I am a New Yorker and was always partial to Nathan's, but I am a firm believer in Vienna and Lonnie's does them up right.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Best Italian beef in Chicago?

by Gary Michael » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:14 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Which Chicago restaurant has the best Italian Beef sandwich?

Ron, my pick would be Al's #1. I think it's on Taylor Street in a former Italian immigrant neighborhood that's been mostly replaced by university expansion, public housing and gentrification. Counter service, no tables, just a shelf that wraps around the room where people stand and eat their sandwiches. Order your beef "wet" and you'll have to eat it with your elbows at right angles to your body to keep the jus from dripping on your shoes. And like a classic kosher deli, you better damn well know what you want when the guy takes asks for your order!
no avatar
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 pm

Al's is great. I totally miss going to that place. I went to high school behind Al's and would stop in for a beef before going home for dinner. I wish I could still eat like that. Lonnie's is really good for a quick fix, but nothing is like Al's.