Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

880

Joined

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Location

Cherokee Triangle

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Antonia L » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 am

Carla G wrote:
DanB wrote:.....you remember what Muhammad Ali Blvd used to be called.


Chestnut Street?


Walnut.
User avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

2773

Joined

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Carla G » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 am

That's it! So silly of me.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21172

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 am

Carla G wrote:
DanB wrote:.....you remember what Muhammad Ali Blvd used to be called.


Chestnut Street?

Walnut. Chestnut is still extant. :)
User avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

501

Joined

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Location

Bullitt County KY

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by BevP » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't remember this as its name but my Mom used to refer to Liberty St as Fehr I think as in Fehr's brewery.
User avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

430

Joined

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Location

Highlands

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 pm

BevP wrote:I don't remember this as its name but my Mom used to refer to Liberty St as Fehr I think as in Fehr's brewery.


My wife told me Liberty Street used to be called Green Street. About a century ago it was the epicenter of a big time red light district. Nothing like it has existed locally in living memory. She chose it as the subject of a college research project since she was always interested in the history of Storyville in New Orleans and she says this was the closest analog in the area. I should try to talk her into doing walking or biking tours like Tom Owen. To hear her tell it, Green Street would keep a modern 24x7 news cycle nicely watered and fed.
Your are REALLY Louisville if you write your college project on THAT!
User avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

501

Joined

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Location

Bullitt County KY

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by BevP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:
BevP wrote:I don't remember this as its name but my Mom used to refer to Liberty St as Fehr I think as in Fehr's brewery.


My wife told me Liberty Street used to be called Green Street. About a century ago it was the epicenter of a big time red light district. Nothing like it has existed locally in living memory. She chose it as the subject of a college research project since she was always interested in the history of Storyville in New Orleans and she says this was the closest analog in the area. I should try to talk her into doing walking or biking tours like Tom Owen. To hear her tell it, Green Street would keep a modern 24x7 news cycle nicely watered and fed.
Your are REALLY Louisville if you write your college project on THAT!

Obviously Iam wrong on that one...maybe your wife could offer some insight into what street the brewery was on ...Thanks
User avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1732

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by David R. Pierce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 am

BevP wrote:Obviously Iam wrong on that one...maybe your wife could offer some insight into what street the brewery was on ...Thanks

Frank Fehr Brewing Co.
Address: Frank Fehr Brewing Company, 412 South Jackson Street, Louisville, Kentucky
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

501

Joined

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Location

Bullitt County KY

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by BevP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
BevP wrote:Obviously Iam wrong on that one...maybe your wife could offer some insight into what street the brewery was on ...Thanks

Frank Fehr Brewing Co.
Address: Frank Fehr Brewing Company, 412 South Jackson Street, Louisville, Kentucky

Thanks there was a Fehr st ..I googled it and found an obit or census that listed an address from some one that lived there..anyway thanks again....I checked with my sisters they thought like I did , but Mom has been gone since 87 so it would take some doing to ask her. :D
User avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1732

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by David R. Pierce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:42 am

BevP wrote:Thanks there was a Fehr st ..I googled it and found an obit or census that listed an address from some one that lived there..anyway thanks again....I checked with my sisters they thought like I did , but Mom has been gone since 87 so it would take some doing to ask her. :D

I didn't mean to imply there wasn't. I just thought we needed a Louisville brewery history lesson this morning.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

252

Joined

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Location

Louisville

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Ken Wilson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 am

You are so Louisville if... you can sing the Fehr's beer jingle with me:
Oh, it's always fair weather
When good fellows get together!
With Fehr's on the table
And a good song ringing clear!
User avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

430

Joined

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Location

Highlands

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:57 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
BevP wrote:Obviously Iam wrong on that one...maybe your wife could offer some insight into what street the brewery was on ...Thanks

Frank Fehr Brewing Co.
Address: Frank Fehr Brewing Company, 412 South Jackson Street, Louisville, Kentucky


Bev,
Your mother was right, but it's complicated. The address from David provides the necessary clue. I checked some old city maps from 1873, 1917 & 1932. Sometime between 1917 & 1932 the street changed names from Green to Liberty. Green / Liberty took a dog leg to the south at Preston and then continued east to Baxter as the relocated (or straightened) street does today. On the 1873 & 1917 maps it retains the name Green Street when it ends on Baxter. Fehr's appears to have taken up the block between Preston and Jackson at the point where Green / Liberty took the dog leg. The highest detail of the three maps is the 1932 one and the east edge stops just past Preston. On the 1932 map the resumption of the street heading east after the dog leg south on Preston is called Fehr Avenue! Since the map does not show any points farther east I can't tell if it was called Fehr all the way to Baxter or if just a portion of it was. In any case, some section of that street was definitely called Fehr Avenue at one time.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21172

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:00 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Your mother was right, but it's complicated.

That's generally consistent with my memory of reading Louisville history. (No, I'm not old enough to remember it personally. :lol: ) Green became Liberty during World War I - Green was the color of the old German empire, so it changed to "Liberty" in a burst of patriotism, much like "freedom fries" - but part of it was also called Fehr.
User avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

501

Joined

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Location

Bullitt County KY

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by BevP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:
BevP wrote:Obviously Iam wrong on that one...maybe your wife could offer some insight into what street the brewery was on ...Thanks

Frank Fehr Brewing Co.
Address: Frank Fehr Brewing Company, 412 South Jackson Street, Louisville, Kentucky


Bev,
Your mother was right, but it's complicated. The address from David provides the necessary clue. I checked some old city maps from 1873, 1917 & 1932. Sometime between 1917 & 1932 the street changed names from Green to Liberty. Green / Liberty took a dog leg to the south at Preston and then continued east to Baxter as the relocated (or straightened) street does today. On the 1873 & 1917 maps it retains the name Green Street when it ends on Baxter. Fehr's appears to have taken up the block between Preston and Jackson at the point where Green / Liberty took the dog leg. The highest detail of the three maps is the 1932 one and the east edge stops just past Preston. On the 1932 map the resumption of the street heading east after the dog leg south on Preston is called Fehr Avenue! Since the map does not show any points farther east I can't tell if it was called Fehr all the way to Baxter or if just a portion of it was. In any case, some section of that street was definitely called Fehr Avenue at one time.


Thanks for all your work on this ...My Grandmother lived in the Clarkdale housing projects when they were brand spanking new....1940's I am guessing. She passed in 69 and her building was already getting pretty rundown as I recall. She lived at Shelby and Liberty. This is why I remember Mom always referring to the street name. We passed by there today and all was left was a big dirt hill.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

226

Joined

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Willie Myers » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:You are so Louisville if... you can sing the Fehr's beer jingle with me:
Oh, it's always fair weather
When good fellows get together!
With Fehr's on the table
And a good song ringing clear!
Ken, I think that's "...with a STEIN on the table..." Anyone have a link to an old recording of it?
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

21172

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:24 pm


Willie Myers wrote:Anyone have a link to an old recording of it?

I couldn't find one on The Google, Willie, but thanks for bringing this fun old thread back to life! Meanwhile, here's a little souvenir for you. ...
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign