Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

crispy beef?

User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

crispy beef?

by NicoleP » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Do any forumites know of Chinese places around town that serve this dish? I know PF Changs offers a variation of it but I am talking more like..carry out cheap Chinese. I first had this at a hole in the wall in Baltimore and have been craving it since!
no avatar
User

Jeremy Lutes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jeremy Lutes » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm pretty sure Liang's in Springhurst has something on their menu called Crispy Beef...can't be sure it's exactly like what you're referring to, but it's worth a shot. Nice place with friendly service.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: crispy beef?

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:59 pm

NicoleP wrote:Do any forumites know of Chinese places around town that serve this dish? I know PF Changs offers a variation of it but I am talking more like..carry out cheap Chinese. I first had this at a hole in the wall in Baltimore and have been craving it since!

Try printing this out and asking at Oriental House ... if it's not on the Chinese menu, they might be willing to make it for you:

<b>gan bian niu rou si</b>
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:26 pm

:D :D Crispy Beef...Did some one say Well Done.... :D :D
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Crispy Beef

by Pam G » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:34 pm

I get Crispy Orange Beef at 888 Great Wall on Brownsboro Rd, across from the Summit.
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NicoleP » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:34 am

thanks everyone for the help..I went to 888 Great Wall but they only had orange beef and looked at me like I was crazy when I inquired about crispy beef. It is a szechuan dish where strips of beef (usually flank steak) is coated with crushed peppers and dry fried for a few minutes before adding a light sauce and shredded carrots.

I will try Robin's suggestion next!!! if that doesn't work I guess I will just go to PF Changs when I get a craving for it.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Crispy Beef

by Pam G » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:37 am

Sorry about the recommendation. The only Crispy Beef that I have had, has an spicy orange sauce, not a light sauce with carrots.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:10 pm

It's actually pretty easy to make. I use the recipe on about.com and it's not bad.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/szechua ... anbeef.htm
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:16 pm

John R. wrote:It's actually pretty easy to make. I use the recipe on about.com and it's not bad.

Here's a simpler and, I think, somewhat more authentic version from a source closer to home. Me.

Szechwan shredded beef

I'm not sure that giving recipes is an entirely responsive answer to a query about where to find a restaurant dish, but what the hell. ;)
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Here's a simpler and, I think, somewhat more authentic version from a source closer to home. Me.

After reading that I have visions of you holding a monocle while scoffing and working on your second melchior of wine. :P

I think my response was obvious. That dish is elusive so if you want it, here is the recipe. :P
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NicoleP » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:40 pm

I find it weird that it IS so elusive here. My husband works in the Baltimore/DC area and it is EVERYWHERE, in every Chinese restaurant.

Thanks for the recipes Robin et al!!!

Since it is only served at PF Changs, I will try to perfect it at home!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:43 pm

I will keep on the lookout for you Nicole :wink: