Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

More props for Mojito

no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

More props for Mojito

by Matt F » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:53 am

A friend and I had dinner at Mojito tonight and it was absolutely the BEST dining experience I can remember having in a long, long time.
I was greeted at the door by a certain Mr. Steve Higdon. A longtime friend whom I hadn't seen in months. He welcomed us with open arms and a cozy table in their enclosed (and comfortably warm) patio area. We were offered a couple of appetizers, which I encouraged Mr. Higdon to choose as he saw fit. THAT..... is when the magic began.
Mr. and Mrs. Martinez personally dropped by to welcome us. That sort of interaction and involvement with the guests on a human level is greatly appreciated.
We were sipping a Mojito (always great) and a Ten Cane, rocks, splash of fresh lime, when an order of classic guacamole with shaved , fried plantains as the chips. Clean, fresh....perfect. Shortly thereafter, a colorfully striking dish of tacos arrived with carnitas, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and chiles with slices of fresh lime and soft tortillas for wrapping. Several minutes later, two succulent, perfectly medium-rare lamb chops. At this point, my palate was very happy with me.
Then we were gifted with some of the best braised short ribs I've ever had. 12-hour Braised with Rioja wine and rich, earthy spices, served with very good garlic mashed potatoes, a little sliced red onion, and a wonderful reduction that may have contained some Port wine.
About halfway through the arrival of these wonderful plates, we had ordered the Paella Valencia for two. When it arrived, I was astounded, as well as unsure if I could even put a dent in it at his point. Saffron seasoned rice served in a traditional dish, with SOOOOOOO many great treasures peeking out at us: Chicken, mussels, calamari, shrimp, grouper, chorizo sausage, olives, tomatoes, peppers, and slices of fresh lemon (which a good squeeze of really did something to set the dish off). The Paella was rich, well- seasoned, and although I am of no Latino descent, I still tasted the way that a dish like this tastes cared for , and imparts a sense of comfort as well as being completely delicious. The Margarita I ordered was flawless, and was a perfect companion for the Paella. Bonus points for having enough left over for at least two more servings worth to take home.
By now I was considering throwing in the towel. As I was reaching for the proverbial 'towel', a stark-white, rectangular plate appeared on the table displaying a dome of silky, creamy goat cheese flan covered in rich caramel with a fresh strawberry garnish and dots of more liquid caramel. Three minutes later (and sitting squarely on Cloud Nine, by now) an order of fresh, warm, crispy-outside/tender-inside Churros signaled the final chapter of our gastronomic adventure. Served dusted in cinnamon and sugar with a side cup of warm, molten chocolate topped with whipped cream to dip the Churros in. I had one of them and could go no further. Not because I didn't find them totally delicious so much as because, well.. enough is simply enough.
My hat is all the way off to Mr. Higdon, Mr. and Mrs. Martinez, Lilliana, and the entire staff of Mojito. After nearly three hours that seemingly melted away, with no sense whatsoever of time dragging at all, I was left feeling very warm. Like I had spent time with great friends and family, and not ever like anything resembling 'just a customer'.
Thank all of you for the experience. After tonight, it is no secret to me why Mojito is doing such great business. And I don't see that changing any time soon.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Shhh

by Sherry Deatrick » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:13 pm

removed by author
Last edited by Sherry Deatrick on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:25 pm

I was there for Sun lunch and there were tables galore- you might try then.
I agree about the goat cheese flan- they presented me one for my birthday and I didn't have the heart to tell them that I hate flan. I took a small bite and then proceeded to devour the rest.
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.