Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Kashmir earns CJ's praise

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:34 am

Marty's smitten by Kashmir Indian in this week's Scene review, offering a friendly analysis without any nits at all that I can see; the words perhaps seem to read a half-star or so higher than his three-star rating. The only possible clue may lie in his analysis of the service (which many have found variable and sometimes brusque to the point of rudeness), when he writes, "Over the years, I've grown to respect the service. In contrast to the Southern bonhomie that pervades the Louisville dining scene, Kashmir's service leans toward reserved, businesslike efficiency; you won't feel that your server is your new best friend, but you'll feel confident that dinner will arrive promptly and accurately. And sizzling." Um ... okay.

[url=http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe/RestaurantReviews/Profile.asp?businessid=47439]Kashmir sizzles
Dishes taste, sound good[/url]

<B>Kashmir Indian Restaurant</B>
1285 Bardstown Road
(502) 473-8765
http://www.kashmirlouisville.com/
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:40 am

I prefer the service where the server is there to do a job and do it in a professional manner. There is no reason that I ever need to know my server's name, much less his major in college, or what kind of problems he is having with his girlfriend.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:03 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I prefer the service where the server is there to do a job and do it in a professional manner. There is no reason that I ever need to know my server's name, much less his major in college, or what kind of problems he is having with his girlfriend.

I think we can all agree about that. Well ... I don't mind knowing the server's name if it's imparted discreetly. But what does this have to do with Kashmir's long-standing reputation for service that's brusque, careless and sometimes outright rude?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:57 am

I wasn't aware that Kashmir had this reputation. Does it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I wasn't aware that Kashmir had this reputation. Does it?

I think you could probably find a half-dozen separate discussions about it on the forum, although I don't recall it coming up recently. Certainly on the old forum. I'm reasonably sure of this, because I've seen it myself. Not outright, direct personal rudeness, maybe, but certainly its passive-aggressive cousin that takes the form of scowling and minimalist service. It was consistent enough for a while there to put me off enough to stop going regularly.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I wasn't aware that Kashmir had this reputation. Does it?

Following up, I searched the old forum and found at least three threads that bear on this. The usual diversity of opinion, but yes, I'd say they support the assertion that a good number of people have observed service lapses at Kashmir.

<b>Kashmir Gwen S. 01-Oct-2006 18:33</b>

<b>Kashmir Alise Oliver 27-Feb-2006 15:29</b>

<b>Is Kashmir slipping? Robin Garr 16-Jul-2005 16:21</b>
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:23 pm

I'll stick with my Shalimar. Their interior combined with their food makes it my regular place for my Indian cuisine fix.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Wow, I forgot about those threads. How odd that it almost seems to be the managerial philosophy of the restaurant to treat patrons poorly. Wonder how that is working out for them? Certainly not the Danny Meyer school of thought on hospitality.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

So, do take-out

by John Lisherness » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Kashmir's close proximity to me has made it one of my favorite spots for take-out. Their food travels very well, is well packed and the take-out servings are ample. Having said that, while waiting for my order in the crowded, cluttered and make-shift entrance, I sometimes worry what the kitchen must look like... but that thought is put aside at home when I dig into the spicy, aromatic chicken Tika Masala and the garlic naan.
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:service that's brusque, careless and sometimes outright rude

Makes me homesick for Jersey!
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:22 am

I like Kashmir a little. They are very hit and miss with a lot of their dishes. They lack consistency for me and it's the only Indian restaurant that is close. Having had a lot of Indian food in my life, I am not satisfied with any of Louisville's options. I tend to feel that way about a lot of Louisville restaurants actually but oh well. Shalimar used to be pretty darn good but since Maharaja has closed they seem to have started to be downright awful. I sent back samosa's 3 times in one sitting because they were undercooked. I would have sent the 4th try back but I just got tired of it and ate teh cold centered stuff. India Palace like Kashmir is very hit and miss as well.......I guess with all my travels that I get spoiled. Louisville does have some really good restaurants but also a lot of gaps but a bit unfair to compare to huge cities with 5000 restaurants.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:59 am

John R. wrote:Having had a lot of Indian food in my life, I am not satisfied with any of Louisville's options. I tend to feel that way about a lot of Louisville restaurants actually but oh well.

I can't speak to Indian restaurants but that sentiment really surprises me in regard to the rest of Lousiville's dining scene. I'd put the quality and variety of Louisville's restaurants up against almost every city in the country (with the obvious exceptions like NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago).

I know several very serious "foodies" from bigger cities, some even in the business, who hold Louisville's dining scene in ver high regard.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

For what it is........

by Bill Veneman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:42 am

Kashmir is good, but I enjoy India Palace MUCH more. Shalimar is nice as well......and both are closer to me than a hike to the Highlands......
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:01 pm

Well Ron, you left out the last sentence of my post. But I will say that perhaps people have preconceived notions about Louisville. I have found that many people imagine Louisville to be "un-cultured" rednecks. Aka, home of KFC. So I am not surprised that people would say they were impressed when they find out that we are cultured rednecks:). Louisville has a handful of restaurants that are absolutely stellar according to me. Blame my comments on my wanderlust and my uncontrollable urge to experience new and better things. I bore easily. It's adolescent to be sure but when I have really good food I tend to expect it and not want to patronize substandard to that level. Sometimes that is a restaurant in Louisville that sets the standard and sometimes it's a restaurant that I want to move to Louisville. I like Louisville so they should come to me. :P
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 pm

My guess is I travel about as much as anyone (just returned from twelve days in Europe, including Athens, Monaco, Sicily, Rome and other cities) and, while I can't say our white table cloth restaurants live up to Michelin three stars in Europe, I do find our food scene as being among the most interesting one could find for a city our size anywhere. Our high end places are generally consistent and creative, and our ethnic restaurants are enlightening and perhaps even challenging. I never get bored with our options. Just one other guy's opinion.
Next