Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Guacamole to soon be either expensive or simply not offered?

by Aaron Newton » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 am

Fires destroy one third of California avocado crop

Apparently the california wildfires have taken out a third of california's avocado crop, with more still in danger of being lost. The 60,000 acres of trees in california could be down to a mere 15,000 very soon. I wonder if we'll see guacamole simply raising in price or just disappearing from menus altogether while the trees are regrown, which will of course take years. I heard estimates on the radio that avocadoes could soon be up ten times the normal price. While I imagine the reality of the situation will be much less than the hype-line shilled by news programs, even 2-3 times the price would put a pinch on items using it as a chief ingredient...
User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

by Ray W. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Damn...I notice that everytime I visit Qdoba and ask for guacamole with my burrito...I get a "Guacamole is a little extra...Is that OK?"...I suppose now it will be: "Guacamole is a LOT EXTRA...Do you still want the Guacamole, Sir?"...
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:59 pm

Bummer. Avocados had already gotten so expensive this summer. Oh well, I guess it could be worse - like my house could be a pile of ashes.
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Tina Marsh » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:32 pm

you guys are making me miss my old home in california. we had a huge Hass avocado tree in the backyard. it was at least 30 feet tall and provided us with the most amazing crop of avocados. Right next to our huge lemon tree.

I admit, the citrus and the avocado trees are the only things I miss about California. But man...it was so wonderful to have such easy access.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:44 pm

I cannot imagine going to Mojito's and not being able to have the Guacamole! One of the best guacamole I have EVER had!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:19 pm

so much for the idea of guacamole as an alternative fuel source. back to corn on the cob.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

avocados

by Sonja W » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:50 pm

The best prices I've found for avocados are at the ValuMart in South Louisville.

Since it's not practical for me to drive to VietNam Kitchen every time I crave an avocado shake, I've concocted a home recipe:

1 avocado
dash of milk
ice
sugar

Whirl in a blender that can handle ice cubes. Pour into a glass. Raise a toast to Angie Dickinson.