Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

The Eight Beer Fantasy

by Stephen D » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Here's the menu, my friends. As always, I am open to suggestions. As we get closer, I will add some of the finer flourishes I am so fond of...

If you didn't catch it on the previous thread- Roger Baylor, the region's preeminent authority on beer will be speaking on the craft of brewing. I will be addressing pairing techniques. And everyone will just be plain... discussing!

Appertif Cocktail: Sam Adams Imperial Double Bock Shandy- Domaine de Canton, Boker's Bitters

River City Pale Ale
Surf and Turf of Devilled Eggs- House Cured Salmon Belly and Crispy Pancetta

Rivertown Helles Lager
U-8 Shrimp Cocktail with Russian 'Potato Salad'

Hoptimus Double IPA
Gorgonzolla Fondue with Filet Mignon and Mushroom 'Bourgogne Flavor'

Palate Cleanser: Jasmine/Lemon Granita

Upland Wheat
Persian Chicken Kabob with Sumac, Potato/Goat Cheese Fritter

BBC Nut Brown
Ash-E-Reshteh (Persian Whey Noodle Vegetable Soup,) Mir Poix Powder

Southern Tier Chocolate Stout
Mocha Pate', Creme Anglaise, Berries

Digestif Cocktail: BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout, Fernet Branca, Espresso-Walnut Gomme

With 3 oz pours, this brings the total imbibed to just over two drinks (because I'll be adding spirits to the cocktails.)

Price: $35, plus tax and gratuity

Sunday, January 29th at 2:30
Majid's
3930 Chenoweth Ln
Last edited by Stephen D on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: The Eight Beer Fantasy

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm busy doing my homework!
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 am

Is this something only for the board, or can I publicize it elsewhere?
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Is this something only for the board, or can I publicize it elsewhere?

Please do, sir!

I'd love to have a fun mix of people from here with people that don't necissarily kow about LHB. Then the latter group could find out about this place and come join us...
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:25 pm

This is next Sunday, isn't it? Any other hotbyters planning to attend? I'll be there! The menu looks very intriguing, Stephen. I'm missing the winter fest in Indy (1st absence in three years) to do this, but I know it'll absolutely be worth it.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:38 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I'm missing the winter fest in Indy (1st absence in three years) to do this, but I know it'll absolutely be worth it.

No pressure.
:wink:
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Jackie R. wrote:This is next Sunday, isn't it? Any other hotbyters planning to attend? I'll be there! The menu looks very intriguing, Stephen. I'm missing the winter fest in Indy (1st absence in three years) to do this, but I know it'll absolutely be worth it.

I will be there as well. See you soon Jax! Oh and Stephen, if there any whiskey reps in the bar when I arrive, could you please point them out to me......before I insult them? Cheers!
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:25 pm

If this keeps up, I'm really going to have to bring my "A" game.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Antonia L wrote:
Jackie R. wrote:I'm missing the winter fest in Indy (1st absence in three years) to do this, but I know it'll absolutely be worth it.

No pressure.
:wink:

I know, right? Hundreds of beer samples or Stephen and Roger? No contest! But you know this ;-).

And to be fair, my friends and family decided to have our own brew fest at my sister's house in lieu of it. Once I declined for fear of being overcooked for one weekend, the whole gang followed suit and we're going for something a little less raucous. Looks like I'll still be drinking a lot of good beer for the entire weekend!
no avatar
User

Holly Hill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

by Holly Hill » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:31 pm

This looks like another fun tasting event. Count me in! Do we need to call to make reservations? Great beer, great food, and great company -- can't think of a better way to spend Sunday afternoon.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Hey Stephen - just wanna let you know that I have joining me. Can't wait!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Hey Stephen - just wanna let you know that I have joining me. Can't wait!

Add One- got it. We're rounding the bend and count is at 20 of 24 seats...
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I just returned from the Eight Beer Fantasy pairing at Majid's. For those of you who were at the Whiskey Roulette I would say that for me this actually topped that experience in terms of food/beverage/presentation. It was not as much fun though because you guys weren't there!

There was a full house for this one; I believe 22 - 24 people. Everyone was very social and there was a lot more cross discussion this time. Roger Baylor did a masterful job of describing the beer making process and how it applied to the different beers we were sampling. His colorful descriptions included personal anecdotes from his travels in Europe and elicited many comments from the attendees. Roger is a consummate communicator and a natural teacher.

Stephen, was again the polished entertainer and he went well beyond the Roulette experience this time with an impressive array of small plates. What a meal! We had deviled eggs with ham and salmon, giant shrimp cocktail, filet mignon with mushrooms, Persian chicken with goat cheese fritters. My favorite was the dessert dish; fresh strawberries with Frangelico crème. That paired with the Chokolat Stout was sublime.

Of course he created a couple of beer based cocktails that were icing on the cake. In fact, the final, a digestif, was quite amazing. It was so concentrated and complex that it was like tasting port wine for the first time. Stephen described so many steps in the process for making this wonderful drink that my eyes glazed over and Roger commented that types like Stephen these days are as much akin to molecular chemists as bar tenders. Throughout, Joey and Majid were a whirlwind of activity, keeping us supplied with each course. At the end, Stephen introduced Chef Brandon Lewis to a huge round of applause.

My thanks to Joey, Majid, Chef Brandon, RogerB, and StephenD for a most excellent beer pairing on a wonderful Sunday afternoon!

P.S. Roger is planning a special beer pairing with the Frenchman for March. He is very excited about this and as he talked about the French cuisine and how it would be paired with the biere de garde I couldn't help but get excited too. I hope some of you decide to cross over and indulge in this decadent feast.

P.P.S Stephen, the BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout, Fernet Branca, Espresso-Walnut Gomme is a signature drink! I really want another. Are you sure everything in that is legal?
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for the props, mate!

We had a lot of fun hosting this one. Many thanks, again, to Roger for playing along and lending his sagacity to the crowd.

And what a crowd it was! I was very pleased to have sold out to a mix of demogrphics. LHB got a great plug, too- hopefully we'll see some new faces as a result...

Now, to plan for the next one.

:lol:
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 am

Shane Campbell wrote:P.P.S Stephen, the BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout, Fernet Branca, Espresso-Walnut Gomme is a signature drink! I really want another. Are you sure everything in that is legal?

Actually, I have a bouse-made bitter in the works that combines the leftovers of both the appertif and the digestif. A One-time-shot-kind of thing. I'll be tasting and developing the flavors on this for the next couple of months.

(and may just throw it out, at some point)

To the best of my knoweledge, nobody has made a beer-based bitter in the world, yet. Wish me luck!
Next