Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Greg Gapsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Hills of So. Indiana

Heavy, dark, seeded Rye Bread

by Greg Gapsis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:11 pm

It's rainy and chill and I'm looking for some good dark rye bread and pumpernickel to go with my sausages, cheeses and soups.
Can anyone recommend local sources of authentic Westphalian-style pumpernickels, the ones pack with seeds and whole grains?
I'd also like to find good, heavy (3 to 4 pounds) torpedo loaves of dark rye bread with caraway seeds without having to drive to Chicago.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:27 pm

You don't have to drive to Chicago. That type of bread is plentiful in Cincinnati. At the Findley Market there are several german delis where they have the authentic heavy, dark, seeded ryes and pumpernickels. Some of the loaves are three feet long.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Harvest Bread used to do a hearty rye in October, but I have not been there this month. I know there is one on Charlestown Road. They are usually open to making what you want with a little notice.

I don't know of anywhere else locally, but Shapiro's in Indianpolis has a fantastic rye, just like Chicago.

Ed's Breads did one before they folded, but Ed is re-emerging soon soon with Breadmaker in Westport Commons. I am sure they will do it, but I don't know the opening date.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:36 pm

This line is from the website for Krause's in Findley Market:

The largest German bakery in North America supplies Krause's with dark Roggenbrot and Dimpflmeir German rye breads.
no avatar
User

JW Purple

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:34 pm

South End - Louisville

Dark rye

by JW Purple » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:40 pm

You may be able to find European-style bread like this at the Russian grocery on Old Bardstown Rd. near Six-Mile.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Whole Foods carries a delicious black Russian bread at their bakery counter.