Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Stars don't match words in CJ Perla del Pacifico review

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:20 am

Marty gets around to Perla del Pacifico, seems to love it (albeit somewhat inaccurately describing it as a "taqueria"), writes a 545-word review in which I can't find a single word that falls short of praise ... and rates it 2 1/2 stars. Pardon me, but I don't get it.

Ignoring the stars and sticking with the prose, however, he does a good job of describing the venue and the food. Makes me want to get back over there <i>soon</i>. (Speaking of the language barrier, by the way, I was touched to notice a while back that the management has included a printout of our Spanish-English food glossary from our July 6 LEO review in the new menus.)

[url=http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070317/SCENE02/703170363/1044]Not typical taqueria
La Perla del Pacifico has spicy way with seafood[/url]

<b>La Perla del Pacifico</b>
2840 Goose Creek Road
(502) 339-7670
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:25 am

I had the same impression, so I looked over it again. His criticisms are not major, but he does mention disappointments:

"though the shrimp were a mixed bag (some perfect, others mushy and unappealing), "

"And though an order of flan ($2.75) wasn't inspiring (served chilled in a plastic container that hardly enhanced its appearance), "

I think it goes back to your general disagreement on rating scales. A place like Perla is working of of a 3-3.5 scale from the beginning for Marty. I bet they get slammed anyway.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Stars don't match words in CJ Perla del Pacifico review

by Doogy R » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:15 am

If I hadn't known the star rating before reading the article, I would've figured Marty had given them 3 stars. I live so close to this place but have never been. This needs to be rectified asap. By the way, didn't Marty used to come to old board every once in a while? I have yet to see him here. :D
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm sure Marty is.....I hate to use the pejorative lurking.......looking on. Another seemingly slight disconnect between the words and the stars. I believe Charles, and the rest of us, are starting to get the slightly subtle shadings of Marty's style.

Unless of course you are bombed with a 1 star :shock:

Nothing subtle about that :lol:

PS.....GO CARDS :!: :!: :!:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:25 pm

Charles W. wrote:I had the same impression, so I looked over it again. His criticisms are not major, but he does mention disappointments:

I saw the flan but figured that was too minor a point to ding 'em a half-star over. I confess that I read past the "mushy and unappealing" shrimp reference. That would indeed be a deal-breaker, although I have been more lucky, I guess, never having had a bad shrimp there.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Stars don't match words in CJ Perla del Pacifico review

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Doogy R wrote:By the way, didn't Marty used to come to old board every once in a while? I have yet to see him here. :D

Marty participated here a lot before he went to work for Gannett, much less thereafter. I suspect they discourage it ... as I understand it, they forbid him to write for Food & Dining.

He's more than welcome here, of course. Since I take the liberty of reviewing his reviews, I'd be much happier if he felt free to respond when I screw it up. :oops:
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

La Perla

by Kim H » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:27 pm

We discovered this place before anything was posted about it here. I was going to post about this place and Sari Sari when we first discovered them at the Mardis Gras celebration last year. But I was shy. Anyway, it's really not fair for me to comment on one experience, but I had the shrimp diablo at La Perla (and I thought it was La Perla de Mer before?), and while the flavor was good, the shrimp was tough. Not mushy, tough. I remember thinking that they probably precooked the shrimp to toss in the requested dishes. But that's been a while, and we would still go back.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Same here Doogy...I live near the place and never knew it was there...
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Perla del Pacifico

by Doogy R » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:50 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Same here Doogy...I live near the place and never knew it was there...

I have always known it was there, just haven't made it there for unknown reasons.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:53 am

What do 2.5 stars equal on the C-J scale?
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:What do 2.5 stars equal on the C-J scale?

A "hole in the wall" restaurant with some really interesting and creative food, but with some disappointments.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

2.5 stars.

by Doogy R » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:20 pm

Charles W. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:What do 2.5 stars equal on the C-J scale?

A "hole in the wall" restaurant with some really interesting and creative food, but with some disappointments.

Or, a really nice restaurant that failed for the most part on the dining experience provided. :shock:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:48 am

I've looked on the C-J website but it does not seem to have a key to explain what the star rankings mean. I thought that it used to have that. Does anyone know what 2.5 stars is supposed to mean?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I've looked on the C-J website but it does not seem to have a key to explain what the star rankings mean. I thought that it used to have that. Does anyone know what 2.5 stars is supposed to mean?

stars

4 outstanding
3 1/2 excellent
3 very good
2 1/2 good
2 fair
1 poor

in the print edition
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:49 am

Thanks Steve.

So 2.5 stars means that a restaurant is good. I went back and read the La Perla review and Marty's description and opinions seem to comport quite well with a rating of "good".

I think Marty is on the right track by using the whole spectrum of the star scale. Riegler was too quick to give every place a 3 star or higher review. While that act of hyperbole might've been good for the ego of chefs and owners, it didn't really make for an overview of restaurants that delineated the truly excellent from the good.