Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

La Rosita.....holy cow!!

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

La Rosita.....holy cow!!

by Linda C » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:35 pm

My best bud and I played music and sang a wedding in New Albany. Upon leaving, I told her I was dying to try this restaurant. Nobody at the Methodist church had ever heard of it. The church secretary brought out 2 yellow pages books and could not find the address! Finally, we drove to a convenient store on State Street where I asked everyone there about it. Finally, one lady said she thought she had seen the sign, blah blah so we followed Market St until....voila!! At this point, I think even my best friend thought I was crazy!

Oh my goodness....the food was just amazing! I had the veggie enchiladas with green sauce. My friend had a shrimp quesadilla. You sure can tell the difference in homemade, everything from scratch ingredients. Our server was a friendly young lady who did a superb job. Water was always refilled, questions answered, etc. We were both SO impressed with the food, atmosphere and service! I will be back VERY soon. I just want to know why all the "New Albanians" have never heard of this place!!! VERY strange.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:37 pm

No one denies that New Albanians are, well, a bit behind the times. Here's the Top Ten list of why New Albanians don't know La Rosita's exists:

10. Many New Albanians have yet to concede that there is a Hispanic presence in the community.

9. Many of those who have noticed Hispanics are intimidated by them and persist in patronizing Taco Bell, since it’s advertised on television and as a result must be the best choice.

8. Chef Israel got tired of hearing New Albanians ask for “enchilada style,” so now refers all of them to whatever is left of Tumbleweed ... and they actually go.

7. The people who work in mini-marts all commute from outlying areas, flee after dark, and consequently know even less than the natives about New Albany’s life and times.

6. New Albanians have been so busy removing the mufflers from their motorcycles that they didn’t notice all the cars lined up outside 1515 East Market Street.

5. Who needs authentic Mexican food when the chicken and dumplings at Harvest Homecoming are so good AND so cheap?

4. Cultural diversity is outlawed by city council ordinance, although residents are still required to maintain a spittoon and keep a spare horseshoe in their trunks.

3. La Rosita’s has beer but not liquor, hence no dollar margarita night during the NASCAR race, as at Los Indios.

2. What? No burgers? How do you expect my wholesome, angelic child to eat in a place without burgers? Whaddya think this is, Tijuana? Big Buford, here we come.

1. The Yellow Pages remain useless if you were never taught to alphabetize, and besides, there are various religious injunctions against coveting your neighbor’s cilantro.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:58 pm

Yellow Pages... what a joke. If you look up my business, it is listed under "Keg The Liquors" I've been trying for 2 1/2 years to get the listing fixed, and I always get empty promises, as in "I've just made the change in the system, you will see this updated correctly next year when the new book comes out". Sadly, we are still Keg The Liquors.....
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:38 am

by David B » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 pm

Todd Antz wrote:Yellow Pages... what a joke. If you look up my business, it is listed under "Keg The Liquors" I've been trying for 2 1/2 years to get the listing fixed, and I always get empty promises, as in "I've just made the change in the system, you will see this updated correctly next year when the new book comes out". Sadly, we are still Keg The Liquors.....

That, while bad for you, is kinda funny.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:09 pm

I just wish La Rosita hadn't discontinued their empenadas.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:5. Who needs authentic Mexican food when the chicken and dumplings at Harvest Homecoming are so good AND so cheap?

I got my Harvest Homecoming food fix at the La Rosita booth, about two booths away from the nearest Chix/dumps.

Three chicken tacquitos an ear of mexi-corn and a bottle of Tamarindo pop for five bucks. Best deal of the night.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Greg Gapsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Hills of So. Indiana

Desperately

by Greg Gapsis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Restaurateurs hang their heads in grief and dismay at this challenge which, to be fair, applies to large swaths of the Louisville metro population and not just li’l ol’ N’Awbanee.

How many local cafes and restaurants have gone out of business while formula franchise operations, shilled by literal tsunamis of television advertising, are deemed more worthy? How often are unique, authentic cuisines avoided for homogenized, ‘don’t-scare-the-tourists’ bills of fare?

Yes, the north side of the river is still demonstrably provincial, not inclined to experimentation and tight with a buck. Yes, Roger’s nostrums are both humorous and true. Yes, Methodist church secretaries, as a demographic, are probably not gourmands. And, yes, Israel doesn’t pay exorbitant Yellow Pages rates (He does have a sole business section listing for the new Grant Line Road taqueria), probably because he’s found out his survival and success flows in different streambeds.

But, hey, you found it and were richly rewarded for your persistence. And I see it left an impression that has you sharing the experience with strangers. That seems to make both you and Israel winners.
no avatar
User

Greg Gapsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Hills of So. Indiana

Desperately Seeking La Rosita

by Greg Gapsis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Restaurateurs hang their heads in grief and dismay at this challenge which, to be fair, applies to large swaths of the Louisville metro population and not just li’l ol’ N’Awbanee.

How many local cafes and restaurants have gone out of business while formula franchise operations, shilled by literal tsunamis of television advertising, are deemed more worthy? How often are unique, authentic cuisines avoided for homogenized, ‘don’t-scare-the-tourists’ bills of fare?

Yes, the north side of the river is still demonstrably provincial, not inclined to experimentation and tight with a buck. Yes, Roger’s nostrums are both humorous and true. Yes, Methodist church secretaries, as a demographic, are probably not gourmands. And, yes, Israel doesn’t pay exorbitant Yellow Pages rates (He does have a sole business section listing for the new Grant Line Road taqueria), probably because he’s found out his survival and success flows in different streambeds.

But, hey, you found it and were richly rewarded for your persistence. And I see it left an impression that has you sharing the experience with strangers. That seems to make both you and Israel winners.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:59 pm

good food is worth the wait and a little adventure

many folks have yet to hear of the infamous or unfamous NABC right there in good ol n'albany

tell your friends
spread the word among the worthy

if everyone knew, then the wait would be longer
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Michelle Manker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:41 pm

by Michelle Manker » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:08 am

"Holy Cow!" is right!! My experience began as an endeavor to visit Bistro New Albany for the first time. Cary and I were just a few minutes too late for lunch so he wisely suggested La Rosita. Our timing was impeccable - the carnitas had just been pulled from the oven and they were as tender and flavorful and scrumptious (and plentiful) as one could wish for. This place is absolutely a new favorite!