Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Velocity's beer story may be worst yet

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Velocity's beer story may be worst yet

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:59 am

Okay, there's no nice way to say this. This may be one of the dumbest things I've ever read in a publication that's purportedly intended for grown-ups.

[url=http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/VELOCITY01/710170480/1065]<b>Cover Story</b>
25 Great Things About Beer
When all else fails, you've still got beer. Here's a tribute to its golden greatness.[/url]

It's salvaged, if only slightly, by a sidebar that gives a celeb-style treatment to Browning's brewer Brian Reymiller:

<b>Brian Reymiller brews the beer for the downtown restaurant Browning's</b>
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:29 pm

Of course it is dumb, but I assume it was meant to be funny. It was slightly so. I especially did agree with #11.

The Velocity itself is dumb. An awful lot of trees die for no purpose. I can't imagine real adults reading the thing. When I pick up a LEO there is usually a stack of Velocity next to it. I don't bother.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:07 pm

10 awful things about velocity

1- more ad space than anything i've ever seen before
2- the writing
3- the ability to dumb down any thing
4- continually "party crashing"
5- wasted paper
6- reviews for advertising policy
7- increasing ad rates
8- the ability to fit any article into a 1/4 page slot
9- the lack of art/culture news/articles
10- it gives the perception that louisvillians read/support it

just my 2 cents
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 pm

I guess they are reaching for that common demoninator.... I'm just not sure what that is.... what a waste of ink and paper this article was....
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:30 pm

(Upon closer examination, I've commented on the wrong bad article. Sorry. There are so many in Velocity that I became confused)

At the bar today, we were competing to point out the most out of date photo.

Eileen Martin at Browning's? Uhm, she's been gone (to Bloomington's Upland) for a while.

The Rich O's photo was from a C-J "smoking vs non-smoking" article from at least three years ago.

Really dreadful.
Last edited by Roger A. Baylor on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:32 pm

It was probably written by the same group that's doing the advertising campaign to get people to move to Louisville (not)! Both the ad campaign and this article seem to show the stupider side of Louisville instead of its sophisticated progress inside! At least now we know who to blame for the ad campaign! LOL
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:59 pm

The CJ apparently only has about 5 morgue photos that they trot out for all occasions. If they run that same old sad pic of the coal miner again, I swear I'm unsubscribing.

GG.
no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

omg

by Bill D » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 am

Dave P> I Can't believe you've not posted, you're probably still trying to get your jaw off the floor. Roger, I'm pretty sure the oldest pic is of Eileen. I left the brew tower the day it was taken. Gary G, I don't know you, but I will gladly foot the bill for a subscription to ANYTHING else.Peace, Love and Good Beer to us All.
Bill D
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
At the bar today, we were competing to point out the most out of date photo.

Eileen Martin at Browning's? Uhm, she's been gone (to Bloomington's Upland) for a while.

The Rich O's photo was from a C-J "smoking vs non-smoking" article from at least three years ago.

Really dreadful.

The craziest thing is Velocity has a brand new picture of Brian inside the back cover.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Velocity's worst cover story ever

by Scott_Shreffler » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:29 am

I would like to point out what I deem to be the biggest slap in the face to beer and those who love it. The bit on Flanagan's mentions that they have 20 taps, ranging "from Bud Light to tasty Stella Artois". One of these barely passes for beer, and the other is an over-hyped imported version of something that might barely pass for beer. Having been to Flanagan's in the last couple of days, I can tell you that they have Avery's New World Porter, Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale and Delerium Tremens, among many others, as well as a couple BBC brews, all on draft or cask. If we are really trying to elevate the beer culture in this city, (which, let's be honest, why would you write such an article if you weren't) these are the types of beers that are worth writing about. A-B spends millions upon millions a year hyping their swill. So why waste print on them in an article that is supposed to be extolling the virtues of everything that is good about beer, and the places who love it and love to serve it?
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:00 am

Scott, it's all because the piece in question was ill-conceived, cobbled together from bits and pieces of previous articles, and having no fundamental intent to perpetuate anything at all that might be identified as thoughtful or extolling much of anything worthwhile. The only thing about it that makes me happy is getting our name in print without having to pay for it, but even that joy is fairly short-lived considering the source of the placement.

In fact, the preceding paragraph aptly describes the Velocity experience as a whole, and has done so since the rag's unfortunate founding. Just as Budweiser is a flavorless alcohol delivery device, Velocity is a hollow vehicle for conveying advertising to a demographic largely unable to discern the difference between shills and content.

As I remarked to Dave Clancy yesterday, you can't fault vultures for picking at road kill. That's what they do. And what Velocity does is what it does.

Yep, I'm starting to feel my groove coming back.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bill D » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:42 pm

GROOVE ON & ON & ON ETC ...................................................BD Roger You shouldn't call it flavorless "cuz it has a flavor" call it what what you think it is or is not .(I'll be on your side.) I have not been around in a while but love the sound o' big hop fest @ a place i've not been to in quite a spell.
Bill D
no avatar
User

James Wise

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:11 am

Louisville KY

WTF??

by James Wise » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:46 am

Does Velocity still even have a photo staff or do they just pull from the same photo archive over and over again? We think the BBC picture was taken around 2003. Also a big thanks for using Beer is Food (trademarked) in the headline of a following story. Great job Velocity!!
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Mark R. wrote:It was probably written by the same group that's doing the advertising campaign to get people to move to Louisville (not)! Both the ad campaign and this article seem to show the stupider side of Louisville instead of its sophisticated progress inside! At least now we know who to blame for the ad campaign! LOL

Have you seen the Share Louisville spoofs? They are HI-larious!
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:Have you seen the Share Louisville spoofs? They are HI-larious!

That's the ad campaign I was talking about, it makes Louisville look backward, country and stupid. It's Gotta be hurting any chance Louisville has to look like a progressive city. It falls into the same level of stupidity as Velocity's beer article. Makes me think that Gannett corporation is trying to take Louisville down with it!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"