Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ballyhoo Baja Grill

User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

Ballyhoo Baja Grill

by Patrick Kelting » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Still looking for any info about Ballyhoo Baja Grill opening soon on Bardstown Rd. next to Penn Station & Sapparo's. Is it a chain or independant? A lot of money has been spent on signage.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Ballyhoo Baja Grill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:23 pm

Patrick Kelting wrote:Still looking for any info about Ballyhoo Baja Grill opening soon on Bardstown Rd. next to Penn Station & Sapparo's. Is it a chain or independant? A lot of money has been spent on signage.

Still clueless here ... the name "Baja Grill" suggests yet another entry in the "fresh burrito" concept, but I haven't been able to google up any evidence that it's a chain.
no avatar
User

Mark Allgeier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:04 pm

Fish Tacos

by Mark Allgeier » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 am

I really like the Fish Tacos here. Haven't really tried anything else though. I heard it was not a chain place . But who knows. Worth trying, just wished they stayed open later. Closes at 10.

Mark Allgeier
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Ballyhoo Baja Grill

by Doogy R » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:51 pm

I was talking to a buddy of mine today and he said he and his family just dined there. He compared them the Qdoba but said Ballyhoo is better. He said the burritos are huge and his family really liked the salsa bar. He mentioned a garlic habanero salsa that I am going to have to go try out.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

tiffany fabing

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm

by tiffany fabing » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:38 am

The fish tacos we tried there were great. My husband talked to the owner. He's from Nashville and is trying to expand.
no avatar
User

Leslie Ellis

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:27 am

by Leslie Ellis » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:18 pm

I've eaten there twice -- it's a block from home -- and have sampled the chicken, fish, steak and pork in tacos. All were great. Fish was crispy, and the meats and chicken were well spiced. This place is far better than any of the other Mexican fast food places that are popping up everywhere. Setting is nice -- the front windows fold back so there's an open air feel.
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

Another Opinion

by johnlannon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:26 pm

BBG seems to have sprung from the ashes of the Tortilla Flats store (or was it Tortilla Jacks?) at Brownsboro and Lime Kiln, or perhaps from the mind of the same Jimmy Buffet-obsessed designer. The store draws on the Qdoba, Chipotle concept but adds something those players don't: fish.

Fish tacos were very good, served with shaved onions, jicama and a refreshing, tangy-citrusy-sour cream-based sauce all piled on top of a generous piece of fried white fish. The batter is a bit too thick (think Long John Silvers), which distracts from the refreshing zing of the taco. All in all, though, this is the most interesting menu offering at any of the upscale, Mexican fastfood concept stores.

The salsa bar offers fresh pico de gallo, a slightly bitter tomatillo-based green salsa, a chipotle salsa and several other fresh sauces. Unfortunately, the garlic habanero salsa referred to in a previous post is a vinegar-based Tabasco clone that fails to rise above the vinegar. It does add spice if that's what you like, but the habanero and garlic are lost in the mix. The label of the garlic habanero sauce did suggest that the company is local as it is distributed by Ballyhoo Baja Grill in Louisville, KY.

Haven't tried the other offerings, but the pork is next on the list (again, Qdoba doesn't offer pork as the corporate number-crunching robots that quantify and shape the narrow American taste preference don't seem to acknowledge the existence of the almighty swine).

Ballyhoo is a welcome addition to the Bardstown Road restaurant scene. Hopefully, the hungry masses will take notice and keep this place afloat. While I don't expect them to put Qdoba out of business, they offer a differentiated product and a little bit of something for those who might want to eat a bit outside of their Mexican fastfood comfort zone.
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

Boombozz not affiliated

by Tony P. » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:36 pm

I have received numerous phone calls wondering if I an behind this concept because of the ties I had with Bazo's Baja Grill. I am not. I am glad to see the fish taco is still around. It was risky when I introduced this type of menu item five years ago, but it shows Louisvillians have a diverse palate!

Tony
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:20 pm

I live just across the way from this place. I've now had the fish taco and the shrimp taco (twice each), and they're both delicious. I also tried the quesadilla on spinach tortilla, which was also quite tasty. The ingredients seem fresh and healthy, and the salsa choices are good. So far, the only slight problem we've encountered is that some of the employees don't understand English too well, but the place is new and I'm sure that will work itself out. It's worth checking out. It's nice to have something a bit different on this stretch of Btown Rd.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

fish tacos

by Sonja W » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:45 pm

I had their fish tacos for the first time today and they are superb! John already did a good job describing the dish, but let me add that the combination of flavors and textures, plus that addictive crema sauce, are addicting!

Two tacos were a satisfying meal, all for about $5.50.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:13 pm

I've eaten there twice. I agree with the others - it's better than Qdoba.

One unique dish is the fish burrito - they use the same fried fish as in the tacos, but it's burrito style. My husband tried a pork dish and said the pineapple salsa on the salsa bar complimented it well.

I hope they stick around. :)