Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

Raising Cane's?

by Bryan Shepherd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Strictly rumor, but I was speaking with an older gentleman at Raising Cane's today after the UK/North Carolina game in Lexington and he stated that there were 2 new restaurants scheduled to open in Louisville in the near future. He said he did some advertising work with them.

Again, take it for what it's worth, as I don't know this guy from Adam.

The concept is a little odd, but their chicken tenders are incredibly good!!

Oh, and GO CATS!!
BShep
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Raising Cane's?

by RonnieD » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:39 pm

The do extremely well for having only 4 menu items and all of them are chicken fingers!

A few years ago they changed the recipe of their trademark "Cane's sauce" that you dip the chicken strips in. Not sure what they did, but it just ain't the same. For those of you not familiar, the Cane's sauce is pretty much the same stuff Joe's OK Bayou serves with Cajun Popcorn, or at least it used to be.

Will be nice to have them as an option in town, but it will be hard to top Indi's for my chicken finger fix
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Looks like Raising Cane's is opening directly across the street from Chick-fil-a.......chicken wars?
BShep
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:44 pm

I live less than a mile from the Springhurst location. What cracks me up...there's been a guy in a chicken suit waving a sign at that intersection for 2 days. The sign is for the new 24-hour workout place, next to Fuji. There's also a small strip mall going in behind Raising Cane's.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

by Matt K » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 am

I have eaten at Raising Cane's in Indianapolis, and it is wonderful! I was so happy to hear they were coming to Louisville. Much better than Zaxby's... and I absolutely refuse to eat at Chick-Fil-A (but that is for an entirely different thread :wink: Anyone else heard of where 2 other locations might be going?
no avatar
User

Helen Claiborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Prospect

by Helen Claiborne » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Cane's Facebook page says they are opening tomorrow with ribbon cutting at 9:30 am.
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm

They opened today and I had to pull in, since I pass it 25 times a day.

Wow. Those are really good chicken fingers!!! They're not something I eat often, but I'm impressed. I like that the batter isn't too thick and has just the right amount of salt and seasoning.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 pm

My four word review: Zaxby's is much better.
no avatar
User

Adam Arnold

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 am

by Adam Arnold » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I know Raising Cane's is decent in a pinch, but I wonder if the CEO is still adamantly against changing his frying oil? When the awareness of Trans Fat/PHOs increased, he was very outspoken against changing his oil.

If he is still using PHO to fry the chicken with, I'd probably have to continue to stay away from it.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 am

I haven't tried Cane's yet, and probably won't because I pack away more than enough calories as it is. However, my 16 year old walking stomach that can eat anything and not show it has been there twice in the last two days and has declared that their chicken fingers are the best he's ever tasted.

Their location should help them - I'd say they are slightly easier to access and escape from the Chick-fil-a.

Anyone know if they have anything half-way healthy?

Regards,

Doug
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:52 am

I'm not sure what the target demographic is for these guys but I'm guessing it's 16 year olds and under. I got the combo box and can speak with great authority now that I've tried everything on the menu. Chicken tenders - bland, moist. Cane sauce - bland, moist. Crinkle fries - I'm not a fan of crinkle cut fries but they were good enough with ketchup. Texas toast - warm, bland, moist. Coleslaw - bland, moist. Nothing was awful. But nothing made me say "I'd like more of that". I was hoping the Cane sauce would be horseradishy, but it reminded me of smooth Big Mac sauce. I won't be returning. For 8 bucks I can go to Chicken King and get spicy crunchy yummy fried chicken and sides that are good...and get $3 change back. I did try the freshly squeezed lemonade, an up sell, and it was, you guessed it - bland and moist.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 am

I tried it the other day, I have to agree that the fingers were too bland for my taste. However I will say the quality of the chicken was much better than probably any other place I've tried. The guy at the window told me they cut and batter the chicken in the store. They were also cooked well and weren't greasy or anything. I liked the sauce and the toast personally. The fries were fries, nothing special.

If you prefer a more spicy fried chicken, probably not the place for you. If you just like a good fried piece of chicken tender for dipping in sauce, which some people do, it's a good alternative.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm

We got take home tonight for dinner. It was just like Chik Fil A, in that you have to do a lap around the building (in a line) before you get to the inside line. (in other words, it was REALLY busy)

I was kind of jealous of the owner, because I felt that the place was raking in the bucks. We ordered two Canerators (or some such) one for my hubs, and one for my dd and I. It came to around twenty bucks. When we got up to the window to pay, they said their computer wasn't working correctly, and to go to the next window. I tried to give the people at the next window my credit card, but the guy said, "I wish I could let you pay, but our computers are down." and they gave us our food for free. I felt really bad for the owner, and will go back just to try to make it up a bit.

The chicken (imo) was excellent. Fresh and tender. The fries were average, the texas toast was good, and I don't eat coleslaw. John said it would have been good, but it wasn't cool. Oh, and we liked the sauce!

It's not bad for fast food, and it's REALLY good for chicken fingers.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 am

I dont eat fast food. :?
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 am

Doug Davis wrote:I dont eat fast food. :?

Fascinating. Please tell me more. :roll: :lol:
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
Next