Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

610 magnolia

no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

610 magnolia

by Jenny H » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:56 am

With my hubby's and my birthday both this month, we are looking to go out to eat for a nice meal. I have pretty mich decided on 610 Magnolia for a special experience. Did I make a good choice? Will this be a memorable time for us? We have never been to a restaurant with different courses before.
no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

610 Magnolia

by Jim Zoeller » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:43 am

Yes, great choice. My wife and I went to 610 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My food was absolutely wonderful, from first course to last. My only problem with our experience was our service. We've been to a few restaurants that serve 5 or 6 course meals, Equus and Oak Room, and 610's service did not compare. Our server seemed very new, could not answer any questions about the food or the wine, and generally none of the wait staff acted as though we were eating at a nice, upscale restaurant. Another issue I had with 610 Magnolia, is their lack of a wine presence (no sommelier, very few options by the glass, and no matching wine courses for their 6-course meal). But don't get me wrong, the food is excellent, just be aware their are other restaurants that will give you a better overall experience.
Jim Zoeller
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:00 pm

The lack of appropriate wine service is truly puzzling, since 610 has an excellent cellar and a wine shop across the street.
no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

610 magnolia

by Jenny H » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for your replies. We don't mind about the lack of wine options since we do not drink. But, I have read a review online that when their bill came, it ended up being like $150 per person. I saw on their website that it is $65 per person. Is the $65 correct? Was that reviewer's bill higher because maybe they got wine or something? We can't afford it to be $150 per person! I basically am wanting to try 610 magnolia because it seems like it would be a new experience for us and one that would be quite memorable. Thanks for the help!
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:24 pm

$65 per person is correct. However, I don't believe that includes drinks such as coffee, tea or sparkling water. You'll likely spend more than $65 X 2, but be careful and you won't go much over that.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Where is the wine shop across the street? I have never seen it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Sue H wrote:Where is the wine shop across the street? I have never seen it.

It's not a wine shop in the traditional sense, Sue. They've built a whole compound for catering and private parties across Sixth and just a small bit west (other side of the alley), and within that space is a full basement, cooled wine storage area that the restaurant uses for its cellar as well as to supply tastings. I believe that they're also licensed to sell wines at retail, but it's not like a wine shop where you just walk in and pick up a bottle for dinner. Most likely by appointment.