Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Boombozz pizza to Lexington?

no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 am

Boombozz pizza to Lexington?

by Danielle D » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:07 am

I heard a rumor that Tony Boombozz's pizza was going to open a restaurant in Lexington at Brannon Crossing. I think I've seen Tony himself post on here so I'm hoping he can set the record straight. If it's true, when do you plan to open?

On a similar note, why don't some of you fabulous chefs expand down to Lexington?!! We have very few local owned places but the ones we do have do great business. Mr. Lamas you'd be a great candidate with Seviche!!
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:21 am

Boomboz needs to expand across the river to Jeffersonville, before going all the way to Lexington.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:11 pm

I had a good dinner at Portofino the other night. I also had a nice meal at A La Lucie. With Metropol, Bellini, and the other downtown places, I'd say that Lex has a pretty good restaurant scene.
no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Danielle D » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Portofino's is good. a La Lucie is very hit or miss and you don't want to look in the kitchen - yuck! I've never been impressed with Metropol or Bellini's but I know Bellini's draws a decent crowd on the weekends. Maybe I just like the Louisville restaurants better because I don't have to see them every day.
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

sunny side

by BrianW » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Heard it from the manager of the eastend Boombozz about a month ago that they are indeed looking at sites in or near Jeffersonville, but the powers that be were more focused on the Fern Creek project at the time, so who knows. We can but hope they will come over here, because I think it's mostly a pizza wasteland otherwise (I do crave Pizza King everynow and then).

Brian
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:29 am

as i understand it, real estate (leasing or owning) costs in any location considered 'prime' in Lexington are outrageous.

Furthermore, the demographic clientèle frequenting Lexington tend to be more interested in steak and potatoes or a seafood grill.

The proliferation of chain restaurants and steak/chop/seafood houses in cities like Lexington or Indianapolis never ceases to amaze me.

Quite frankly, the shear variety of Louisville restaurants - in terms of cuisine, and from casual to upscale (across the board cuisine-wise) is astounding.

Cincinnati is up there as well, but if you really start looking into the larger markets within a few hundred miles of here (aside from Chicago, Cincinnati, Atlanta, DC and to lesser extents Nashville or St. Louis), interesting upscale restaurants seem to be almost non-existant.

Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc. seem to have a endless stream of the same shit you can get anywhere else.

When visiting family/vacationing in Michigan last fall, the only remotely interesting/worthwhile/exciting looking restaurant i found in the state was Tribute in Farmington Hills (which i was already familiar with).

go look at Opentable.com, or google search the 'top' restaurants in the cities i listed... if you want a steak, chop or seafood grill... you'll find it.
but nothing particularly unique, or 'original'

otherwise... stay home, or hit a 'destination' city.

Restaurants in this town have a hard enough time keeping their doors open in Louisville's dining market...

There's a definite over saturation of mid-tier places in Louisville - with not enough diners dining out regularly as it is... much less trying to branch into a market that the majority of the clientèle seems to be just as happy going to your 'cookie cutter tex-mex monday margarita joint' as opposed to Seviche or Havana Rumba and taking home a memorable food experience.

....shutting up now.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

Re: sunny side

by MikeG » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:19 am

BrianW wrote:Heard it from the manager of the eastend Boombozz about a month ago that they are indeed looking at sites in or near Jeffersonville, but the powers that be were more focused on the Fern Creek project at the time, so who knows. We can but hope they will come over here, because I think it's mostly a pizza wasteland otherwise (I do crave Pizza King everynow and then).

Brian

I love Rich-O's (I think it's the best pizza in the whole region), I just dont feel like making the drive some days and want something a little closer to home.

I usually get my Boombozz fix at work since the Springhurst location is right up the road.
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

Setting the record straight

by Tony P. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:23 am

Where do I start, the Lexington Market was purchased by Papa Johns and being renamed Boombastic with a new slogan "It's Just Better".

The rumor about a location "across the river" is actually a location "in the river", 40 feet below the surface where guests can experience what it truly feels like to be a fish.

All kidding aside, we are looking in Lexington and yes, "Across the river".

Tony
Dough Slapper
no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Danielle D » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:12 am

Are you kidding me? Papa freakin' Johns?! The site for Brannon Crossing development actually says Tony Boombozz pizza. So this is a lie? NO! It can't be. Please tell me that you're just not allowed to tell me that you are in fact coming.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:41 am

Danielle, at the end of Tony's post he states "All kidding aside".
no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Danielle D » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:45 am

Mike, I saw that but was unsure if he was kidding about Indiana, Lexington, or both. The Papa John's thing sounded like something they would try. Thanks for the clarification!
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:35 am

There are actually a few choice local/regional pizza establishments in the Lexington market. Pazzo's, Brooklyn Pizza, Puccini's, and Goodfellas are my favorites. Add to that Joe Bologna's, Mad Mushroom, Donato's, etc. (not to mention a zillion national chain locations) and you'll find quite a competitive pizza market. That said, Tony Boombozz is a local business that makes some stellar pies. I'd love to see them take some market share there.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 am

Papa John's is also a local place, technically. Heck, the first location is within walking distance for me.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:48 pm

I lived in Lexington from 1987 to 1994. Joe Bologna's was always the standard for pizza in that towm...and probably still is....