Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jackson's @ Lexington & Spring St.

no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Jackson's @ Lexington & Spring St.

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 am

I am not much of a coffee person, but a friend and I stopped there this morning, and I must say, that is some mighty fine coffee.

Anyone else been there yet? It's sort of a weird location, but hopefully they've carved a niche and will be there for a long time to come.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:57 am

Oh you didn't DRINK THE COFFEE did you?? Now they've got you! Just my personal opinion - best coffee in town. Hand's down.

Fabulous folks putting out a fabulous local product.

No - they don't pay me - I'm just hooked.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jackson's @ Lexington & Spring St.

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 am

Peg O'Neill wrote:I am not much of a coffee person, but a friend and I stopped there this morning, and I must say, that is some mighty fine coffee.

Anyone else been there yet? It's sort of a weird location, but hopefully they've carved a niche and will be there for a long time to come.

We've been following them since the very start, Peg, and I'm glad to say that both Christopher and Sondra from Jackson's participate often in the forum.

Here's a link to my report from last January:

Jackson's Organic Coffee
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:33 am

Are you saying this place is better than Sunergos? wow!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:41 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Are you saying this place is better than Sunergos? wow!

That would be a tough call because they both do coffee microroasting so very well. But certainly Christopher is every bit as "crazy" (in a good way) as the Sunergos guys. I wouldn't mind seeing them do an Iron Chef Coffee competition. ;)
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:51 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Are you saying this place is better than Sunergos? wow!

Oh, that's too hard a call to make :D . Let's just say they both are at the top of their game.
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

by johnlannon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm certainly not qualified to elaborate on the subtle differences between Jackson's and Sunergo's roasts, however, one area in which Jackson's really shines is iced cofee.

The first time I ordered iced coffee at Sunergo's, the barista politely explained that they don't do that and offered to prepare an iced Americano (which was delightful). I can only assume that their reasons have something to do with the fact that cooling hot coffee (as many of the coffee shops that offer iced coffee do) tends to produce a bitter, acidic and otherwise bland, brown juice. Only with a great deal of sugar and cream (i.e., The Dunkin' Donuts treatment) can one make such a beverage palatable. So, it's good that Sunergo's doesn't offer an iced coffee...

However, Jackson's gladly serves an iced coffee. And it's a revelation. The secret is cold brewing. In simple terms, one just throws the grinds in a bucket of water and waits, allowing the two ingredient to commingle over night. It sounds primitive. It is. And, when done right, it yields a powerful, almost sweet, concentrated coffee flavor without a bit of bitterness, tannin or acidity. Jackson's definitely does it right.

If you're looking for iced coffee, Jackson's is, without a doubt, the best in town.
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:25 am

Jackson's has the best drip and iced coffee in town.

They also have some awesome Ugandan coffee beans finely roasted in stock for your home pleasure.

This one is great as an espresso, or in a French press or vacuum pot.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 am

Finally got the nerve to post a reply... I love keeping up with this forum and occasionally posting on here but I still feel a little strange when it's about my coffee... with that off my chest Thank you very much for the kind words and support. Sondra and I are working hard to make great coffee and to get this new business going. To be mentioned with the guys from Sunergos means we are on the right track. I have nothing but respect for Matt and Eric and their coffee. Great guys who helped me a lot when I got going.

I have to say that Louisvillians are the greatest supporters of local businesses. When they can see people working hard, providing quality products, and trying to do the right thing, the city opens it's arms. Thank you again.

If I could just throw in my two cents on the future of coffee in Louisville. I am so excited about the new micro roasters in town and the general raised level of coffee quality, in the Highlands especially. I popped in to Ray's Monkey House last night, a new micro roaster on Bardstown road and loved the coffee. The theme was novel ( Kid friendly) and Their beautiful Probat Roaster was shining in the window.... very cool.

As a roaster, I am a big believer in healthy competition and that "all ships rise with the tide". If the level of coffee gets better more customers will created. Everyone wins.

I have a sense that this awareness of quality coffee is spreading and who knows perhaps we will one day rival one of the big West coast cities in coffee passion. Or at least make our mark as a bonafied coffee town in this part of the country. I hope so.

Obviously I love coffee and it's many benefits but I will save you from my ranting this time. I would urge all of the coffee lovers in this forum and even the non coffee people to have another look at the Java establishments in your neighborhoods and give them a try. If it's been a while since you have done the rounds, you will be in for a treat.

Hope to see you soon.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:04 pm

Every place would have good coffee if they had good barista's. Logo's, which is no-more, had a gal that knew how to steam,Derby City has a guy, I guess is Matthew, and one of the ladies at espresso days, that knows how to keep all that bitter stuff out of my coffee. I really really like Jackson's for my press coffee. His roasting is to very much to my liking. But most of the drip/press coffees I get from Sunergo's, Heine, Highland and even Java are pretty good and I have no complaints. But this town seriously lacks good barista's.

Oh and I have never been to Jackson's store so I have no idea of their steaming skills.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by christopher stockton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:20 am

John

I agree that one of the most important steps to delivering a great cup of coffee is the Barista. I am however always amazed at what it takes to get just the green beans to my shop and all the possible points of failure along the way. After roasting and then brewing it, it is a small miracle we get a good cup to drink at all.

Coffee is very hard to grow and process, due to the high altitudes that it is grown at ( the picture of Juan Valdez on a burrow going down a mountain is pretty much how it is in many parts) , Shipping and storage are another nightmare.

I always say that after all it took to get here I can't mess it up now.

To ensure that we make a decent brew Here at Jackson's, Sondra and I both visited Intelligentsia coffee roasters and brewers in Chicago, to get trained as baristas. We were both trained by Matt Riddle the reigning world Barista Champion. Since it is just the two of us running the store you can count on it being pretty consistent.

There are definitely some good baristas here in town and hopefully they are serving you.

Christopher Stockton
Jackson's Organic Coffee LLC
Office 502-569-0000
Fax 502-569-0000
Cell 502-649-6920
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:49 am

You make roasting seem tooooooo easy, Chris. :D I have cans coming out the wazzou.

There are a few and I make sure they are working before I go, which is strange, but when you have had a great capp or latte its difficult to expect anything less.

I have had Matt Riddle's coffee. He made me a 5 shotter latte (to test his skills) with a and it was not only smooth but one of the best latte's I have ever had. My girl anticipated major bitter flavor, was blown away and decided to keep it. To clear things up though, he was the 06 US champ but was 3rd in the WBC. The reigning WBC champ is an UK fella by the name of James Hoffman. An American has never won. The best show is second in 07 by Heather Perry.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by christopher stockton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks mate.

I stand corrected. I di-gress.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

christopher stockton wrote:
I agree that one of the most important steps to delivering a great cup of coffee is the Barista.

As someone shamelessly addicted to Christoper's work, I also want to point out that Matt at DCE does terrific things with other people's beans. If we make a list of all-star baristas, then Matt is in that group with Chris and Sondra and the Sunergos lads, IMO.