Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

How much do you usually spend for dinner for two?

$200 or more
No votes
$150 to $199
1%
$100 to $149
20%
$50 to $99
41%
$25 to $49
34%
Under $25
4%
I never dine out
No votes

Total votes : 96
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Robin, I responded and came out on the lower end of the average here because of that.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:12 am

MikeG wrote:Robin, I responded and came out on the lower end of the average here because of that.

Good deal, Mike! I just wanted to make sure that you (and any other non-winos) didn't feel neglected or left out. :)
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 am

Ethan Ray wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:We go to top tier places (Equus, Ferds, Volare, Saffron, Mayan Cafe, August Moon, etc) about once a month.

aside from Equus, and to a slightly lesser extent Volare;
i'm i the only one who doesn't think the other restaurants listed even hit close to 'top tier' (i'm talking the whole package).

Don't get me wrong, i love August Moon and loved the Mayan Gypsy (haven't been to the cafe yet), but i wouldn't ever consider any of these 'top tier' destinations...

in fact, i'd venture to say the owners of such places wouldn't either.

...here's two pennies.

Top Tier: Equus, Le Relais, 610 Magnolia, Oakroom,
Next Tier: L&N, Jack Fry's, Asiatique, Seviche, 211 Clover, Volare, Primo, Proof.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Dan Thomas wrote:Not to be taken for granted, I have "Chef Status" at a number of places and I know a number of people who will treat me like a "Rock Star" whenever I'm dining at certain establishments.(Chefs enjoy feeding other Chefs).

But I always tip on the gratis "treats" that I may receive so it usually works out to the same tariff as what any other person would pay!

...i always tip the difference in the comp. (in addition to tipping ridiculously more than i should anyway - hey, i work in the biz too)

for example:
If the bill would have been $100, but at least half of the bill was comped or was freebies...

I'd generally tip $40 pre-comp.
add the $50 difference, and tonight's lucky server get's a $90 tip on a $50 bill (because i walked in the door not expecting a comp; but also i budgeted in $150 for the evening.)

did that make sense?
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm not in your league in here in L'ville, but when it does happen to me I always pay for the comp through my tip- it is really only logical (at least to me, around the business all my life)
It is also a nice treat for the server since if a guest is being treated as a VIP the server often has more to do than usual.
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Tina Marsh » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:52 pm

while we'd like to spend in the $40 range on dinner, we usually find ourselves spending $60 to $80, depending on where we go. and every now and then, the $100 splurge dinner.

of course there are the $25 dinners at Vietnam Kitchen and other ethnic eaterys that we enjoy.

I'd say we eat out at one $25 dinner per week, one to two $50 dinners per week and probably one $80 dinner every two weeks. I cook at home the rest of the time. I love to cook.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:21 pm

Just a side note while talking about covering the price of a comp in the tip, if the kitchen is totally hooking you up, with not much extra effort on the servers part, I think it's nice to give the kitchen a percentage of the "extra" tip. Of course, tip the server a good percentage of what the check would have been if all items were paid for, but then pass a little something to the kitchen guys who also worked hard to give you a memorable experience.

(just my two cents)
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:
Dan Thomas wrote:Not to be taken for granted, I have "Chef Status" at a number of places and I know a number of people who will treat me like a "Rock Star" whenever I'm dining at certain establishments.(Chefs enjoy feeding other Chefs).

But I always tip on the gratis "treats" that I may receive so it usually works out to the same tariff as what any other person would pay!

...i always tip the difference in the comp. (in addition to tipping ridiculously more than i should anyway - hey, i work in the biz too)

for example:
If the bill would have been $100, but at least half of the bill was comped or was freebies...

I'd generally tip $40 pre-comp.
add the $50 difference, and tonight's lucky server get's a $90 tip on a $50 bill (because i walked in the door not expecting a comp; but also i budgeted in $150 for the evening.)

did that make sense?

So if the check was normally going to be $100, you would tip $40, so you would spend $140.

If half of the $100 check is comped, you still tip $40 plus you add the $50 difference of the comp reduction, so you would still spend $140.

You should just tell the restaurant to give the comp to your server.

When I get "comped" I never know the value of the comp because it is never the case that I get the check with part of it "comped". Instead, what usually happens is that the kitchen throws in an extra course or a dessert on the house. Because this is something that I did not order, I do not feel compelled to pay for it by adding the comp into my bill, but I certainly reflect it in the tip I leave.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:14 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
So if the check was normally going to be $100, you would tip $40, so you would spend $140.

If half of the $100 check is comped, you still tip $40 plus you add the $50 difference of the comp reduction, so you would still spend $140.

You should just tell the restaurant to give the comp to your server.

When I get "comped" I never know the value of the comp because it is never the case that I get the check with part of it "comped". Instead, what usually happens is that the kitchen throws in an extra course or a dessert on the house. Because this is something that I did not order, I do not feel compelled to pay for it by adding the comp into my bill, but I certainly reflect it in the tip I leave.

you read correctly.

generally speaking, i'm referring to i order... and when i get the bill, items i ordered and received were left of the bill.

if extra courses, etc. are included i reflect that in a rough estimation of perceived dollar value in the same manner as if i did know the exact dollar amount.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:57 pm

Golly, I hadn't even thought about the extras -- tips, etc. So that would bump us up considerably. Usually, anyway. We're generous tippers.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:08 am

Ron Johnson wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:We go to top tier places (Equus, Ferds, Volare, Saffron, Mayan Cafe, August Moon, etc) about once a month.

i'm i the only one who doesn't think the other restaurants listed even hit close to 'top tier' (i'm talking the whole package).

Don't get me wrong, i love August Moon and loved the Mayan Gypsy (haven't been to the cafe yet), but i wouldn't ever consider any of these 'top tier' destinations...

...here's two pennies.

Next Tier: L&N, Jack Fry's, Asiatique, Seviche, 211 Clover, Volare, Primo, Proof.

I guess the problem is "definition" of top tier. I wouldn't quibble with your list. What I mean by top tier is restaurants where you expect to spend in 50/100 dollars. White tablecloth, nice decor, good service, and reasonable value (does not mean cheap). This means almost all of Robins ratings in the 90's and high 80's. Obviously not Flabbys and Cottage Inn although I believe they belong in the 90's. In fact Flabbys would get a whole lot more of my business if it wasn't so far from me (Fern Creek).

I have been to all Ron's listed restaurant except Primo and Proof. I dislike overpriced and pretentions places and therefore Jeff Rubys, Ruths, and Mortons and a couple on Ron's list are always off my interest.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:16 am

Amy,

I agree with the concept:
if the kitchen is totally hooking you up, with not much extra effort on the servers part, I think it's nice to give the kitchen a percentage of the "extra" tip.

But how do you do that in practice? Do you leave the tip at the table and specify to the server that $5 is for the kitchen. Do you walk back to the kitchen and hand it to someone? :?

Also, what if it's the Exec Chef that is comping you dinner? We've had a couple of invites from a top local chef to come have dinner on them. In this case, would you tip the chef? (Obviously we tipped the server on the amount the food should have cost). Personally, I think of Exec Chefs like owners, and just like you'd never tip the owner of a salon, I 'd not think to tip the Exec Chef that invited us. Thoughts?
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:50 am

But how do you do that in practice? Do you leave the tip at the table and specify to the server that $5 is for the kitchen. Do you walk back to the kitchen and hand it to someone? Confused

Also, what if it's the Exec Chef that is comping you dinner? We've had a couple of invites from a top local chef to come have dinner on them. In this case, would you tip the chef? (Obviously we tipped the server on the amount the food should have cost). Personally, I think of Exec Chefs like owners, and just like you'd never tip the owner of a salon, I 'd not think to tip the Exec Chef that invited us. Thoughts?

I've done it both ways, depending upon the way the kitchen was set up (if it was an open kitchen, I'd just go hand it to the guys discreetly, if not, ask the server or the host(ess) to pass it along)

As far as an executive chef goes, it's really hard to answer. I know executive chefs that make hardly enough to support themselves and a tip would be greatly appreciated, but I also know some who might find it offensive. I'd love to hear any chefs input on this question. I would never want to offend, but I do think the kitchen staff is often under-appreciated and forgotten. Once, I purchased a round of drinks through my server for the kitchen staff to have when they got off. I would imagine that was appreciated, but is still not the same as a little cash.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:02 pm

Our tab is usually $100.oo-$150.00
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:

...here's two pennies.

I guess the problem is "definition" of top tier. I wouldn't quibble with your list. What I mean by top tier is restaurants where you expect to spend in 50/100 dollars. White tablecloth, nice decor, good service, and reasonable value (does not mean cheap). This means almost all of Robins ratings in the 90's and high 80's. Obviously not Flabbys and Cottage Inn although I believe they belong in the 90's. In fact Flabbys would get a whole lot more of my business if it wasn't so far from me (Fern Creek).

I have been to all Ron's listed restaurant except Primo and Proof. I dislike overpriced and pretentions places and therefore Jeff Rubys, Ruths, and Mortons and a couple on Ron's list are always off my interest.

Steve: I agree that Ruth's Chris and Morton's are over priced, but the meals that I have had at Ruby's, while certainly expensive, were well worth it. Excellent service, a killer wine list, prime steaks dry-aged on premises, side dishes that are not after-thoughts, and a cool atmosphere. It's a splurge to eat there, but I really enjoy it.
PreviousNext